rb4no

been roof cleaning and need some advise
« on: July 30, 2023, 08:17:19 pm »
done a few roof cleans (all bungalows) and have found that I end up doing them using a regular lance and standing on the roof. I have roof FSC and turbo nozzle plus 35 ft pole conversion, my pw is a gx390 setup. Thing is I'm really struggling to control the pole, i've recently purchased a pressure gauge but think it's broken as the needle keeps sticking and won't move either way.  What do you guys do, low rpms and low pressure, do you get good results that way? To be fair most of the roofs I've done have been super thick with moss so I've always had to up the rpms so can't tell how the pole setup would work on a normal roof and at height. Thing is there's a first story job I really want to do and can get it but could do with some advise. I lots of pressure washing experience, I have all the equipment I guess I just need to know how to setup the kit properly and crack on. thanks everyone

Smudger

Re: been roof cleaning and need some advise
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 11:22:12 pm »
Full pressure - turbo nozzle - there are exceptions to this - but generally if you can walk it - pressure wash it full chat

Spider lift is a marvellous  tool get up and over the roof without walking on it - much safer than harness and rope.

gauges only give the pressure while your pulling the trigger - not when water is returning to tank - you need to "feel" your pressure using the unloader - wind it fully open for low pressure then its about 3 turns - any more and the pole acts like it has a great white hooked to the other end.

Long poles are absolutely the last resort - even with a FSC on the end - for use where no other way can get you to that bit of roof - its also slow,( such low pressure) and a strain on the bod.

Slacky seems to use this method well - but not my first choice

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

rb4no

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 07:22:35 am »
cheers Darran, the next job lined up is a first floor slate roof, access is tight but will fit a narrow tower but not powered access unfortunately. Your down the road from me, may need to shadow you guys for a day and see how its done! :😃😃

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 07:41:23 am »
No Probs

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

tom20001

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 08:17:06 pm »
No Probs

Darran

Not trying to hijack thread I've not really cleaned roofs with pwasher so  don't have much to add. But Darran, how do you clean fibre cement roof slates?

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 11:50:10 pm »
I clean them very well

Thanks for asking

Darran

tom20001

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 06:26:56 am »
I clean them very well

Thanks for asking

Darran

Wasn't a loaded or mischievous question just a genuine query. I've seen some lads doing them around here and done them very well with pwasher so was just wondering about method is all. As in is pressure turned down very low to avoid removing coating on them slates or is hot water used or how its done that's all.

waterforce

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 08:38:47 pm »
done a few roof cleans (all bungalows) and have found that I end up doing them using a regular lance and standing on the roof. I have roof FSC and turbo nozzle plus 35 ft pole conversion, my pw is a gx390 setup. Thing is I'm really struggling to control the pole, i've recently purchased a pressure gauge but think it's broken as the needle keeps sticking and won't move either way.  What do you guys do, low rpms and low pressure, do you get good results that way? To be fair most of the roofs I've done have been super thick with moss so I've always had to up the rpms so can't tell how the pole setup would work on a normal roof and at height. Thing is there's a first story job I really want to do and can get it but could do with some advise. I lots of pressure washing experience, I have all the equipment I guess I just need to know how to setup the kit properly and crack on. thanks everyone
Your machine is too big for the pole