jo5hm4n

Getting Stricter on Custards
« on: September 14, 2018, 01:06:40 pm »
I'm really trying to change the way i am doing things and get stricter with customers who are awkward or bad payers.

I have an example of a customer below and i'm not 100% sure which approach i should take.

So a customer who paid every month for about 4 months, no complaints, never even met the customer in person.  Leaves cash under the mat normally.  Last 2 cleans she forgot to leave money under mat.  I went back to collect twice.(I Don't go collecting anymore but she literally lives round the corner from me).

Both times i go to collect she isn't home.  After each clean payment card is left for how to pay online or send cheque in post so customer has no excuses.

I am about to drop off a letter before action.  She has 7 days to make payment or forwarding to debt collection agency.  Now the only problem i have with this is that i have to accept that when i drop this letter of she is clearly going to be an ex customer.  I don't feel like you can send letter before action and even if customer does pay it, chances are they wont want you to clean windows anymore, they probably will feel a bit upset that you sort of threatened them even though ofcourse they owe you money.

Okay, well then you would say, well i dont want them as a customer anyway!  So good riddance!  Here me out though, i've had customers like this before and i dont always believe the customer is a total loss.  I reckon if you got them onto GoCardless payment taken every month you wouldn't have this issue and the service could carry on as normal.

I know this because ive done it already.  Had a guy owe me 2 cleans for ages and ages, got him onto GoCardless and 18 months later hes still on the books no hassle chasing payment.

So before i go all guns blazing saying if you don't make payment in 7 days i will forward onto debt agency, i am wondering if i could somehow go in less aggressive with a letter, still getting them to pay, but then explaning if they want to continue with service its GoCardless or GoHome, if you get what i am saying!

I am trying to salvage a situation where i know the customer probably wants there windows cleaning but they are just bone idol or lazy when it comes to making payments.

I myself fit into this category.  My bin cleaner refused to keep cleaning my bins because i owed him so much money, he got me onto GoCardless and same thing, arrangement works perfect now.

What you all saying?

Marc Stock

Re: Getting Stricter on Custards
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 01:19:22 pm »
I would send her a letter asking her to set up a direct debit.

Just say something along the lines of.

We are using cash in society less and less, and we understand how difficult it can be to get cash ready to pay for your window cleaning services.

May we suggest going onto Direct Debit to pay for the service. And we can collect any outstanding payments due.

Best...

Etc

jo5hm4n

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 01:21:00 pm »
This is a really good suggestion, i might reword my letter with this.

p1w1

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 02:28:28 pm »
This is the letter i use for consistent late payers or those i will only clean in future with gocardless, if it helps to give you an idea.

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: Window Cleaning Payment

Amount Overdue: £ 0
We write to inform you that we have not yet received payment for our window cleaning service on the following dates.

•   30/03/15
•   06/05/15
•   09/07/15

I'm sure you must have mistakenly overlooked this, but we ask that you now give it your prompt attention by making immediate payment for the outstanding amount.

We accept the following payment methods in which to pay your current bill: -

• Online bank transfer, Sort code: xxxx / Ac #: xxxx
•    Direct Debit at "your website" and filling out the form on our payments page.
•    Cheque (Made payable to xxxxxx).

We ask now that if you wish us to continue providing you with our window cleaning service that you use the Direct Debit payment option as your method of payment for all future cleans. No further cleaning will take place until we receive confirmation that a Direct Debit has been set up.

To set up a Direct Debit go to "your website" and click on the payments page.
Simply fill out the form on our website (takes less than 2 minutes) and that’s it, all future payments are then collected automatically by Direct Debit.
With the Direct Debit payment system we will only ever collect payment AFTER your windows have been cleaned (Approx. 3-5 days). You can cancel the Direct Debit at any time. This payment scheme is covered by the Direct Debit guarantee.

Should you have any questions or queries regarding your account or the Direct Debit payment system please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards

paul alan

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 02:35:35 pm »
This is the letter i use for consistent late payers or those i will only clean in future with gocardless, if it helps to give you an idea.

Dear Sir/Madam

We write to inform you that we have not yet received payment for our window cleaning service on the following dates.

•   30/03/15
•   06/05/15
•   09/07/15

I'm sure you must have mistakenly overlooked this, but we ask that you now give it your prompt attention by making immediate payment for the outstanding amount.

•    Direct Debit at "your website" and filling out the form on our payments page.

We ask now that if you wish us to continue providing you with our window cleaning service that you use the Direct Debit payment option as your method of payment for all future cleans. No further cleaning will take place until we receive confirmation that a Direct Debit has been set up.

Simply fill out the form on our website (takes less than 2 minutes) and that’s it, all future payments are then collected automatically by Direct Debit.
With the Direct Debit payment system we will only ever collect payment AFTER your windows have been cleaned (Approx. 3-5 days). You can cancel the Direct Debit at any time. This payment scheme is covered by the Direct Debit guarantee.

Should you have any questions or queries regarding your account or the Direct Debit payment system please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards

Nice clear message, polite and to the point

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 03:05:35 pm »
Is she dead? Or in hospital? If she lives nearby I would drive by at dusk  (7.00/7.30 now) and see if lights are on. If so knock.
It's a game of three halves!

jo5hm4n

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 03:15:27 pm »

Dear Sir/Madam

•   30/03/15
•   06/05/15
•   09/07/15

Kind regards

This is spot on!

Mine is worded to some extent similiar, but yours is worded better than mine the message is more clear, but without offending the customer.  Will change mine now.

Thanks

Walter Mitty

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 04:52:34 pm »

Dear Sir/Madam

•   30/03/15
•   06/05/15
•   09/07/15

Kind regards

The letter is a good one but I would suggest one amendment:
Where you have written "No further cleaning will take place until we receive confirmation that a Direct Debit has been set up," I suggest something like " Further cleaning will only take place when we receive confirmation that a Direct Debit has been set up.
I realise these mean exactly the same thing, but I believe my version rolls better with the punches and is more likely to persuade a customer to comply.  There are reasons for this which involve a discussion about human psychology, so I won't bother going into that on here.

p1w1

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 02:54:26 pm »
I will thanks...does sound better.

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 08:28:01 am »
P1w1 - super letter - very similar to ours and more importantly it works - nice post

Good amendment Walter

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk