dandandan

Re: Rainbow International
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 08:33:07 pm »
Hello Clint,yes been doing sweet f.a all winter,just looking after my shops,just started my advertising to start in March so hopefully i`ll be as busy as last year,you`ve got to be hopeful mate,speak to you soon mate,Dan

derek west

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 08:34:37 pm »
nice one, good luck to ya.
derek

Len Gribble

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 08:37:18 pm »
Jamie

What part of their network did you join, noted four opportunities? Totalling £98750 ex

As I understand it SM are minnows in the ff side lost a lot of work.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

jamieexpress

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 08:42:27 pm »
Hi i joined disastor restoration for clwyd north wales.
The yhave lost some work since i have bee with them but at the same time we have gained small amounts on others.
Most of my work comes from loss adjusters that i have doen work for through servicemaster it has taken time to get in with them.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 08:53:42 pm »
When I started 21 years ago SM were the biggest then Mansfield Brewery brought over Rainbow from the states and some of the top guys left from Sm to go to Rainbow and pressumably took some work but I was told by an ex franchisee that Rainbow have to have 'expected' sales forcasts and if you don't reach them......

Most of the good areas with Rainbow and SM are taken up I believe but as Derek has said you have to be more of a manager to have a franchise as you will be getting workers to work not do it yourself, me thinks a job made for a woman telling people what to do all day :o

Perhaps Jim Neal may tell us more as he's a ServiceMaster franchisee.

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 09:05:14 pm »
Hi dan

Was going to ask how the shops are going ???

Not long now till the season for you to start :)

richie

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 10:18:28 pm »
I know a guy that has been with Service Master for nearlt 18 years.  He has more than made his money in that time.  He says now though Service Master play secong fiddle to Rainbow & Chem-Dry.  He said the amount of work & quality   PRICE WISE has gone.  He only stays with them now as he is not bothered as he has made his £££.  He just wants to keep his lads in work.  Rainbow went downhill the day that ISS took them over.  They were in reality the leeaders & got good prices.    Now in typical ISS fasion....the prices are rock bottom.

Richie.

Ricky M

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 10:26:48 pm »
Poss a silly question but why do new clients that Ive work for , have had CD or Rainbow in the past and only every say bad things about the both of them ?

www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 10:38:36 pm »
I'd have thought 2 reasons

1/ cleaner not building up a relationship
2/ cleaner not being conciencious in his/her work

They chareg top prices but don't always deliver it, that's one of the reasons that CD do quite well as the system is fool proof but alot of customers don't buy cleaning they buy the cleaner.

Shaun

PS one other thing is that if a customer pays top money the only thing that they do after is pick spots  because they know that they have paid top money and get buyers remorse.

Ricky M

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 10:46:24 pm »
Some of the prices Ive been getting lately , ive been over checking my work , so they cant pull faults , but they CP so most be doing ok 
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

John Kelly

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 11:17:27 pm »
Fire & flood is the main stay of most of the franchises so the carpet cleaning isn't their main concern. They are being pushed to carry out more carpet cleaning to make up shortfalls in the fire & flood work.
Lot of builders now doing drying out works and fire cleans. Some do it for free to guarantee getting the re-instatement works.

psg

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 09:20:37 am »
Jamie,
Be honest Servicemaster are crap as is their headoffice support. Lets face it the only real Insurance contract work they had was Halifax & they screwed it up by OVERCHARGING & POOR SERVICE STANDARDS. I have been a franchisee of both  SM & RI and as derek says buy a franchise if you want to be a manager or go it alone as a business man. I can asure you if you can think for yourself most franchisors don't like it as they like to brain wash you the "AMERICAN WAY".

