clarkson

roofs
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:45:55 am »
 hi
 looking at doing my first roof (moss covered pan tiles)

what safety steps are people using. roof ladder is a given to get up there but anyone harness.

my specific question is where can you harness to on a domestic roof.

thought of wrapping a lanyard round the chimney, even thought of roping to a tree the other side of the pitch if the roof but all sound a bit noddy. is there a temporary anchor you can get?

cheers
 john

Matt Gibson

Re: roofs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:55:18 pm »
I anchor my harness to the rungs of the roof ladder.

Mike will be along shortly to dazzle you with his ropes though  ;D

BDCS

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:55:54 pm »
How did you price it if you don't really know how your getting up there. I would get it scaffolded to the gutter line and use a ridge ladder or crawling board between.

mike roberts

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:56:21 pm »
mike cant be asked :P some of us have been working  ;D

Blast Away

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:07:30 pm »
mike cant be asked :P some of us have been working  ;D

What've you done today mate? A bit windy today for a roof so went to a different job.

mike roberts

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:34:52 pm »
Roof! should finish it 2mw... only a light breeze  :D

Blast Away

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:41:07 pm »

You like the album on Facebook of the one were doing? Got about 3 hours left on it. Hoping he wants it coated!  8)

mike roberts

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 09:39:32 pm »

You like the album on Facebook of the one were doing? Got about 3 hours left on it. Hoping he wants it coated!  8)

Yer nice size that... if he has that coated holiday time ;D

The one were on at mo has signed in for coating get it done within next 2 wks hopefully if it keeps mild.
Do you know anyone that recycles water to a good qual ?

Blast Away

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:47 pm »

Yer nice size that... if he has that coated holiday time ;D

The one were on at mo has signed in for coating get it done within next 2 wks hopefully if it keeps mild.
Do you know anyone that recycles water to a good qual ?

No pal, what's that for?

clarkson

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:30 am »
How did you price it if you don't really know how your getting up there. I would get it scaffolded to the gutter line and use a ridge ladder or crawling board between.

hi
 just put enough in that iam happy regardless if  i take a loss on one job so be it. no domestic customer is going to pay for full scaffold for moss clearing though.

i know health and safety comes first but that is why iam looking at options for temporary anchor points.

i spoke to my man safe people and they offered a threaded socket that you can drill and resin in, they cost 22.00

so roof ladder to chimney or similar drill and resin in socket then get on with kit set up etc maybe have a cup of tea
 and you have an anchor point.

add 40 on the job and customer has an anchor point for future works. jus an idea. problems are you are assuming the chimney will take a 100kilos with momentum. also when opposite side of the roof you will need so much rope or lanyard you could hit the floor before you took up the slack.

i did what lee said in the end carrabena to the roof ladder, but i dont think its the best idea really if you fell you could bounce the ladder of the roof with you ?

cheers

john

trevor perry

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 11:03:06 am »
rope right over the roof to opposite side and then have an anchor weight on floor to fasten to, you can only work on the opposite side of roof to the anchor point, put rope protectors in place where the rope is in contact with any edges, then use a harness and a rope descender to position where you need to work, to be totally safe you should really use two ropes the other having a petzl shunt fastened to the rope and harness a shunt is basicaly a device that if you slip locks tight onto the rope and prevents you falling, by having two ropes even if one should break you would still be fastened. i would still recomend using a cat ladder on some roofs aswell as the above as this will prevent you breaking any of the tiles
  you mention an anchor point to chimney this isnt really good advice, if you are working to the side of chimney and you should slip then there could be enough slack in the rope that it will not prevent a fall.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

clarkson

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 02:41:11 pm »
rope right over the roof to opposite side and then have an anchor weight on floor to fasten to, you can only work on the opposite side of roof to the anchor point, put rope protectors in place where the rope is in contact with any edges, then use a harness and a rope descender to position where you need to work, to be totally safe you should really use two ropes the other having a petzl shunt fastened to the rope and harness a shunt is basicaly a device that if you slip locks tight onto the rope and prevents you falling, by having two ropes even if one should break you would still be fastened. i would still recomend using a cat ladder on some roofs aswell as the above as this will prevent you breaking any of the tiles
  you mention an anchor point to chimney this isnt really good advice, if you are working to the side of chimney and you should slip then there could be enough slack in the rope that it will not prevent a fall.

hi trevor
thanks for that, i had this idea in principle with tying to the tree.  the anchor on the floor my roofpoint isnt heavy enough to resist vertical lift its the flat plates bolted together for flat roof work.

is it the abseil one with the stack of weights you use.

i didnt think the chimney idea would work. a lot of the gutters we clean are on old victorian houses and wouldnt trust the chimney to come crashing down on top of us  ;D

cheers

john

trevor perry

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 08:51:41 pm »
Hi John
   i usually just tie to a couple of 56 pound weights this doesnt sound like much weight but due to rope coming over edges and the ridge tiles it can take your weight easily, if you dont believe me tie one 56 pound weight to a rope throw the rope over a wall then stand on other side of wall and try and pull the weight over by pulling downwards on the rope i gaurantee one man wont move the weight due to the friction and angle of pulling, it is totally illegal now but when i first started it was common to do rope access work on multi storey building using only one 56 pound weight, i always used 2 though
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

clarkson

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 09:45:57 pm »

hi
 cheers

john

mike roberts

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 09:05:20 am »
As stated roof top anchor is not designed for floor operation hence not HS compliant, accident not insured ... last checked recomended ground anchorage ton plus! We use suitable points on van or suitable trees using designed anchorage straps - not lanyards.

Simply trying to pull a weight over a wall is totally meaningless!

In an event of a fall it will be a shock loading hence your body weight is compounded by multiples. Same reason why cat ladders via scafolding harness / lanyard is not sufficient if you fall the ridge could go. When you wash you stand up on the catladder its not designed for that purpose...

But heyho everyone to their own, all very well until you slip, Personally I value my life a bit more than simply making a few Bucks   ;D ;D

clarkson

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 07:50:24 am »
As stated roof top anchor is not designed for floor operation hence not HS compliant, accident not insured ... last checked recomended ground anchorage ton plus! We use suitable points on van or suitable trees using designed anchorage straps - not lanyards.

Simply trying to pull a weight over a wall is totally meaningless!

In an event of a fall it will be a shock loading hence your body weight is compounded by multiples. Same reason why cat ladders via scafolding harness / lanyard is not sufficient if you fall the ridge could go. When you wash you stand up on the catladder its not designed for that purpose...

But heyho everyone to their own, all very well until you slip, Personally I value my life a bit more than simply making a few Bucks   ;D ;D

hi
great idea using the van, you arent going to lift a vivaro ;D

where do you latch on to the axle or similar, i will look into getting an anchorage strap

cheers

john

Londoner

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 08:32:02 am »
Or you can just pay some illegal to get up there and wander around aimlessly with a B+Q pressure washer. As seems to be the fashion round here :o