Nightmare House Cleans
« on: August 01, 2005, 06:27:58 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I would like to share with you my worst ever house clean and I would be interested in hearing about yours.

This clean was completed three years ago and cost my client 5.5k WOW I hear you say, well wait until you hear what was involved.

The client hired my company to go to his brother’s house to supply a one of blitz clean. His brother was 65 years of age (here we go, lol) and unfortunately his wife had passed away one year prior to this. Due to his brother neglecting himself, he was in hospital for two weeks, so this was our time scale.

When his wife was alive, they use to get 2 pints of milk delivered everyday, when she passed away, two pints of milk still got delivered everyday, yet the old boy didn’t drink milk. However, he still had the milk coming.

I drove up the street where he lived, and about 100yards from the house, I could smell this really horrid smell, as I pulled up, I was met by the gentleman who had asked me to come and his wife. Immediately they apologized for what was coming next and explained that since his brother’s wife died, he had lost the will to carry on and would not let anyone in his house.

When the front door was opened, I thought I was in a sewer. The smell was unbelievable. To the side of the front door in the hallway was!!!! You guessed nearly 700 cartons of milk, all unopened. There was a toilet in the hallway, that was and this is no exaggeration, from floor to ceiling, stacked with empty beer cans. The front room had at least 2000 newspapers, dirty dishes, empty beer cans, 3 inches of dust etc. The dining area was unbelievable!!! On the dining room table was about ten pots and pans, with various used food, more milk cartons, half opened tins and more flies than a cow field has.

The kitchen was a write off; no cleaner on this small planet of ours could have cleaned it. The fridge freezer was turned off and opening it was a nightmare as thousands of maggots fell onto the floor. Again, milk cartons everywhere, food, flies, maggots, burnt pans, etc.

There was another toilet, this one was full of dirty clothes submerged in a bath of stagnant water, the look was backed up and there was excrement all over the floor.

There where also three bedrooms. Two of which where full of bin bags; these in turn where full of rubbish. The third bedroom was appalling. From the floor to 3ft high was empty whiskey bottles, this room was 14ft * 16ft, so their where hundreds of them.

My original quote was 1.5k, this was to remove all rubbish and included 4 skips @ 150 a skip. The cleaning could not be quoted for until the rubbish was gone, then I would be able to give a proper quote.

The first two cleaners I sent their, where sick within 5 min’s of entering the house and refused to go back. They in turn told all my other staff, who all refused the job. So at the end of the day, I had to clean it. This worked out well, because I could work faster than all my staff.

Once the rubbish was gone, I went through everything with the client. It was agreed, I would have a new kitchen fitted, supply and fit 1.5k. New carpets where fitted throughout the house, supply and fit 1.25k, living room and dining room to be re-decorated £500, then cleaning of the rest of the house £750.

Total time to complete contract was 13 days (note, work was on and off). Plus the client at the end of the day, thought he had got a bargain and because he new I was doing the work myself; I also received a £500 tip.

I would be interested also, in what other people would have charged for this job, please take into account though, I fitted the kitchen and carpets, I paid a plumber £60 to plumb the sink in. cost of the kitchen and carpets totaled £1,600. This gave me £ 1,150.00 for the fitting, less the plumbers £60.00 (3 days work)

Derek_Walker

Re: Nightmare House Cleans
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 05:13:50 pm »
 24-7

I guess no one can top that, which is not really surprising as it sounds like something out of "how clean is your house".

The worst one I had was a house clearance job for an estate agent, I went to pick up the keys to estimate the property and before I left he told me that someone had been murdered in the house and that the police never found the head. I got to the property and found every room was full up with rubbish, the chimneys had been pulled out, bath panels, everything had been pulled apart as the police had evidently gone through it all.
The basement stairs were missing and had a ladder going down to it instead, I did not attempt to go down there ( no one to foot the ladder, health and safety, honest :-[ ). I thought of a number and x it by three and was very disappointed when I did not get the job :D.

anne

Re: Nightmare House Cleans
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 08:34:20 pm »
hi 24-7     u asked what others would have charged
i would have run !!!!   and i think the customer got a bargain just think of the house doctor lol  u have increased the value of that home and made money yourself...and being a cleaner does not involve fitting kitchens , plumbing and decorating ect  so you did youself proud x