garyj

Re: CLEANED CARPET - MARKS APPEARED
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2007, 02:09:51 pm »
We do a lot of cleanups for a certain utilities company involving soot. Sometimes Champion is the only thing that will shift it. Even on fine wool carpets we've never had a problem. Its only on for a few minutes before being rinsed off.

Like I said John, I don't know much compared with most others on here. I've used Champion for a number of years and no way would I use it on a wool carpet. But if you say it's ok and after all you're the distributor then who am I to argue.

John Kelly

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2007, 03:42:57 pm »
Gary, I was only advocating using it for this specific problem as it can work when other methods have failed. As I said we have used it extensively along with Ultrapac on very serious soot clean-ups including recently on a 10 year old light fawn genuine Wilton (photo) and I really expected to have to right off the carpet but it came up pristine. The soot had been vacuumed with a Dyson and forced into the wool fibres with the roatating brush.

PaulKing

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 05:49:16 pm »
yes champion is the do or die choice, but one I like to have around as often you get to live,

ps I'd try a bit of solvent on those marks sound oily to me, bid it feel a bit oily ?

Personal choice would be Chemspec POG along with formula 90 about the only two things they haven't reformulated in their range and knacked in the process
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

John Kelly

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2007, 08:00:02 pm »
That clean bit was done using a small Karcher spotting machine just to see if it would shift. After cleaning with the truck mount it was finished with fibre & fabric rinse. Looked better than a normal clean.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 08:17:51 pm »
Could they be small filtereation holes from when the carpet was fiyyed with a knee kicker? it does sound as though it is some filteration soiling.

Shaun

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2007, 10:23:04 am »
Ive read this story with interest on here and on Cleantalk.

Would like to know final outcome

Joe H

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2007, 11:36:48 am »
Quite at the moment Ian.
She is getting a quote for all the carpet to be replaced, even though the landing piece ends at the bottom of the top riser. She is sending that to me to pay!

On the basis she is not happy I have offered her a refund of the clean (£55) but she has refused.

Dont know whether to contact a solicitor or my insurance broker/company.
How would you people handle it?

Will keep informed.

John Kelly

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2007, 02:50:30 pm »
Personally I would fight it all the way. I would have a word with a solicitor first which should be free. Contact business link who should be able to put you in touch with someone who can answer the question.
As mentioned earlier, sometimes insurance companies just pay up which is going to cost you.
I would think you will need to put in writing that the cleaning process did not cause the marks but highlighted a problem which was already present. Consequent action by yourself using an unsuitable cleaning agent has prevented us rectifying the situation to your satisfaction.
It may be prudent to include this item on your future terms & conditions. It is standard in mentioning "The cleaning process may highlight stains and other problems which although not visible have been dormant in the carpet" we can accept no responsibilty should this occur but will endeavour to rectify any problems if possible.

Kev Loomes

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2007, 06:40:41 pm »
John's absolutely right Joe, also why doesnt she get it? If it went to insurance I'm sure they would only replace the landing. Lets say for instance she had the same carpet throughout upstairs with no edging strips under each doorway - would she expect the whole floor to be replaced? Would the insurance replace it all? NO, only the one room or area involved thats for sure.

If you need some terms & conditions Joe let me know and I'll send it over in word.

Cheers

Kev

Joe H

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2007, 06:46:31 pm »
I am not going to give in, thats for sure.

What I am doing is taking in all the words of advice I can get from here and just put it together what I hope is a logical, sound reply.

So keep them coming. The more that comes forward the more each of us will benefit.

Take you up on the offer you made Kev - very kind of you
dirtycarpets@warringtoncarpetcleaning.co.uk

John Milnes

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2007, 07:22:44 pm »
Joe,

just to recap, what method have you tried to remove the marks? Did you rinse extract after applying stain removers.

I'm suprised that the marks have not come out unless something has dyed the carpet.

I would try using Prochem Citrus Gel, rinse extract. If that did not work try using rust remover as this can also remove unknown black marks.

I would make sure you can't remove the marks b4 going down another route.

I once went to clean some carpets, one was a bedroom carpet belonging to a 7 year old boy.
The next day custy rings to say a turquos stain has come up over night  :o...she was implying it was my problem. Went next day to see a mark that was not there b4 I cleaned which I could not get out!
As it turned out, little Jonny went to play on his play station after cleaning with a packet of turquois polo's...one went on the damp carpet and the dye in the sweet had permanantly marked the carpet.

John

Mark Lane-Matthews

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2007, 07:23:55 pm »
Joe
If you are a member of the NCCA they have a free legal helpline which could help.

Mark

Kev Loomes

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2007, 07:30:59 pm »
Joe

You've got mail.

Kev

JS2

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2007, 07:50:05 pm »
Joe

No more to say from me, but stick to your guns !  This isn't anything you've done so why should you fork out, even partially for it ?  Just think how many people might try and blame other tradesmen, and succeed, for latent problems - car related work perhaps - and you don't really hear of it.

Regards

Pete (JS2)

Joe H

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2007, 08:19:02 pm »
To John Milnes - when I returned the next day I tried Tex Fabric & Fibre Rinse, Envirodri Spot Remover, Zip It, Charley Spotter, - rinse extraction with warm water after each.
She rang again the next day to say "no difference, no need to bother trying anything else as what you tried has not moved it, and its fluffed up now."
Did not do any rubbing, had a white towel, doubled, and pressing down.

Thank you everyone else.

murky

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2007, 04:51:38 pm »
Joe,

Hope it works out for you, but my 10pennuth is that if she claims off you, you have an excess and your Ins Co will only pay out less 'wear and tear' our policies do not replace new for old.

If she wants to claim and it is proved just volunteer to pay her excess, but I think a Loss Adjuster would come down on your side because it wasnt there before.

Best of luck

Murky

Joe H

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 04:33:47 pm »
Long time seen you seen this post.
All been quiet from the customer but yesterday 13th Feb, I received a letter from her solicitor claiming cost of new carpet (£260) plus what I charged her for the clean (£55).
First time ever, but Monday I am booked in to see a solicitor.

David_Annable

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2008, 08:39:46 pm »
Hi

She cant have it both ways the £55 for the clean is your,as if you hadn't clean it she couldn't claim off you.

The carpet she had before you cleaned it is a second hand carpet, why should you pay for a new one.

I would offer 1/2 the price of the new carpet whilst accepting no liability or see you in court.

These people need a kick up the arse.

Dave

NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Mark Lane-Matthews

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2008, 07:21:37 am »
Hi Joe
I don't see how she has got a leg to stand on now that she has tried to treat the spots herself.I would turn the situation around though a solicitors letter saying that " it appears the customer has set the stain but you are still willing to have another go at improving the damaged area because of your reputation as  a responsible company, even though the circumstances that have been created are not you fault" which would be a fair offer on your part.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2008, 08:03:32 am »
she wants £315 off you, not a great deal of money.

is it really worth the hassle its creating?....... pay it then move on.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk