derek west

Tescos
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:49:14 pm »
You guys all ready for the onslaught of carpet cleaners now tescos are closing down 40 branches, and thats just the start.

COLIN BRIGHT

Re: Tescos
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:19:34 pm »
i don't get it

Neil Worsnop

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 11:27:00 pm »
I think Derek means that a whole load of people will be looking for an easy, low cost, no effort required way of starting up in business and earning a fortune once their redundancy cheque lands.

Either that or now that Rug Doctor outlets will be reduced our phones will start to melt with the workload!!

derek west

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:42:07 pm »
I think Derek means that a whole load of people will be looking for an easy, low cost, no effort required way of starting up in business and earning a fortune once their redundancy cheque lands.

Either that or now that Rug Doctor outlets will be reduced our phones will start to melt with the workload!!

didnt think of the rug doctor route Neil, might just even itself out  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:38:00 am »
Or in 6months there will be lots of bargain equipment on ebay where they started up and then realised it's not as easy as they thought, or they thought all the needed was some gear and the work would magically appear ::)roll
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

neil 47

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 10:57:49 am »
Mike

Thats where I got a nice new airflex and magma heater from , she bought it all thinking it would be easy , bet it had only been used 7 or 8 times she lost £2000 on that .
IICRC

Dennis

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 12:32:58 pm »
Don't panic Waitrose to the rescue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31002298

derek west

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 12:57:10 pm »
Don't panic Waitrose to the rescue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31002298

PHEW!!! that was a close one, cheers dennis, panic over. plus aldi are takin on as well.

Personally i'm glad tescos are takin a dive, some of the underhand tactics they used to grow super fast were outrageous.

John Kelly

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 01:56:51 pm »
They don't get it do they, all these so called offer which weren't really offers and putting pressure on your suppliers to offer deals.
Wharburtons told them. When you supply Tesco you don't get paid until the product is sold. So technically even though its on Tesco's shelves it still belongs to the supplier. Tesco told Wharburtons that they were going to pay them less for the bread than had been agreed. Wharburtons, who have balls, went to every Tesco store and cleared the shelves of THEIR bread. Guess who backed down.
Aldi etc just offer good stuff at good prices, no bullpoop.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 02:42:46 pm »
I hope they pay me my 1,000,000.00 in floor cleaning services before they go. If not I will put a claim in to take over all their hire carpet cleaning equipment as part payment. so if any of you truck mounters are interested in hiring them from me i'll let you have a special rate ;)

Reg

derek west

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 02:46:57 pm »
love aldi, same quality as branded food only without paying superstars to promote it.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 03:36:16 pm »
They don't get it do they, all these so called offer which weren't really offers and putting pressure on your suppliers to offer deals.
Wharburtons told them. When you supply Tesco you don't get paid until the product is sold. So technically even though its on Tesco's shelves it still belongs to the supplier. Tesco told Wharburtons that they were going to pay them less for the bread than had been agreed. Wharburtons, who have balls, went to every Tesco store and cleared the shelves of THEIR bread. Guess who backed down.

You're right John but actually this is a fairly standard practice for lots of businesses. I can remember learning about this when I was doing my banking exams when we were discussing the theoretical break up value of a business. IE just because a company is holding large stock levels doesn't mean to say it doesn't belong to somebody else and therefore has no value in a break-up situation.

"A retention of title clause (also called a Romalpa clause in some jurisdictions) is a provision in a contract for the sale of goods that the title to the goods remains vested in the seller until certain obligations (usually payment of the purchase price) are fulfilled by the buyer."

Is it something you have on your invoices with any companies to whom you supply credit?

Rog

PS I suppose it's no different to cc'ers dumping waste water back on a carpet if they don't get paid!
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Grant Hay

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 04:45:51 pm »

Funny how you guys like bargain/discount supermarkets but don't like bargain/discount other carpet cleaners as they are de-valuing the industry.

Pin pulled hand granade thrown!!!

derek west

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 04:58:23 pm »
service industry, retail industry, massive difference when it comes to price.

£2 for a large bottle of pepsi max, wonder how much of that goes into advertising.

ive never seen aldis version of pepsi max being drank by any popstar superstar and thats why its 49 p and just as nice.

I wouldnt go for the cheapest plumber or electrician.

wayne zabel

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 05:37:49 pm »

Funny how you guys like bargain/discount supermarkets but don't like bargain/discount other carpet cleaners as they are de-valuing the industry.

Pin pulled hand granade thrown!!!

Its not always a like for like service with CC is it.

Buying the same product cheaper from different shops is.

Last week I looked at the prices of Jeyes Fluid for cleaning my patio.

B&Q £10.92 Next door in Homebargains same product £6.99

gwrightson

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 06:39:59 pm »

John K has made a good point re. supermarket and suppliers.

A very good friend of mine who is a wholesaler of fresh produce up until a few years ago was a salad grower, he had state of the art glass houses , and over a 100 acres of land for out door crops, he was approached by Tescos to supply produce to them, it did mean he was receiving a guaranteed price over a certain period albeit a low price it was  a viable proposal in a market that was always so unpredictable, all went reasonably well, a growing programme was worked out for the following season with them wanting a minimum amount of celery per week, until that is they decided to have a promotion on celery, buy 1 get 1 free. Guess what ?
They said to him we want so many extra this week because of the promotion and your supplying the free ones!!

What did he do?   told them to stuff themselves  for 2 reasons, 1  it would throw the rest of the growing programme out, and he was giving nothing away.  that was the end of the relationship.

Another local grower, who supplied potatoes to a supermarket, not Tesco,s had to invest a substantial amount of money in his facilities for grading, packing etc.. well over a £million ,
The very next year they dumped him and sent him under, they have no loyalty. ....

and did you know they only pay the majority of suppliers every 6 months, a nice lump of money  to be invested earning a good rate while the suppler struggles.
Not my favourite places to be supermarkets

geoff 
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

wynne jones

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 08:54:32 pm »
Just imagine if Aldi or Lidl decided to go into hire machines and wanted to offer quality equipment with encap or MS at a reasonable price.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

jim mca

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 09:12:07 pm »
Aldi already sell the Germans spotter

wynne jones

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 09:16:14 pm »
Yeah, I think its MS. Cheaper to buy up all their stock and put your label on top of theirs. LOL
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 06:47:49 pm »

You're right John but actually this is a fairly standard practice for lots of businesses. I can remember learning about this when I was doing my banking exams when we were discussing the theoretical break up value of a business. IE just because a company is holding large stock levels doesn't mean to say it doesn't belong to somebody else and therefore has no value in a break-up situation.

"A retention of title clause (also called a Romalpa clause in some jurisdictions) is a provision in a contract for the sale of goods that the title to the goods remains vested in the seller until certain obligations (usually payment of the purchase price) are fulfilled by the buyer."

Is it something you have on your invoices with any companies to whom you supply credit?

Rog

PS I suppose it's no different to cc'ers dumping waste water back on a carpet if they don't get paid!

Yeah but you Bankers picked on Us little Guys  who had to pay for their stock sharpish  and let people like tesco waterstone and Virgin get away with it  Not really sure how this works I check out Loads of Ltd Blind Companies at Company House. I am amazed how many have liabilities exceeding Assets  of Many Thousand Pounds You usually get Deposits if Blinds are supplied  your Customer either Pays  or owes you money if a Business so Assets should at least equal liabilities   

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 10:50:47 pm »
Ian

I assume you don't pay for the results you get when you make inquiries at Companies House. AS such the free public info is pretty meaningless.

I once bothered to look at my old business and the info available. On the limited info available I  certainly wouldn't have given credit to myself. But that is only half the story.

So for example a business can have a positive cash flow, be cash rich, but the accounts (which are simply a snap-shot in time) which may be skewed to minimize tax (as opposed to say skewed to show maximum profits ahead of the sale of a business).

But of course info is restricted to try and tempt you to buy a more detailed credit check.

Once upon a time suppliers would send a Status Enquiry direct to the bank of a potential customer. The answer you got would cost money and be supplied in a "form of code" (which was easy to understand if you read a few of the replies) and would give you a far more meaningful measure of the credit worthiness of any business and its ability to pay its debts as they fall due for if the bank gave an inaccurate assessment they could (and often were) sued for defamation.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 03:57:43 pm »
I look through Company Check