TVCS

oven cleaning products
« on: August 16, 2009, 11:05:28 pm »
hi folks,
we are moving house soon and the wife has informed me that when we do move I am the one that will be cleaning the oven. (well after 6 years,  it might be my turn  ;))
so to try and make the job a tad easier can anyone recommend a good product for such a job.  Or will the off the shelf stuff at the super market do it. 

cheers guys and gals
Ant
TVCS
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

vacman

Re: oven cleaning products
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:09:15 pm »
I employ a man to do mine, its the best £45 i spend.

CleanToGo1

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 11:25:27 am »
This is true ... to be honest unless u know what to do or what to use you wont be able to remove all the carbon.
Also there is a chance you may damage your appliance. get a pro in !

captain j

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:11:59 pm »
as this is the area of cleaning i work in I obviously agree with getting an expertin for the cost, someone who will know how to strip the doors down and clean the fan if one fitted.

Thanks

TVCS

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:53:55 pm »
I'm not trying to bring this cooker back to as good as new condition.  just trying to make it look like its been cleaned.   When we moved in 6 and a bit years ago it was dirty then so I am not going to town on it now. 
i take it no-one can recommend a product?

vacman

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 10:11:39 pm »
I guess not, its been that long since i decided that the £10 i was spending on products and the money i lost from not working the 3 hours it took me to clean the oven was SO not worth the cost of getting a man in.

I got the oven cleaned properly. At the same time i was supporting not only another small business but also a fellow cleaner.

To me it feels like a win-win situation, but then if you want a quick fix i would guess any off the shelf oven cleaner will be 'ok'?

SteveAllan

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:08:37 pm »
Depending where you are you could get someone in for around the £38 mark for a single oven, he'd be in and out in 90mins, makes no sense to struggle yourself with mr muscle for hours, false economy, dont be tight ;D

Adam P

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 04:32:35 pm »
i use vinegar/baking soda/salt/lemon or orange and a tooth brush to clean the doors, works really well, though it can take 15 or so minutes if it's bad.

also i let the trays soak in same stuff but also lots of water, comes off pretty easy given a few hours to sit.

for inside i don't have any good advice, never had an aweful oven to clean inside, just been using water and a microfibre cloth to get worst out

TVCS

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 09:57:14 pm »
thanks for the replies.   
I WILL do it myself as I dont see the point in paying someone to do what i can do.  (I manage to mow the lawn without paying someone ;D) Its not a case of being tight or depriving another cleaning company  ???>  I just thought there might be a good product to use or some tips on ones to avoid.
Cheers
Ant

vacman

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 10:14:04 pm »
thanks for the replies.   
I WILL do it myself as I dont see the point in paying someone to do what i can do.  Ant

Well, in my case, it's cheaper to do an extra  cleaning job in the area i know best, and use that money to pay an expert  ;D call it a present to myself as i loath oven cleaning. I have a lady who mows my lawn and a man who does my windows  ;D

deborah waters

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 01:00:20 pm »
you could try oven brite....comes with a wee bag to put trays/racks into and leave overnight.....no fumes but still caustic so good gloves! can buy in most big supermarkets for about 3 pounds ;)
Debs:-)

trevor perry

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 05:35:09 pm »
soak the trays etc in costic soda and hot water which you can buy from B and Q you can also clean most of oven with this but be careful it doesnt half burn so wear large gloves and mind of getting it anywhere else, but as already said i think you would be better paying a professional to do it for what they charge.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt