CarolineB

Just starting up
« on: October 03, 2005, 02:05:04 am »
I am just starting a cleaning business for domestic and commercial properties. I have a dilemma do I get my cleaners in place first or the work?

I dont want to be paying cleaners wages with no clients but I dont want to keep clients waiting with no cleaners.

Please advise the best way to get started.

Thankyou

Caroline B

Email: caroline@homecare-services.net

Mike_Boxall

Re: Just starting up
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 08:54:17 am »
Hi Caroline

There are lots of members on here who have had the same dilemna. Do a search in the General Cleaning section - you'll find lots of helpfull advice there.

Generally speaking it depends on the size of the business you are starting and whether it is more domestic or commercial. Bear in mind that with commercial cleaning you will often need to employ the existing cleaners under TUPE regulations.

Most people starting smaller one man (or woman) operations will do as much of it themselves and when they have 2 or 3 regular dependable clients they then employ others.

That said, you won't spend long on this site without noticing that the biggest proclem cleaning companies have is finding good staff  - it's a well to start looking if nothing else.

Regards

Mike

CarolineB

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 12:13:32 pm »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I will start advertising now and hopefully find some good employees.

It's good to know there is help available when starting out.

Thanks again

Caroline

Bizzie Lizzie

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 09:15:05 pm »
Hi caroline,  I have also been thinking about taking staff on - are you doing contracts? Are you not worried about paying staff if no work etc are you paying them from when job starts or from travelling also?

I would like to know your thoughts - Thanks Jan

CarolineB

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 04:39:14 pm »
Hi Jan,

I  have told the applicants that I am looking for casual workers on a part-time basis. This way I have been upfront with the applicants from the start (this is very important builds trust).
I only pay them as and when they do the work. I have also told them that as the business grows so will their hours. I have received a good response.
If the cleaner has one job for the day I do not give a petrol allowance if it is a local job. (Most people pay their own way to work, this is no different). I give an allowance when travelling between jobs.

I would be interested on how you are going to manage your employees. Let me know how you get on.

Caroline

patricia

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 02:06:04 pm »
Hi caroline iam in the same position as you {what do i do first staff or clients}
i must not be as far on as you as you have allready got your own web site which is brill i might had this is what i want to do,have my own web site but i have no idea at all what  i have to do to get one and do i have to pay a fortune for some one to set it up for me. :-\ :-\
lifes a roller coaster you'v just got to ride it !!!

CarolineB

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 03:22:01 pm »
Hi Patricia,

I made my own website to save expense. I did think about having a professional one done but I need to earn the money before I can start spending it.

Any questions please email me. I will try to help if I can but I am still a newbie myself.

There is a lot of advice on this forum that I have found really useful.

Hope everything works out for you.

Regards

Caroline

robertg

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 12:43:25 pm »
Hi Caroline,

Just wanting to find out how it's going? I'm looking at starting my own small business. I'm currently in the corperate industry and had enough! My wife and I are relocating to Scotland and I'm starting off there. Any tips or advice would help.

Thanks,

Greg

CarolineB

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 11:08:21 am »
Hi Greg,

I am doing ok. It was a little slow at the beginning but I am starting to get some regular clients now.

I will be happy to give you any help I can but I am still new to this.

You can email me with any questions you have and I will do my best to answer them.

Good luck with your venture.

Regards

Caroline

Gail

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 08:29:19 pm »
I noticed many of you are just starting out.  I owned a house cleaning business for eight years that I started myself, doing the cleaning.  I don't know how I could have managed employees if I had not started this way.

Cleaners are interesting people and many have worked in many different industries.  If you don't manage them closely, they'll be running circles around you. 

I always scheduled the jobs first and then hired.  You just have to schedule the jobs starting out a week or two.  And make sure you can clean it yourself if the newhire doesn't show up!

In desperate situations, use your customer service skills to keep clients happy when you suddenly have to reschedule.