shaun_pearson

banning jasonb, right or wrong?
« on: July 23, 2004, 03:37:40 pm »
just a poll to see how many agree or disagree with the action taken by the moderators

Ivar_Haglund

Re: banning jasonb, right or wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 03:43:33 pm »
why

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 04:01:36 pm »
I, for one, know how it feels to be treated as a leper  :o
Banning someone for having a different point of view is WRONG. If that person has been insulting or swearing then it is not so wrong. I have not seen all of jasonb's posts but have deemed him to be someone who knows what they are talking about (to a degree) and sits back to watch the reactions once he has lit a fuse.
Banning him will only send him underground......... popping back up under a different guise. ( Take it from me......i know  :-X )
He says what many of us think in the back of our minds but are afraid to say out loud................ i applaud him for that alone ;D

Mark Roberts

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 06:00:05 pm »
Totally agree with Chris on this one. "Banning someone for having a different point of view is WRONG."

Most forums I go go to have a User Agreement / Terms of Service page where you agree to stick to the rules, before you are allowed to post.

I would be interested to know what rules he has broken, where are these rules and how do we know when someone has over-stepped them.

Mark

Harry

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 06:33:55 pm »
Yes, I would like to see the "rules" and hear the moderator's reasons for this action.

If the point of the forum is to create traffic, interest and discussion, Jason should get a medal.  If that is not the point of having a forum,  then what is the point ?

This in the birthplace of free speech, is a surprise !

Leatherwright Seminars

Jasonc

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 06:44:28 pm »
I think his only crime was not adding a smiley here and there so that the likes of [edited by admin] could enjoy the fun too and not get up their own arse about it.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 06:46:07 pm »
Jason. Putting a smiley on the end makes no difference if you are targeted..........take it from a man that knows ;)

Phil Marlor

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 06:51:28 pm »
Dose not bother me if he is on here or not, now I am wise to him.

Like you say what he adds in his comments is there to wind people up and cause reaction.

Just dont know how I fell for it! :-[

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

lee_gundry

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 06:53:29 pm »
get him back on.

Lee G
cumbria

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 07:09:21 pm »
..............& Judy ............no good without Punch  ::)

Derek

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 08:52:14 pm »
Chris

I am sorry but I have to totally disagree with you and others who are prepared to tolerate this diatribe... one rotten apple will eventually spoil the whole barrel.

I would have to consider whether I personally wanted to participate in this or any other forum if it continued.... you may say 'good' ...I can live with that... I have my values

Derek

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 09:00:50 pm »
Derek, Some of the stuff was pure IRONY ( you could put it in a wheelchair and call it Chief) the remainder was tongue in cheek.
I was on the receiving end on one occasion and almost reacted with my usual CHARM >:(, but waited and watched and REALISED :P
Im sure you would feel better face to face with jasonb with an AUTOMAG and a hopper full ;)

Len Gribble

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 10:08:13 pm »
The way I see it, was JansonB ask by the forum moderators to tone down his obnoxious antics if yes and he would not abide they have the right to ban him, on the other hand if they did not I would not be too happy with there decision.

Before I vote I would like to know the answer to my above question was he asked YES or NO.

Yes reading his posts he did have some valid points and some good ideas from a marketing point of view, but did not think he was very ethical if this is the way he wants to run his business so be it, he should keep his own council and not try to convert

I saw an earlier post by him implying he has the means to xxxx this forum, a dummy out of a pram methinks! Very said person!

Harry free speech is tolerated but never a right, over step the mark it’s taken away!

Jasonc I and would hope most on this forum are into peer’s credibility please fill in you profile

Chris your case was totally different the threads went in to banter and only one complained.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 10:11:51 pm »
Len " Henry Kissinger " Gribble.
APPARENTLY
I have not seen all posts from jasonb but what i did see was so tongue in cheek :P ............. i missed all the fuss.
He wouldnt have been allowed to post more than once at Pros :o

Jasonc

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 10:33:34 pm »

Yes reading his posts he did have some valid points and some good ideas from a marketing point of view, but did not think he was very ethical if this is the way he wants to run his business so be it, he should keep his own council and not try to convert

They way I see it is that he wasn't trying to convert anyone.

Jasonc

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 10:41:01 pm »

I saw an earlier post by him implying he has the means to xxxx this forum, a dummy out of a pram methinks! Very said person!

Yes I saw that too, however I think the actual words were "in general it's not a good idea to ban people who have the capability of deleting the whole forum if they so wished." I think he was referring to the general security issues that Yabb has and not actually making any sort of threat :)

Harry

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 10:54:16 pm »
Derek, with respect, it is your show and your house and you have every right to make the rules and if we don't like them we can leave.  All I can tell you is, that is exactly what happened to several Forums in North America.  They no longer exist, end of discussion.

Many Forums have stated rules which usually have to do with offensive language, personal attacks, selling or promotional posts etc. Some posted rules would be nice.

In debating as in parliment there are many very effective and acceptable ways to make a point and promote thinking and promote different ways of looking at things.
Humour, using illustrations and sarcasm, come to mind.
A chap called Shakespeare is an example.

You were given a gift of massive interest, over a quarter of total "views" all in a fortnight, and you tossed it out....
too bad.  I think your viewers, voted in spades.....

All these issues that were raised need discussing and exactly how we come to do so, is less important than, that we do so, IMO.

I for one, hope you will re-consider.

Len, I cannot disagree more strenously.  "Free speech" is, TOLERATED ??? Maybe in Uganda or Egypt.  
How many men, fought and died for "freedom of speech"?  If it is not a "right" then presumably you feel it is unnatural for us to expect to have a free press or freedom of religion and thought.  It is both a right and a precious gift, ask anyone who has lived under a dictatorship.
Who exactly do you feel does have that right to express themselves freely  if not you and I ?
The "Dear Leader" of North Korea, perhaps.
Leatherwright Seminars

Len Gribble

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2004, 11:31:16 pm »
Chris you said it

Jasonc

Haven’t you been a busy boy you must have sat at the computer all day and read his posting/threads before being deleted, a very sad life you have.

What spring to mind tax evasion application of protector etc, he implied he has the means, isn’t that some type of threat?

Harry yes some American forums may have folded but we are not American brash and bold and with there intelligence! End of discussion!  Also back up one moment we all live under some form of dictatorship, but luckily we are not under the gun here yet!

I’m into credibility you give it by you profile.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Jasonc

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2004, 11:39:25 pm »

Jasonc

Haven’t you been a busy boy you must have sat at the computer all day and read his posting/threads before being deleted, a very sad life you have.

Not sad at all really, as I am able to read a topic posting in under 30 seconds on average. If it takes you all day to achieve it then it's not my problem is it?

Derek

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2004, 12:01:26 am »
Harry

I am merely a moderator on this site with limited capabilities...the utimate banning of an individual is up to the Site Administrator.

I have been away for a week and I certainly do not intend trawling all the posts deleting every post I find offensive... I would hope that common sense will prevail and such posts will be ignored for the irritation they cause.  
Sadly the forum has degenerated into more personal attacks and away from the real issues ....its a great pity there isn't a facility on forums that allows us to blot out the posts made by people we don't particularly want to read...this would solve the 'freedom of speech' issue as well.

Derek