terrymaloy

Ever walked out in the middle of a job ?
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:34:02 pm »
I almost did today  >:(
Came across the rudest Indian family ever !

I actually turned up yesterday morning 9am as arranged, only to find the decorators still there  ???
When I asked what was going on, they said... "you come back tomorrow" ! (they didnt ask...just told me)
When I asked did it not occur to you to maybe ring me and let me know...she said you can always work round them.
I was in two minds just to forget it...but I put the job in my diary in as my last job today. Bad move !!

I took the booking over the phone...living room, stairs/landing (no hall) and bedroom. I walked into the house with the biggest carpeted hall you have seen..the living room which was average size was divided by a partition which opened up into a 30ft living area.
Hang on a minute...this is two rooms ? No its not...its one ! This went on for about ten minutes  >:(
On top of that there was so much clutter you could hardly see the carpet. Would they budge on the price I quoted...NO

I should have walked when the family began (there was about ten of them in the house) producing rugs thinking I was going to clean them for nowt !
No chance...its £20 a rug, then the bartering started.

For the next 3 hours I had to put up with them standing over me, picking fault and asking for more freebies.
Bearing in  mind it was hot and sticky on one of the hottest days of the year, I was'nt in the best of moods.

The final straw came, when I was finishing off..the old guy pipes up " I'm not happy, last guy better than you...you need to put more powder in"  >:( >:( >:( >:(
He wasnt amused when I replied, "excuse me sir, I dont tell you how to make curries, you dont tell me how to clean carpets"  ::)

Next time I walk.......rant over !

cannon

Re: Ever walked out in the middle of a job ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:08:40 am »
It can certainly be a challenge, ive had someone sit 2 steps up from me whilst cleaning  my way down a staircase, as i moved down a step they moved down a step.
They then followed me round the rest of the house carrying a chair and kept sitting a few feet away, I just kept giving her the odd squirt now and again (with my cleaning equip) good fun.  ;D

Another time I turned my back for a second and when i looked back he was furiously scrubbing away with my hand tool.

I always keep dirty water in machine and a bucket incase of payment disputes.

And this reminds me im owed a curry.

Russ Chadd

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 12:15:53 am »
I simply will not work for Indian people... When i get a phone call asking for a price i just tell them im too busy.

Billy Russell

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:17:30 am »
I simply will not work for Indian people... When i get a phone call asking for a price i just tell them im too busy.

Racist!!!
 ;) ;D

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 01:17:45 am »

Racist!!!
 ;) ;D

He's right though, they are a nightmare and life is too short to carry on with thier pish!!

Its not just the fact they are penny pintchers, thats only part of thier problem! They are very arrogant rude poos!

I dont work for any asians anymore. Someone else can deal with them or they can "vash" thier own carpets!

*Hector*

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:48:35 am »
When I was working and living in Leicester, I went to an Indian family to clean the "eating room" carpet.... Only quoted on the phone.... When I got there, there was the nastiest blacktop I have ever seen.... I was using a Craftex Grace in those days 2001 so told them no guarantees for stains etc...
Cleaned this carpet with crystal green and double clean and TFR ..... GOt the black top off and revealed a lovely axminster carpet covered in turmarik (no idea how to spell that) stains... This was 2 hours into the job a beautiful carpet with lots of little yellow stains.. I said not doing them (was not going down sod met route after all that time for £20) so the woman said you remove yellow or we not pay...

So I started packing up and all that was left out was the bottom half of the grace (full to the brim with dirty water... So I once again asked for the money...NO was the reply "you clean yellow off) so I just said "you no pay?? have your dirt back ... only fair" and tipped the lot back over the carpet..  felt really good....
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

wynne jones

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:02:27 am »
3hrs?

I would have gone in 3 minutes!

If they had said come back tomorrow I would have just said OK then.

Whilst you can generalise, I only discriminate on behaviour and ability to pay.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:13:09 am »
I walked from a job 2 weeks ago which was  living room booked over the phone in the next village,

It was in a summer house at the bottom of the garden, and although it was not a big room it meant I had to pull down the 80ft drive which was 12inches of loose gravel,  I could see my wheels spinning and shooting peddles at every window in the house, conservatory, and greenhouses...... No chance of me going down that drive!

She went berserk calling me every name under the sun, telling me how she had taken the day of work.

Not wanting to sidetrack the topic  butv every problem job I get is booked over the phone
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Warren Aldridge

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 07:20:43 am »
I walk out of plenty of jobs for the sake of my mental health.

I also work for a lot of Indians being close to Hounslow, Southall and Wembley, although I don't cover Southall and a large chunk of Wembley as they are the poorer lot that cant speak English most of the time. Some are very nice, others are the pits. I simply match the attitude. They are very good referrers

You have to understand their culture guys, In India it isn't as secure and safe as the UK, the contractors being cheap labour will most likely steal you out of house and home when you arent looking. Its a trust thing.

If you drive into a wealthy Indian area they all have 6 foot walls with gates and security cameras. Generally they dont trust each other so why would they trust you.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 07:24:13 am »
Anyone who is as rude as that on first encounter I would have walked I just don't want the hassle even if I need the money must admit Indian families can be abrupt I have had arguments with them also so I prefer not to deal with them.

Shaun

wynne jones

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 07:28:43 am »
Russ Chadd

You would think it's your prerogative to make statements like your earlier post, but I would recommend you delete your post.  ;)

Owen R

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 07:43:05 am »
Russ Chadd

You would think it's your prerogative to make statements like your earlier post, but I would recommend you delete your post.  ;)

Why  ???

wynne jones

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 07:48:17 am »
You cannot deny services on the grounds of race.

andrew stone

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 07:50:18 am »
i have been very wary of taking on any new asian customers since an incident that happened 10 years ago.
indian bloke started going on about wanting money off from when i arrived ,during the job and on completion.
when i refused point blank to give him a discount he went beserk. threw my money in the air,shoved me in the chest with both hands and spat on me!

i grabbed him round the neck,slammed him up against the wall in the hallway and come oh so close to belting him.

i told him i am now going to pick up my money and if you assault me again i am going to give you a kicking.

wiping the spit of my shirt i left the house.

never bothered sending him an annual reminder letter!

andrew

Mr Dvae

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 07:55:55 am »
I love bartering with indians, every time they argue the price down i put it up, when they say i'm being silly i ask them if they want a better price? they say yes and i say so do i it'll be £10 more every time you quibble, i remember on job i did, quoted £55 they ended up paying £80 after all time is money, bartering takes up my time.

Dave

from edge2edge

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 09:28:01 am »
This subject comes up from time to time and always will .I have a simple rule that if you dont respect the way ALAN works then ALAN aint gonna work with you to get your home/office nice and fresh.I wont argue the toss for hours because as soon as anyone(black/white/green  english albanian or whatever) gives me grieve and you can tell from their tone of voice,then i just leave..................Alan

gary hall

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 09:55:02 am »
I will put my thoughts down on this subject - and the answer I have found is very simple - never quote on the phone
 go see the potential client - identify their needs/expectations - ensure expectations can be met if not let them know  - give them a quote  - if happy book clean - do the clean to the best of  your ability - get paid - walk away ensuring client is happy ensuring original expectations have been met as per assessment stage.

If asked at cleaning stage to do extra work - charge extra

Never take any poop from anyone - if they give you poop - walk away - life is too short - but if you had assessed the situation prior to clean you can tell what type of people you are dealing with - ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THIS WORKS FOR ME - Gary

JandS

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 10:06:31 am »
As soon as I hear an Asian voice on the phone I ask
for their address. If it's in one of their "ghettos" I will
always go look at the job first as these tend to be the
dodgy ones, and the ones who tend to barter.
Always stick a bit extra on the starting bid, say £20,
then knock them a tenner off, keeps 'em happy.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Thomas Mckee

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 01:59:01 pm »
You cannot deny services on the grounds of race.

But you can deny it on the grounds of "customers an arsehole"

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 02:08:38 pm »
Russ Chadd

I don't and I'm with him.
Granted you'd be walking right into trouble if over the phone or face to face you said, "I don't work for you people" but there's nothing to stop you saying "I'm booked up till 2019" or price so high you know the 'customer' won't go for it.

As it is been there to with expecting brand new carpet from a trashed 12 year old one, along with the arguement over that room is called a living room not a hall and I priced up a hall. And I came within seconds of dumping the stinking dirty water back onto the carpet.