g.brookes

massive wooden framed roof to clean
« on: March 07, 2021, 08:10:57 pm »
More newby questions haha.
Got a house with about 100 roof glass panels to clean with wooden frames. They're in a terrible state, covered in algae on the glass. Normally I just soak with wfp then give a good scrub but I'd be knackered doing that on 100 panels.
What's chemicals would you use to do the elbow work for me that won't damage the wooden frames

Smudger

Re: massive wooden framed roof to clean
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 08:16:35 pm »
without seeing it I would still say wfp is the way to go - if priced correctly then all will be fine.

Treat as any other job - TFR and or Hypo - at the end of the day you will have to wfp the glass clean
To apply the chems use a backpack or if you have a pressure washer - x-jet or snow foam attachment

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

KS Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 09:47:20 pm »
Got a house with about 100 roof glass panels to clean with wooden frames. They're in a terrible state, covered in algae on the glass. Normally I just soak with wfp then give a good scrub but I'd be knackered doing that on 100 panels.
What's chemicals would you use to do the elbow work for me that won't damage the wooden frames
Better hope there is decent rubber seals between the glass and wooden frames. These jobs are a nightmare if the crud gets under the wooden frame, doesn’t matter how much you rinse, the crud just keeps leeching out from under the frame.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 08:45:40 am »

Sounds like a nightmare job to me...if you insist on cleaning it I'd soak with a virosol mix in a backpack and plug into the customers outside tap with my extension hose for cleaning the majority of dirt/algae off and use my hot pure water for the last few hours of the job....

I hope you ve priced well and put a very good day rate on it.....as its going to take you all day and itll be hard work
price higher/work harder!

zesty

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 12:25:23 pm »
Gotta say, I think I’d give this one a miss, they can be an absolute mare to rinse

robbo333

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 05:46:09 pm »
Clean one panel and see what you're up against...pick a middle one.

Go on...you know you want to!  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

NWH

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 07:30:54 pm »
Apart from the algae etc is it all in good condition the timber I mean.

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 08:59:36 pm »
No, no no no

Just leave it, learn when its best to walk away.

I got asked to quote an old conny not long ago, huge , wooden, paint flaking off and covered in algae

Thing is with these things, you quote £150 then realise half way through its going to take 2 days.... or maybe 3 lol been there done it, stick to window cleaning.

james peters

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 09:06:20 pm »
I personally would avoid.
but if you need the job , I would ask to inspect from the inside first , to see whether there is dirt and / or condensation in between the glass / plastic.
if there is , you need to make it clear that it will not improve the vision from the inside and will only improve the look of the outside .
and even then it wont be 100 %
these jobs can be an absolute night mare and demoralising

g.brookes

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 09:38:35 pm »
Thanks chaps. I've put in a high price but hoping I don't get it tbh. Like you say, the worry is the quality of the seals where the wood is. It's only every three months as well and I always find with jobs like that they just delay your more regular work, rather than add to it. Just something you dread when it's due.