utopiacleaning

Staff Pay - CHristmas dispute
« on: January 29, 2007, 04:19:36 pm »
Wonder if you guys can help me.  I have a cleaner who works in a pub.  She was off sick for 1 week, but only earns £80 so if i am right she is not entitiled to SSP.  But on christmas day she sis not work as she could not get there so i covered the job for the day.  SHe is now telling me that i have to pay her for this day and boxing day as it was a bank holiday.  Is this right
Kirsty Twiner
utopia Cleaning Services Ltd

J. Deans

Re: Staff Pay - CHristmas dispute
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 06:43:24 pm »
Not sure about Christmas day, as she called in sick.

But there are guidelines from the DTI regarding holiday pay for part time workers. They go something like this.

Part time workers (prevention of less favourable treatment) EC Directive on Part time work and (amendment) Regulations 2002 (SI 2002/2035)

This directive basically means.
If you have no 'full time' employees, you cannot be accused of less favourable treatment by reducing a part timers holiday entitlement.

BUT:
The guidelines indicate that you should offer part time workers a % of the statuatory holiday entitlement that a full time worker would get.
The guide amount is based on fifths of the normal entitlement.

SO:
The statuatory entitlement is 15 days per year.
If your part timer works 2 days a week, then 2 fifths of 15 days = 6 days holiday entitlement. 3 days = 3 fifths etc. (The amount of holiday pay is an average of the normal hours worked on each day)
If she demands - and you pay her for Boxing day - she loses one of her days - simple.

Part time workers have the same rights as full timers if any of their working days  normally fall onto a statuatory bank holiday. So, if she normally works Christmas day, then she is entitled to holiday pay if you don't offer her any work. If you do offer her work, she is entitled to normal pay + holiday pay = Double Time!
But as she pulled a 'sickie' I am not sure.

Most of our work is on construction sites. They very rarely allow any work on statuatory bank holidays. So we don't normally have work and don't have to offer holiday pay to our part time staff as they can do the work on another day.

Try not to work at all on bank holidays (or just do it yourself)

Hope this helps...

Dust Knights

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 03:36:05 pm »
She's not entitled to SSP as her earnings are lower than the Lower Earnings Limit, therefore she wont be paying NI contributions which in turn means that she can't get the SSP.

Furthermore she's not entitled to pay for Xmas Day as she was absent from work. It wasn't booked holidays therefore no holiday pay.

It's also my understanding that if she wasn't at work the working day prior to the Bank Holiday then she isn't due to payment for the Bank Holiday (Boxing Day).

I'm not 100% sure of the last bit so may be worth your while contacting ACAS for advice.

Chris

utopiacleaning

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:49:49 pm »
thanks guys much appreciated i will contact ACAS
Kirsty Twiner
utopia Cleaning Services Ltd