clinton

Re: Rainbow International
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 08:06:52 am »
Jim

Good post mate and from someone who runs a franchise.

Think if i was starting off i would maybe go down this route :)

Was trying to get a green thumb lawn care in the cheshire area but the sale fell through :(

Doug Holloway

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 08:30:51 am »
Hi Guys

Interesting topic.

I like the franchises, although I wouldn't want to be one myself, well only as the head ;).

They have good marketing skills, charge decent pices and generally give a good impression.

If the actaul quality on the ground is not so good, then there are obviously training issues, buts lets face it what percentage of CC jobs could be classed as good or better.

Cheers
Doug

gwrightson

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 08:40:53 am »
Jim,

Regarding my post re. Hull floods.

I can assure you I was actually in a pub one night talking to young men who had beent taken on specificly to deal with the Hull floods, they were from manchester, were working for a franchise , getting paid cash in hand and bragging how they were all but ripping people off.
They did not have a clue what they were doing or supposed to be doing and were not in the slightest bit bothered. In their words the boss said just fill them with bullpoop.
Now the ironic thing about this , they had not got a clue who I was or what I did, they was staying in a b&b in my village , but of course I was pumping them for info with great interest.

Having said that, I have nothing against franchises , i infact  would welcome them to quote every job I
quote, infact I would go so far to say I reckon I could baffle most so called technitians with c/c science :)

We are talking about the actual operatore here , not the owners.
Now I can understand your reply, and yes I have read it right through and may I say good luck with your business and hope you continue to do well , However , of course your going to say all of the things you have said, arn,t you ? Just like I am saying these things.

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Ricky M

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 08:42:33 am »
Yes V good post
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

JandS

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 09:50:42 am »
Who does Jim work for?
Thought he was independent.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

richie

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 10:01:27 am »
Hi Jim,

Fantastic post mate especially the paragraph below.

R.E. The Hull floods.... I think at that particular time there were probably more flooded houses in the UK than there were dehumidifiers available to hire.  Do the maths, there's going to be a bit of a problem delivering 5-star service to each and every 10,000 homes all under water at the same time..  I know several people who didn't sleep for days and didn't see their families for a week during that time.  Because they were pumping out flood water and drying buildings.  The percentage of complaints to jobs done probably dropped to an all time low during those times, but because of the sheer volume yes there will have been quite a few complainers kicking up stink.  

I used to work for a franchisee,  over the past few years when some of the major flooding happened we were drafted in to help out in various parts of the country.  Getting hold of drying equipment was getting to be a nightmare.  We tried our very best to explain to customers the situation regarding so little equipment been available.  The franchise i worked for purchased 100s of paddle fans to install into homes.  Most of the customers that we dealt with understood the problem & were very understanding.   To my knowledge we had 2 customers that complained saying that we were not doing the job as they expected.  Both of these were informed by the insurance company & the loss adjusters that the whole country was in demand for drying equipment & were assured that as soon as it was available that we would install.  One of these customers continued to moan each & every time we visited the other changed & was very helpful & nice to us all.

As with any trade there are some that give the rest a bad name.  When the whole country is in demand for drying equipment you will for sure get people complaining although it is not be the fault of the comapny dealing.

Richie.

Richie.

mark_roberts

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 06:37:03 pm »
Jim

Does Servicemaster actually source you work, carpet cleaning that is.

In my mind a franchise is only beneficial if it gets you some work ie. national contracts.  This is fine for flood work but what about those who just want to clean carpets.  is there any point in a franchise then??

Mark

Jim_77

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2009, 11:50:10 pm »
Yes they do Mark, albeit sporadic at best.

Our national accounts are not limited simply to insurance/restoration work - we also serve large well-respected companies such as John Lewis, Laura Ashley, Next, Victoria Carpets, etc etc...

A lot of the work I get sent is problem-solving.  This can vary quite a bit in prestige and profitability though!  Clearing up oily footprints across a hall carpet left by an Argos delivery man is quite common - we get a flat rate for that, so on one job you'll earn way less than if you'd quoted it privately, but on another you'll only need to spend 10 minutes with a terry towel to earn the same money.  It all evens out in the end.

Much of the work we do for John Lewis is to sort rogue tufts/fibres in newly installed carpets.  This sort of work is brilliant, you can spend 2 hours in a customer's house fixing half a dozen rogue tufts, talk to them whilst enjoying a cuppa, play with the dog, really make friends with them and then provide a quote for £200 worth of work that they'll take you up on in the near future.

And you get rewarded handsomely for doing so - the cost of you going there and sorting the problem is significantly lower than the cost of them having to do the carpet installation all over again.

It's all about maximising on the opportunities involved.  There's both the potential up-selling from getting your foot in the door with the right sort of customer, and the fact that you're trading with a name that carries some weight.

