TVCS

Hi. A big hello from T.V.C.S
« on: October 13, 2005, 08:48:49 am »
Hi.  Yet another new chap on the block (paving)  sorry.
Recently set up  in the pressure washing business and just stumbled apon this forum.   Teme Valley Cleaning Services are based in Worcestershire and at the moment I am working weekends as I still work my 9 till 5.  The jobs are slowly coming in, I say slowly but I have only been up and running for about 10 days. I am armed with a whirlaway 18"  and a little karcher, but am considering getting another petrol power washer as I dont like the idea of electric cables and water.  So basically any of you guys out there in forum land who feel like passing on any advice then it would be greatly received as I am still pretty green in the cleaning world.    Thanks for taking a look. :-X
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

CMS

Re: Hi. A big hello from T.V.C.S
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 11:26:18 am »
Hi T.V.C.S

I'm afraid I can't give you any advice as we're in a completely different area of cleaning but there will certainly be some advice later as there are loads of guys (and girls) in your field on here.

I just wanted to offer you a warm welcome to the forum, that's all.

Regards

CMS

Tim Downer

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:19:23 pm »
And another Welcome to the forum too from us here at PDS

Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

Paul Forster

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 06:39:10 pm »
Hi welcome to this forum I started off a pressure washing business as an of shoot to my existing grounds maintenance business this year and work has come in very well.

I use a 250 bar petrol washer ( bought from tech clean) coupled with a turbo lance and 18" wirlaway. if you are curently using a small machine you should notice an improvement in cleaning speed if you upgrade to the 200 - 250 bar spec machines. One usefull tip I use is to carry a couple of sheets of 6mm ply in order to section off shared drive and protect patio doors etc. One other tip is to get at least 30m of high pressure hose this way you can normaly clean front and back without moving the machine.

I recomend www.landypressurewasher.com for spares or new machines - they will build to your spec and offer exemplary customer service.

Regards Paul

TVCS

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 10:27:12 am »
What a response.  Cheers everyone.  Good tips.  I have been using thin sheets of light-weight but tough plastic for splash stopping.  Learnt the hardway after doing my nans house,  had to clean all the windows after doing her drive, the mean old croan insisted I did the back too, and inside.
I run the whirlaway on a 250 bar washer the little karcha is for vehicles really but I think a normal hose with a finger over the end would produce more pressure.  Maybe the seals have gone!  Hopefully going to splash out and get a petrol Karcha soon.  Its only 110 bar but it isn`t electric so better for on the move as it were.  Any thoughts people? :-\
As far as pricing is concerned, what is the average going rate. I realise it will differ from place to place.  .   I read somewhere about 4 pound per sq/m.  That sounds high to me.  I`m going at about 2.50 per sq/m and 3 pounds if they require sanding too.  As far as sealing, I dont offer it if they dont ask.  I have read a few horror stories here and there so have come to the conclusion that its best not to go there. 
Anyway, its almost been 2 weeks and the phone has been ringing with no flyers or anything yet.  Massive flyer drop in a week so lets see how things go.
Cheers one and all

Paul Forster

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 11:03:11 pm »
minimum price £150 or £100 (if very local) work priced by the hour with the aim of £250 plus  per day (8 /9 hours) I always factor in an extra £10 per day fuel if runing the machine 9 hour continual.

regards paul

mina

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 01:38:22 am »
Hello T.V.C.S
I've also recently started moving into pressure washing (after years in tree surgery) and so far so good, mostly work from existing tree work customers. Petrol or diesel powered machine is a must I would say for a business operation, the customer likes to see equipment that isn't on show at the local B&Q ! ;D
I use a 10m high pressure line plus a 20m extension if the job requires it, saves getting tangled up! Some customers water pressure/flow is not sufficient to supply the bigger machines (or even the smaller ones sometimes) so its a good idea to have your machine draw the water from a drum or tank of some sort (I use an old 150L plastic chemical drum) that is filled via the water supply. Just fit a standard toilet ball valve on it to prevent overflowing. Turbo lance for the corners, steps etc. Fine plastic mesh over drains and manholes to catch the mess or some use a wet&dry vacuum to hoover up all the gunk. On some drives that slope steeply towards the pavement I lay some old long socks filled with sand across the opening to stop most of the mess running into the street (had a complaint once !) Sorry if I've stated the obvious :D
Good luck
Oh yeah...insurance if you havent already!!
Stu

TVCS

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 11:25:27 pm »
Stu,
What a tip,  old footie socks.  Had been scratching my nogin about water stopping or diverting, had a few prices from chemical spillage companies that do `long sausages` but never thought of raiding the old sock draw.
Have insurance too.  Suprised myself by sorting it all out before starting.  Hoping to land some council work so insurance is a must really.
The main machine I use I get the water from the customer into a large water butt.  I also carry a large container in the van,1000lts, so if the job is remote I fill up before I go so I`m sorted for H2o.
As far as the gunk is concerned I have fashioned a large sieve  that catches all the mess and the water then drains away, had thought about a wet/dry vax or simular but this is cheaper and easier.. 

Well thanks for all advice and tips so far, all greatfully received. 
Keep busy

Paul Forster

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 02:50:58 pm »
TVCS what location are you? most council work round me Gwent / Glos (PW,grafit iand bus shelter cleaning)   is done in house. Remember if working for councils or large comercial business it is not unusual to have to await payment for anything up to 3 months. :(

Paul

Ged

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 06:15:05 pm »
Hi there

I would seriously recommend you invest in a 100litre wet vac for jobs with no drainage. for many jobs i have found it essential to get rid of accumulations of water. you can get one from tech clean   it is really effective but the trolley it comes on is of poor quality, cost under 400 quid if i recall and it will save you a load of grief.

ged