Darren O

Just been bumped.
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:01:27 am »
I sold my wonder wand about 2 weeks ago to a guy from Falkirk he paid me buy check got the check back today from the bank its bounced what do you think i should do next.Its my own fault the guy sent the check out registered letter and everything seemed fine got all his company details his own address but i let him have the wand before the check had cleared i phoned him this morning and he apoligised and said he would contact the bank this morning.Just got in he emailed me and said hes embarassed for whats happend and said his company hasnt been going long and hasnt much work and if i could wait 2 weeks he will pay me in cash there is no chance iam waiting 2 fecking weeks for the cash so not sure what to do next.cheers Darren.

Darren O

Re: Juts been bumped.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:05:47 am »
Also Falkirk is about 40 miles away so the last resort is driving there.

dave123

Re: Juts been bumped.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 11:14:33 am »
Drive up there Darren and sort it out

clinton

Re: Just been bumped.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:39:22 pm »
Do you think he will give you the wand back darren ???

Might be worth asking him.

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »
2 weeks? No way! Demand your money or collect your wand!

james roffey

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 04:25:40 pm »
As he has issued the cheque, in law he has admitted liability, keep a copy of all corrospondence between you, its your choice whether you give him time to pay, if it was me i would give him the time but not a day more and add that he should be responsible for getting payment in cash to you before the deadline and that you will add interest on the debt and seek recovery through the county court if he fails to pay on time, or  he could return the item, dont accept another cheque though.  

clinton

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 05:00:29 pm »
I had a problem with a cheque a while ago and it was a small error on the clients side and was rectified.

Might be worth dropping roger (dr carpet) a line and ask for some advise on what to watch out for when the client makes a cheque out so you get paid.

I had a chat with roger and he went through some small tips and it helped me no end..

markpowell

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 05:58:38 pm »
Firstly keep the bounced cheque, it is proof that you have had dealings with this person and that they were happy with the item/service recieved.
Do you have the address of the customer, if so file county court N1 form, there will be a fee of £30 which you can claim back.
Mark

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 08:08:41 pm »
How much did you sell it for?

Might be worth while getting an interim payment now, another in a weeks time and the balance when he says he can pay for it. obviously this course of action is tedious and would only really work if we are talking about a reasonably large amount.

Incidentally, what answer did the paying bank give for not paying it? Was is it simply "refer to drawer" or was there a different or longer-winded reason?

With postal problems which your buyer could probably manipulate to their advantage you may want to consider getting him to pay you electronically into your account. that way nobody can hide behind banks not making the payment or worse, the proverbial "cheque's in the post, mate".
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

HQCS (John Kastrian)

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 08:29:42 pm »
Sounds to me like he knew full well he didn't have the cash in the bank to honour the cheque when he wrote it.
If I were you and it is only 40 miles away I would go and get it back,and take a burly mate with you just in case.
If he decides he still wants it after that,tell him to come and collect it and payment will be in cash only and add on the cost of your fuel and lost income.
There a some right characters out there,don't leave it any longer or chances are he will sell the wand on anyway if he is short of cash.-John

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 08:33:26 pm »
I totally agree with John he knew the cheque would bounce.

go get your wand tell him you have another buyer for it and you need the cash.

me personally would be rather nasty about it, but you might be a more mellow character ;)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

jasonl

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 08:42:47 pm »
Go and fetch it , without doubt , plus 50 quid collection fee.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Darren O

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 08:44:54 pm »
The amount is for £240 there is a stamp on the cheque it says upaid returned when i first spoke to the guy it was 8.00am this morning the way the guy spoke on the phone i wanted to give him a slap there and then but i never said anything and the guy said he would contact his bank first thing it was later this morning i got the email asking for 2 weeks to pay.The thing that bothers me is he wont answer his landline or mobile and will only talk via email.I told the guy i think hes at it and if i didnt have the cheque by friday i would be passing on his details to debt collector wich my acountant uses" just made that bit up"he the emailed me back and said he was sorry i felt that way and he would just pay the debt collector when they contact him i sent him a further email saying i will be contacting him personally tomorow or friday to collect the cash in person he then sent another email saying he has a wife and young family and dosent want me coming to his door he then said he will have the full amount in 13 days and will arange to meet me and pay me in cash i said i will give him the time to pay but if he dosent pay i will be visiting him at his home so will have to wait and see the guy is a tosser i will get my money one way or another and i dont want the WW back worst thing ive ever bought.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 09:05:19 pm »
I'd go to his house asap mate!

And bring a mate! not saying to rough him up! but you dont know what this guy is like! you might need a witness.

Idealy you want to go unannounced, but this would be a pain if he's no in  :(
just say, give me my Wand back Mister!! or give me £240 NOW!

Darren O

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 09:17:32 pm »
If i go to his house i will be bringing my mate that works with me thats the thing its a long way to go if i cant get hold of him.

Len Gribble

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 09:27:47 pm »
I wrote my first cheque in two years today and with out a guarantee card trusting twits but it will take 15days for delivery god help them if it’s 16.

Darren

I take it that he picked it up don’t know how big Falkirk is but did find someone in Welling Kent once took a few days before the birds got up.

Oh I will only advise the legal way believe Scottish law is different English ;)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Darren O

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 09:53:11 pm »
Len i agreed the deal on the monday i recived the cheque recorded delivery on the tuesday with a letter with company details and business card all looked smart he then emailed me on friday to make sure everything was ok and he said he would contact me sometime next week after the cheque had cleared to arange pick up but me like a daffty said he could collect on sunday if he wanted i would be interested to no if there is anybody from the Falkirk area on here his business details are on yell.com.

Bob Robertson

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:33 pm »
Darren

Falkirk, its worth the drive to get it back,  before he sells it.

P.S. Name and shame the fooker.

Bob

Darren O

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 10:28:39 pm »
Bob still thinking about to busy tomorow window cleaning on friday but its forecast to rain so might take a drive out there then. Carboclean