How many jobs do you think you'd get if your own company name and phone number was printed on the cleaning instructions of a certain brand of upholstery?  I must clean a huge proportion of the Marks & Spencer suites in my area because they recommend us to clean them.

Mind you, I clean a fair amount of G-Plan suites and they recommend ChemDry :D

Funny old world :)

clinton

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2009, 10:16:44 am »
Jim

Your right on the label part :)

I cleaned a suite the other day and the cleints bought if rom next and if it was not for a recomondation from there friend with my name she would have had one of the franchises  ???

Jim_77

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2009, 10:47:02 am »
I'm not sure if we're mentioned on Next furniture, I haven't seen a brand new one for a while.  The shop staff normally recommend us though if they're asked.

clinton

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2009, 10:51:47 am »
Hi jim

It was a two teater no chairs in like a gold two tone suite,never seen one before amd sure it was your company on the label ???

Maybe not chem dry maybe ???

Jim_77

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2009, 09:39:15 pm »
Just shows the system isn't 100% infallible! :D

clinton

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2009, 10:49:45 pm »
Jim ;D

Ian Rochester

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2009, 05:33:45 am »
When I first started out I was all against the traditional franchise route, large initial outlay and high percentage of turnover had to be paid to the franchisor in monthly commisions.

Saying that, I've just taken out a franchise!!  We've just bought into FURNITURE CLINIC Leather Care & Repair Franchise and have been given a large territory, all of Northumberland. 

The initial outlay was quite reasonable and myself and one of my technicians (Harvey) have spent two weeks fully hands on training at head office, the confidence it gives you is amazing.  Monthly fees are only £200/month regardless of turnover.  I've been trading now for 2 weeks and I expect to be break even and turning a profit by the end of March.

As many of you know of me, I don't dive into things quickly, I researched this venture rigorously before making the plunge.  We already have 16 people working for us under the Lionheart Cleaning logo but were getting very little leather work, even though I did the LTT course in 2005 and advertise we do leather cleaning and restoration.

The Furniture Clinic franchise is still very much in it's growth stage, I can see the potential of it and wanted to be in from the start to guarantee getting the territory I wanted.

Ben has had a lot of enquiries in the last month from people wanting more information about the franchise.  The guy who started just before me is based down in Essex and I know he is getting jobs every day from the Furniture clinic website.

If you are interested give me a call on 07790596782, or email me ian@lionheartcleaning.co.uk  to discuss it more.  I get a small incentive for introducing new franchisees, but this is not why I'm telling you about it, my main reason is because I want to see Furniture Clinic with National coverage so that in the eyes of the insurance companies, if they have a leather repair to be done, they call Furniture Clinic.

If you, like us, already do leather cleaning, then you'll know the amount of work that is out there for leather repairs and recolours.  Furniture Clinic are top of search engines for leather repairs in most areas, we are starting to get work coming in all the time. 

So far our jobs done have included, two car bolsters to repair and recolour, 3 wing back chairs to re-antique, a full suite to basically overhaul and recolour, a chair that has required repaneling work, holes, tears and wear restoration, a leather suite that was recoloured last year by someone in Durham but the colour was delaminating and needed cleaning off and reapplying (she couldn't get in touch with man from Durham)

We've got 6 jobs booked in for next week so far and a man coming down in his X5 from Glasgow (180 miles) to get the drivers seat repaired!

colin thomas

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2009, 01:46:37 pm »
i don't know if it was a wind-up or not, i don't think it was, but i was stopped the other day by a service master guy who said he wanted someone, me, to pass work onto as he was so busy he was embarrassed at the amount of work he was turning away!! he seemed a really nice bloke so i won't be complaining if the phone keeps ringing!!

colin
colin thomas

John Kelly

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2009, 07:14:24 pm »
Colin, thats not unusual. local guy up here was offering suites out at 75 quid.

murky

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 09:07:07 am »
Jamie,

To be honest you only got your money back because of the floods, right?

No floods, no money, right?

Murky

jamieexpress

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 04:21:27 pm »
No when i joined i was working on the floods for servicemaster. Within the first month of being on my own area i had got my money back. I have had quiet times with servicemaster but still making money when you have got your drying equipment out. Since january this year i have had 27 burst pipes 5 fires 1 gloss spill and two red wine stains. Not bad going so far.

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 07:53:02 pm »
The problem with SM is that the amount of Dickheads they have at head office.
How can someone, who`s job it is, to forget to put in the contract forward to the biggest insurance company in the UK??????? and they lost it and because of this they lose the revinue off the franchises and then put their royalties up to couteract this.
Most of the area managers are failed SM franchises. :o

How do i know this???? i worked for one for over 18yrs

Daryl

clinton

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 08:42:32 pm »
Sounds like a case of too many cooks etc ::)