PSG

psg

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 09:27:23 am »
Jamie,
Be honest Servicemaster are crap as is their headoffice support. Lets face it the only real Insurance contract work they had was Halifax & they screwed it up by OVERCHARGING & POOR SERVICE STANDARDS. I have been a franchisee of both  SM & RI and as derek says buy a franchise if you want to be a manager or go it alone as a business man. I can asure you if you can think for yourself most franchisors don't like it as they like to brain wash you the "AMERICAN WAY".   The only reason franchising is surviving in the present climate is because of flash flooding and even then their are only a few of the guys geared up to deal with the work. I hope we have a drought this summer and see where all the franchise companies go beacause no money at AD and not as many fires as 10-15 years ago " ban the pan " thumbs up on Monday" blah blah.

psg

PSG

gwrightson

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 09:39:01 am »
funny how alot of custys in the Hull area, were not at all happy with c/d, rainbow, service master the majority os people i have talked to said basicly, not bothered , no respect for their homes, arrogant and ignorant, harsh words I know but when a home as been flooded they at least like a little syphathy or info as to whats going on, even now I have customers wouldnt dream of having then because of their attitudes doing the flood work.
Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

dandandan

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 01:38:40 pm »
Shops are up and down clint,profits down expenses up,ha ha.Can`t wait for phone to start ringing,bored off my cake.Like i say ads start March 1st so i`ll let you know.dan

clinton

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 02:02:18 pm »
Hi dan

Well not long now then mate to go,hope you keeping of the ale ;)

Jim_77

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 11:16:53 pm »
Interesting discussion!  I'd just like to add my tuppence worth.  (As if I wouldn't :D )

Firstly, when I read posts that say "I heard..." or "people say....." it always sets the old BullS**t alarm ringing.  It's easy to make up stories and type them on forums.  It's tempting to fall into line and peddle the same old crap that others spout, just to blend in with the pack.  To conform out of fear of social rejection is one of mankind's greatest weaknesses, I feel.  But that's a bit deep for a carpet cleaning forum :)

Hands up who actually knows anything about what it's like to actually own a franchise?  Probably only a small handful who are posting here!  The independent guys always seem to have this natural knee-jerk reaction to slate franchises, I think this is partly because they feel threatened (or maybe inferior in some way?!) and partly because everyone else is doing it.

The fact is that a franchise is as individual as any other independent business!  You've got guys like me who work on their own just the same as most of you lot do, and then you can go right up to one of our office cleaning franchises who employ scores of people and turn over millions of pounds a year.

I run my business on a day to day basis without any pressure or dictation from head office.  I'm my own boss, I do what I want and buy whatever equipment and products I like.  I even make my own marketing material when I get around to it.  The only thing I can't change is the colour of the shirt I'm wearing or my company logo.  Big deal, I quite like turquoise and yellow, I've even painted my lounge to match (you can decide for yourselves if that was a joke or not :) ).

Once every blue moon I have to do something I'd rather not, like regional meetings or spend a few hours with my area manager etc.  Every month I pay a percentage of my reported turnover back to head office, but also now and again I get sent a couple of nice jobs to do and all I have to do is go out and do them and collect the money.  Anyone fancy a 10 minute spotting job with a terry towel for 60 quid?

I don't do insurance work now.  I used to, before I owned my franchise, because I worked for the previous owners who did both the cleaning and the restoration.  In SM it's split up into separate licences now, I'm not sure how it works with the other franchise groups.

We have exclusive territories.  ChemDry chuck as many into an area as they think it can handle.  Last time I counted, there were 5 or 6 round here.  Makes for very confusing reading in the YP!  Not sure about the others.

R.E. The Hull floods.... I think at that particular time there were probably more flooded houses in the UK than there were dehumidifiers available to hire.  Do the maths, there's going to be a bit of a problem delivering 5-star service to each and every 10,000 homes all under water at the same time..  I know several people who didn't sleep for days and didn't see their families for a week during that time.  Because they were pumping out flood water and drying buildings.  The percentage of complaints to jobs done probably dropped to an all time low during those times, but because of the sheer volume yes there will have been quite a few complainers kicking up stink.  Happens.

In the grand scheme of things, you get out of franchising what you put in - which of course applies to most things in life ;)

Jim_77

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 11:18:05 pm »
Every month I pay a percentage of my reported turnover back to head office

Obviously, the smart people would have read this carefully ;)

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 11:46:59 pm »
Nicely put Jim ;)

derek west

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 11:50:54 pm »
reported turnover!

like ya style jim
derek