Neil Grainger

Re: Truckmount users- pre vac ?
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 09:22:44 pm »
HI Justin

all good mate, Been a stange year so far Jan feb March were great april and May were just rubbish but this last week has been good, next week is ok and plenty booked for June.

did you hear that Catherine is getting married in 3 weeks, have you been invited?

MAX Carpets

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 09:23:14 pm »
It wont ruin carpets, but we are running a business, time is money Rodney!

MAX Carpets

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 09:26:02 pm »
Jan, Feb, March probably the worst years for me! Good now though. No I havnt seen Ron & Reg since School (Debbie & Catherine) But they are great girls, send Catherine my regards and wish her luck for big day.

jasonl

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 09:29:34 pm »
I would love to know why people do not pre vac , when it is recommended by so  many experts and does not take long .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

MAX Carpets

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 09:31:07 pm »
TM,

elliott cleaning

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 09:31:27 pm »
........ I am mostly cleaning "clean" carpets..........

Steve - we operate in Surrey where this is the norm.    Guess other parts of the country suffer from a diferent level of soiling - so maybe sucking up with a dry vacuum before getting down to the real business is a necessity ;)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2010, 09:39:16 pm »
Weere thiz muck thiz brass! I like a dirty carpet shows the enemy what they're getting for their shillin !

Shaun

PS my vac sits pillion with me and with a seat belt on so the bobbys can't hand me a ticket.

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 09:41:54 pm »

Steve - we operate in Surrey where this is the norm.    Guess other parts of the country suffer from a diferent level of soiling - so maybe sucking up with a dry vacuum before getting down to the real business is a necessity ;)

That was the point I was trying to make young man  ;)

Paul, not trying to ruffle your feathers at all mate, and no you're not wrong, it's simply not mandatory in every circumstance.

I was informed yesterday that a close relative has been diagnosed with luekemia and now today I have heard the tragic news about Andy - I guess my usual ability to get my point across has been affected by more important events.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 09:42:06 pm »
Been ok, need to look at other marketing idea's and not just really on Internet

derek west

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2010, 09:43:23 pm »
paul
you advertise 10 steps to carpet cleaning, (and your lucky your websites down as ive got out my fine tooth comb ;D) could you tell me what these are please. ;D

like i said, i always pre vac but tell the customer its a waste and if they want to save some money they should opt out and i'll do it a bit cheaper, there, think thats the law suit covered. ;D

jason
ive told you why i don't pre vac, 100% customer satisfaction. i rest my case.
ps...do you do a bleed test  before you clean every carpet? i hope so as thats how its taught. its industry standards to do a bleed test. and i hope you test your solutions on every carpet too. another industry standard. is there anything ive missed out as its been a while since i turned into a cowboy, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. ;D

Colin Day

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2010, 09:55:37 pm »
It's funny really, this time last year most of you would be saying that they "Did" pre vac every time, but a lot of you are dropping your guard and being less pretencious... ::)

Next you'll be all admitting you only charge £8.99 per room and work like a Polish daffodil picker!!!

C-I-U= Cowboys In Unison ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2010, 09:59:23 pm »
paul
you advertise 10 steps to carpet cleaning, (and your lucky your websites down as ive got out my fine tooth comb ;D) could you tell me what these are please. ;D

like i said, i always pre vac but tell the customer its a waste and if they want to save some money they should opt out and i'll do it a bit cheaper, there, think thats the law suit covered. ;D

jason
ive told you why i don't pre vac, 100% customer satisfaction. i rest my case.
ps...do you do a bleed test  before you clean every carpet? i hope so as thats how its taught. its industry standards to do a bleed test. and i hope you test your solutions on every carpet too. another industry standard. is there anything ive missed out as its been a while since i turned into a cowboy, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. ;D

My website isnt down mate it/they (2) are just being updated  ??? 10 step is:

1) Phone call
2) answer it
3) say hello
4) book the job
5) have a pint
6) go and do the job, with pre vac included
7) take the £'s
8) go and have another pint or two
9) ring the customer to see if they liked my bs36
10) receive the law suit  ;D

jasonl

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2010, 10:02:20 pm »
I must be a cowboy Paul , as I do not drink .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2010, 10:16:47 pm »

That was the point I was trying to make young man  ;)

Paul, not trying to ruffle your feathers at all mate, and no you're not wrong, it's simply not mandatory in every circumstance.

I was informed yesterday that a close relative has been diagnosed with luekemia and now today I have heard the tragic news about Andy - I guess my usual ability to get my point across has been affected by more important events.

Sorry to hear the sad news about your relative Steve, didnt know Andy but have seen the posts and my condolences go out to all of his family.

It is hard to get a point across on a forum without someone taking it the wrong way, I am maybe guilty of this on this occasion, but only because I felt a bit of bitterness coming my way, no hard feelings though.

All the best, Paul

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2010, 10:22:14 pm »
I must be a cowboy Paul , as I do not drink .

You have to take in fluids Jasonl or you will dehydrate and die  :(

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2010, 10:25:14 pm »
Only bleed test I do is on the customer to see how much I can take ;D

Shaun

Jason Hedges

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2010, 10:44:35 pm »
Like it Shaun ;D.

I only vac when I feel necessary. On a job for letting agent today I would have because of the massive ammount of dust and pet hair in all the carpets. However there was no electricity so couldnt.

Still did the job with tm and a few extra passes of the wand and job done, running hand tool along skirting boards to remove what wand wouldnt pick up.

All the best,
Jason.

derek west

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2010, 11:08:10 pm »
paul
good answer ;D ;D ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2010, 11:16:30 pm »
You have to take in fluids Jasonl or you will dehydrate and die 

I mentioned this to her indoors but she explained that they'll be a different fluid flowing out of my skull if I didn't shut up!

Shaun

Jim_77

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2010, 11:26:05 am »
What cleans a carpet better? A £100 hoover or a £10,000 truckmount?

There's only two cases I spend any amount of time with a vacuum in my hand, and that's as Joe says above if there's big bits that'll get shoved around by the wand rather than sucked up easily.  Second case is the edges - if there's loads of crap accumulated round the edges of the carpet I'll go round with the crevice tool because it's actually quicker than trying to do it with the wand.

However I always agitate, either with a groomer, duo or rotary brush. All 3 of which flick up loads of crap to the top of the carpet.  Most importantly they gather up all the fluff and hair, so it can get removed easily by extraction

On upholstery, I still vac the sides and back and most importantly down the inside edges where all the money goes (thinly veiled excuse to make a few more pence on each job :D).

I disagree with the suggestion that customers take offence if you start off with a vacuum.  However, if you offend them by telling them their vacuuming is rubbish they will!  If you put a spin on it, like "your vacuuming is very helpful but I always do this because vacuuming twice is better than vacuuming once - I want to make sure I get the best job done for you"  or "I can see I'm not going to get much out of the carpet because you've vacuumed it so well, but it's always worth doing this because my vacuuming process is also to lift the pile, which helps the cleaning process".  People find it impossible to take offence at a compliment!