*Chris Browne

Stick in there
« on: September 10, 2005, 10:53:58 am »
Hi all
I hope this serves as a word of encouragement to those just starting up in business (or thinking about it)
After a year and a half in business, starting out with a very old estate car (still got it!) £2000 quid, 2 vacs and a bucket of sweat, I last night won Solihull small business of the year 2005.
The grin on my face is beginning to hurt my mouth muscles.

Stick in there

Chris  ;)

dustdees

Re: Stick in there
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 11:48:09 am »
GOOD FOR YOU MATE, ANY TIPS FOR US NEWBIES?

blacksheep

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 02:20:41 pm »
concrats and a BIG WEEL DONE ;D

*Chris Browne

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 09:36:37 pm »
hi
Dont forget i AM a newbie!
anyway here is a couple of tips in no order

1. Spoil your clients throw in a few freebies(one off window clean,carpets,floor etc) ;D
2. If your client says jump.................jump :o
3. Look after your cleaners, pay them well and work with them  ;D
4. When you have done your survey get your quote in quick, i get mine in normally the same day or the next day  latest 8)
5. Always be available 24/7 ( i know some of you wont like that one but it works for me) :-X
6. Dont expect everyone to be doing the work while your back at the office counting the dosh it dosn't
work like that :(
7. Watch your cash flow, even profitable business's  get in to trouble-chase your money and spend wisely. 8)

Chris ;)

Tim Downer

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 03:57:24 pm »
Well done chap.....makes all the hard work worthwhile.
Keep on working hard and grinning.....

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

garyj

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 04:42:04 pm »
Well done Chris.

The only thing I don't agree with is working with the cleaners. I would show them how to do it and leave them to it!! Its the only way to grow a business, and as your company gets bigger you won't have the time to work with them.

Clean 'n' Tidy

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 04:55:53 pm »
Weel done Chris.

I agree with all the comments you have made above. I work the same way as you. I have built up alot of repect this way.

Rgds
Kim

Jan K

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 05:30:47 pm »
Congrats Chris, nice to see the small business reaping the rewards of hard work!

I agree with Gary, however, as I would ensure the Cleaners are happy in their workplace and know what they are doing, and then leave them to work for themselves! Besides which some people don't work as well with the boss 'breathing down their necks'!  ;D

anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

*Chris Browne

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 09:31:19 am »
Thank you for your many kind replies, (i'm still on cloud nine)
regarding  working with the staff, i ment it more in a broader sense, i didn,t mean i physically go in with them day and night ( although i do get my hands dirty most days!) i meant that i keep in touch very regularly, imake sure everything and everyone is happy and most importantly the jobs are being done right. (i hope someone knows what i'm talking about)  ???

Chris
 ;D

Jan K

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 11:12:23 am »
Yes Chris I know what you are talking about, I touch base with my girls at least 3 - 4 times a week  ;D
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

dustycorner

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 07:42:39 pm »
Congratulations Chris,

Good to see someone getting recognition and rewards for their enterprise and endeavours.

Cheers Mark

Just a cleaner.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 05:01:24 pm »
Well done Chris.

They usually overlook cleaning as not a serious business

Get on mate!
When all the trees have been felled, and all the rivers are poisoned, we will dicover that we can't eat money.

BSF

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 06:55:03 pm »
I run my company like this, very well done Chris! stick at it and watch your business grow....

all the best

Paul
Regards

BSF

sonya

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 03:24:04 pm »
Congats mate!!
Wish you many more success like this in the future.
And good tips as well. Some of these points are sometimes forgotten about when one reaches a certain level in business.
All the bestxxxxx
Sonya :-* :-* :-*