robert meldrum

Re: time on the job
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 09:54:45 am »
Nigel

I wrote a long reply about being well aware of Capital Outlay / Depreciation and all of the Fixed and Variable costs involved but decided to clear it as it was getting a bit confrontational.

However, if I was looking at starting up in c/c I reckon the most viable set up in terms of what will make a reasonable profit and best return on investment while delivering good value for money to service users would be a set up that offered results equal to a static T/M machine but without the running costs and could be run from a smaller van with the obvious bonuses.

Modern portables have the power and with auto fill / empty plus an inline heater when required are perfectly capable of holding their own with static t/m's but cost about one third of a t/m's price and can operate from a smaller, less expensive to buy / run van and because of their lower running costs are more profitable and can offer customers better value.

Nigel_W

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 07:06:43 pm »

Todays work - admittedly a very big job.

Fuel@ £50 for Truckmount
Parking £24
Fuel to get to job and back £25
Chemicals etc £50

seems  an awful lot of fuel for t.m  in a day , i use less than that in a week and that includes using a hotbox.  ,and £50 on chems in a day ?. only time i use that amount is if i am encapping commercial. and that would be for a £500 ticket at least 

geoff

Geoff,

I have a Blueline Thermalwave and it was running on high for 9 hours today dual wanding 700 square metres in a house in London. I suspect we went through more than £50 in fuel but i will only find out in the morning when I fill up.

Nigel

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 07:10:32 pm »
Thats some crazy expenses!!

I go through a tub of 10kg Formula90 and a tub of pre-spray a month = £70 ish a month.

Fual for transit, £40 a week = £160 a month.

Two vacs and a pumphead a year = £400ish a year

I prefer my costs.

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 07:13:06 pm »

I go through a tub of 10kg Formula90 and a tub of pre-spray a month = £70 ish a month.

I prefer my costs.

I prefer Nigel's income  ;D

Nigel_W

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2011, 07:19:03 pm »
Nigel

I wrote a long reply about being well aware of Capital Outlay / Depreciation and all of the Fixed and Variable costs involved but decided to clear it as it was getting a bit confrontational.

However, if I was looking at starting up in c/c I reckon the most viable set up in terms of what will make a reasonable profit and best return on investment while delivering good value for money to service users would be a set up that offered results equal to a static T/M machine but without the running costs and could be run from a smaller van with the obvious bonuses.

Modern portables have the power and with auto fill / empty plus an inline heater when required are perfectly capable of holding their own with static t/m's but cost about one third of a t/m's price and can operate from a smaller, less expensive to buy / run van and because of their lower running costs are more profitable and can offer customers better value.

Hi Robert,

I understand what you are saying and I think your advice is very wise for a start up business. However I think that once you start to develop your business the kind of set up you suggest is less profitable. I can assure you that I could not  achieve the same profitability, productivity or price structure for my clients by trading in my Dual wand TM for a portable machine. The extra running costs are overwhelmed by the additional income that can be generated.

Nigel

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 07:40:16 pm »

I prefer my costs.

I prefer Nigel's income  ;D

I know me too! i'm a just a poor lad  ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 07:45:46 pm »
I used to have 2 vans with 2 bane clene electric tms when the other guy left/got sacked then I went to 1 van with a petrol tm and did the same turnover the outgoings went considerably down but I would say that outgoings is linear to incomings.

Shaun

elliott cleaning

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 08:04:39 pm »
......... but I would say that outgoings is linear to incomings.

Shaun

Are you sure Shaun ;).  Can I apply ' Boolean functions'  for my business projections ;)

Luc

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2011, 08:12:54 pm »
i did 7 jobs today, all with the customers very pleased and happy - admittedly a very busy and long, long day and i feel like crap afterwards. i work as a 2 man team with one cleaning, while the other presprays, move furniture and aggitate etc. we work very well organised and and very pleased with the results we get.

hall,stairs,landing,3 bedrooms.
3 seater,2 seater, 1 chair and lounge.
hall,stair,landing x2 and 2 6x4 rugs,
lounge and hall and small wc
lounge, hall, stairs and landing
lounge and rug
conservatory, lounge, hall stairs and walkways of 2 beds

total cost of fuel for tm £35, £35 transit and £10 - £15 chemicals but total income well over £800. not sure if i could handle everyday like this tho but its good while it lasts  :)

Len Gribble

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2011, 08:14:32 pm »
Carpet Dawg

Fuel for transit, £40 a week = £160 a month.

My calculations week X 52 / 12 = £173.3333 unless a leap year

Steve

I prefer my income  ;)

Shaun

Would love to price on Linear ;D
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2011, 08:16:12 pm »
Frans yours at rs

Shaun

Craigp

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2011, 08:16:24 pm »
2 jobs a day average for me, sometimes one large one or 3 small ones.

Nigel_W

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2011, 08:20:46 pm »
Frans yours at rs

Shaun

Shaun it that Boolean code for "Frans your rat arsed"

robert meldrum

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2011, 09:00:39 pm »
Nigel

Having a dual wanding machine puts a totally different slant on things and clearly if used to anything like it's capacity must be in another league altogether.

Don't imagine there are too many such set u ps in the entire country.............

Think Simon has one and possibly the American guy, Dave from Liahona.

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2011, 09:13:57 pm »
I have a Maxx 470 dual operator, must confess i have not used the option.
Powerful machine, but not as  much as Nigels Blueline or Simons Titan

Andrew

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2011, 10:35:50 pm »
Nigel

Having a dual wanding machine puts a totally different slant on things and clearly if used to anything like it's capacity must be in another league altogether.

Don't imagine there are too many such set u ps in the entire country.............

Think Simon has one and possibly the American guy, Dave from Liahona.
Robert,
I've got the Titan 875 which is 60% more powerful than the maxx 470 / Titan 575 and can clean three areas simultaneously with three RX20's, even 18 decks up the side of a cruise ship. We have used 4 RX's on it once. now that's power!!!
The largest carpet we clean is a restaurant on Queen Mary 2, 1650 square yards, cleaning time, 4 hours!  :o

Simon

mark_roberts

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2011, 11:05:50 pm »
Carpet Dawg

I think your forgetting to include in your daily costs

van repairs, machine repairs, uniforms, accountant fees, stationery, computer ink, postage, phones, advertising, courses, insurance,  etc etc.  It does all add up to around £100 a day assuming you work 5 days a week.

The more you make the more you spend to make it.

Mark

Jim_77

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2011, 01:46:38 am »
It's a bloody good job that carpet cleaners aren't accountants!!

I prefer Nigel's income

<LIKE>

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 03:19:46 am »
Carpet Dawg

I think your forgetting to include in your daily costs

van repairs, machine repairs, uniforms, accountant fees, stationery, computer ink, postage, phones, advertising, courses, insurance,  etc etc.  It does all add up to around £100 a day assuming you work 5 days a week.

The more you make the more you spend to make it.

Mark

Thanks for the reply. I know all my expenses down to the last penny and its no where near £100 a day.

Very little marketing costs and using a porty helps too. And I work 6 days a week.

And believe me, i prefer my PROFIT way better!  ;) ;)

Regards
Tony

Craigp

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2011, 08:35:55 am »
So your more your more profitable than Nigel W are you?

You must be the new most successful c/cer in the UK.