Jamie Lindsay

time on the job
« on: December 06, 2011, 11:45:52 pm »
I have read a few posts recently and I have heard  a few say the get through 6-7 jobs per day ?

I just cant see how this is posible lol maybe it is but could someone explain

the reason behind this is that and Im sure you will agree.. the time spent doing the non carpet cleaning things ie driving there unloading machine and all other bits n bobs the water etc etc

could someone shed light on this

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

Re: time on the job
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:16:22 am »
WELL FIRSTLY ...IF THE JOBS ARE CLOSE THEN THATS THE TRAVELLING TIME CUT DOWN AND SECONLY IF ITS DONE BY A TRUCKMOUNT NO TIME WASTED FILLING AND EMPTYING...NEXT???

Jim_77

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:20:03 am »
Monty also saves time by leaving his capslock on, saves turning it on and off when needed :D

p.S I've got 5 calls to make tomorrow:

- lounge & hall
- lounge, stairs & landing
- empty 3 bed house
- return a rug and do some selling
- protect 16sqm carpet in retailer's warehouse

total travelling probably 45 miles.  Leave house 9.15, get home probably 4.30 - 5.00

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:23:54 am »
6-7 jobs

they must be getting 1 carpet and no furniture moving

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:24 am »
all you need is motivation. Its not how long a job takes... it's how long you want it to last . I dont know how long you have been carpet cleaning but ive done it for over 16 years now and 5 jobs a day no probs. Speed comes with experience.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:41:22 am »
not saying you cant do it

do you move furniture

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 12:46:19 am »
of course... i am a TACCA member you know  ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 01:01:21 am »
.. problem is, he doesn't bring it back in out of the garden afterwards ;D ;D

Nigel_W

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 06:53:17 am »
Jamie,

I have been in this business over 22 years and I have not yet managed to do 7 jobs in one day. In fact it is probably almost impossible in London even for 7 of the smallest possible jobs due to traffic and parking.

The number of jobs you complete in one day means nothing anyway. What matters is how many pounds you have in your pocket at the end of the day and how many of todays clients will ring you next time they need cleaning.

I  would prefer the minimum number of jobs per day. I have been working hard to improve my average job value and reduce the number of jobs.

Nigel

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 07:11:06 am »
all you need is motivation. Its not how long a job takes... it's how long you want it to last .  

what does that actually mean???

first job today I'm doing a 3 bed house and a big suite .... i want it to last 2 hour but it will take 5 :-\ :-\

to do 7 jobs a day they need to be closed to together single rooms or you are working long hours or work as a 2 man team. I work with maximum efficiency, my jobs are within a couple of miles of each other and i would struggle to do 7 multi-room jobs a day
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

davep

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 07:31:55 am »
6 today

Lounge sl
3 seater
3 beds sl
3 beds sl
Lounge
Lounge sl

All on own no prob

All within 3 miles otherwise couldn't do it

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 07:40:11 am »
Jamie,

I have been in this business over 22 years and I have not yet managed to do 7 jobs in one day. In fact it is probably almost impossible in London even for 7 of the smallest possible jobs due to traffic and parking.

The number of jobs you complete in one day means nothing anyway. What matters is how many pounds you have in your pocket at the end of the day and how many of todays clients will ring you next time they need cleaning.

I  would prefer the minimum number of jobs per day. I have been working hard to improve my average job value and reduce the number of jobs.

Nigel

Personally...I dont agree with this statement. For me yes it,s nice to go home with 4-500 pounds per day but I think like this... The more doors you get in the more referals you get. Works for me. Its not about earning £500 pound in a day. I prefer a consatant flow of work and a regular income. I learnt this from my granma "little and often" is better than all in one go then worry about where next is coming from. I implement this in my business and i never have to worry about where my next customer is coming from as always booked solid. Some chose not to work like this but at the end of the day its my business and it works for me and a big factor is your personal circumstances. If you have massive morgage and loads of other commitments then yes you need a high income fast as people worry about paying for the lifestyle they live. I think this is where the world has gone wrong. People have got greedy and expect others to pay for it. I pefer to offer a quallity service at a fair price affordable for everyone. This long lerm is better without a doubt. I read comments after comments from people on here struggling. My advice is "your best asset in your business is your customers. The more you have and the better value for money you give them strenthens your business and refferals are never short of." I am not knocking anyone... only trying to be onest and perhaps give helpfull advice.

work today
h/s/l
lounge
lounge diner
stairs/ landing lounge
2 +3 seater

John Kelly

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 08:08:49 am »
Theres a wide gulf between being "fair priced" and being "cheap" problem is I see too many who are cheap. It damages the industry and disheartens the operator.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 08:13:55 am »
I did five jobs yesterday.
Lounge HSL
Lounge diner conservatory
3 bedrooms (on on the third frigging floor :'()
Lounge
Three bed semi all thru.
And I'm an old numpty, so you young sods should eat a day like that.
Get some pie down yer neck ;D

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 08:20:54 am »
Whilst doing the groupon jobs I was regularly doing 5 or 6 jobs a day..

I am an old numpty too, so you young whipper snappers should be doing double that....

;D ;D ;D

clinton

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 08:40:32 am »
Hector ;D

Got 5 jobs to do today myself here..

1 will be a furniture move around for an old lady so that job will take time..

simbo

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 08:41:33 am »
what amazes me is the fact you get 5-6 jobs per day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 08:43:12 am »
4 to 5 jobs a day is easy especially if close together and you have a helper who fetches and carries.

Besides which it could be a mix of thru lounge, spot/stain removal, small velour 3ps. Sometimes it can be a bit embarrassing how quickly you can get through a job.

If all you have to do is clean without having to do any marketing or quoting you will certainly have more time available. The trouble is that at this time of the year you work late and then there is no time left in the evening to do much and by the time you knock off for Christmas you are so tired that you don't want to party and besides you often go down with illness as your body reacts to the sudden stop of adrenelin.

Ideally no more than 4 a day would be great (good money) but then you get a regular client with a rush job which you then need to squeeze in....and then a highly profitable job presents itself which also needs to be done today and then you find yourself working a 12 hour day. It's ok if it's once a week or so, but when it's every day you will inevitably get run down. But there again it's "loads of money" ;D

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

craignozza

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 12:21:39 pm »
im also doing 5-6 jobs a day on a regular basis at the moment . I suppose its what you get used to doing if your only used to doing two or three a day then five or six will feel like you dont have enough hours in the day to complete it .

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 12:42:23 pm »
but you are doing groupon work as well are you not Craig?