Mark Dee

Pressure Washer Advice
« on: July 10, 2023, 01:11:07 pm »

Looking for a "ready to go" van mount setup. Ideally 250 bar 25 lpm with 300 bar 25lpm hotbox. I have noticed some users here use modified drain jetters with high flow rates compared to dedicated pressure washing setups. I presume that it is straightforward enough to turn flow and pressure down as and when required. I see that the jetters are  generally using bigger engines eg 24hp engines as opposed to say a 16hp engine in a pressure wash setup.

Are there any issues  using these higher hp engines at lower rpm to bring down flow and pressure or will they perform just fine. Any other potential problems (apart from water supply at higher flow rates) that I should be aware of?

Thanks

Thanks

Smudger

Re: Pressure Washer Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 09:59:21 am »
I do this regularly for certain works - will not hurt the engine - in fact should be a nice change for it from running full chat.

larger engine - more fuel
may be starved of water unless very good supply

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Mark Dee

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 06:25:19 pm »
Just an update.... Bought a 250 bar 27 lpm van mount with 300 bar 30lpm hotbox, 500 litre tank. It has a 23hp B&S vanguard as the power supply so gives me plenty of options moving forward.
First machine, so looking forward to having it installed. This isnt an add on cleaning service so will have to earn its keep, could have gone smaller etc etc but  my way of thinking is if I want to provide a top notch quality job and want to get home before it goes dark I need the kit plus knowledge and experience  to do it ( the latter 2 should come with some hard work and time).

PS thanks for the advice smudger you produce some great looking work btw.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 06:37:05 pm »
That's a serious bit of kit,  you going for massive jobs like carparks etc then?

Splash & dash

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 07:04:05 pm »
That's a serious bit of kit,  you going for massive jobs like carparks etc then?

It will need a good water supply 😂😂😂 21 ltr is bad enough to keep up

Yada Yada Yada - www.m-clean.uk

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 07:58:29 pm »
What's the target market for this machine, residential and or commercial?

As an add on is there already an outlet for it?

SB Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 08:50:49 pm »

It will need a good water supply 😂😂😂 21 ltr is bad enough to keep up
I was thinking the same  ;D

Mark Dee

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 09:10:27 pm »
What's the target market for this machine, residential and or commercial?

As an add on is there already an outlet for it?

Domestic primarily and initially, but with the capability to tackle larger sized jobs. I want to be able to complete larger jobs as quickly as possible.

I have no existing outlet for it, its a start from  scratch enterprise. I have options going forward with it if the setup doesnt match the work .  I havent read many posts on here (and Ive read one hell of a lot) where the poster said they wished they had gone for less flow and pressure ( apart from Roger Oakley on his type of work).

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 10:18:22 pm »
Thats because most people start off with a silly little thing and then move up - its good thinking big but for a stat up its overkill and something you might regret.

but very good luck with it - start pumping those window cleaning customers for add ons!

Yada - you in Norwich yet?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Mark Dee

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 08:50:39 am »
Thats because most people start off with a silly little thing and then move up - its good thinking big but for a stat up its overkill and something you might regret.

but very good luck with it - start pumping those window cleaning customers for add ons!

Yada - you in Norwich yet?

Darran

Yes it is overkill I could get away  with much less, however, with this setup I have the opportunity to stand out from my local competitors. I am under no illusion that having the gear guarantees anything, but for what I have spent its a risk I dont mind taking. Its all relative.

No just trying to start off with a setup which will be able to efficiently tackle  a wide variety of work but if I get  larger jobs I have the kit to get through it and be able to price competitively should I need to.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 09:56:59 am »
My machine is 41 LPM and on idle 25 LPM, never once have I regretted having the larger flow capacity, across all previous machines as well.

The difference is I have an outlet for it and works are very large commercial, rapid and back to back.

Does it have a downside, yes - when not on a WO/hydrant fill and  I then have to go and 'fetch' water.

A 1000 litre tank will last no more than half an hour, thankfullly it doesn't run at full flow very often, just when needed.

If you take a 'good' domestic water supply to fill at 15LPM (average), when working full flow there will be a deficit of 12LPM, that eventually becomes downtime, waiting to refill or at least get enough water to carry on and so on and so on.

Pressure washing has the potential to earn great money but it isn't the machine that does that, everyone thinks get a machine and push it out there and here we go.

It just isn't that easy, learn to market the business, blog about it on your socials, get photos and post them, learn to sell it after the enquiry.

Most of all know how to use the machine for the best results, don't settle for 'good enough' match your ability with the machine to 'above' client expectation and that's a standard as minimum.

Domestic market isn't something, pressure washing, I've ever done but target roof cleaning and again do it properly.

When you know what you're doing the confidence on the doorstep will get the sale, a reputation will be built and go from there.

Having the machine doesn't make you better than others, using it to give the best results will do that.

After 16 years I still want to leave the best job possible, looked at a commercial estate yesterday that was staggering in size.

I was going to write something controversial and not for a public forum about 30 LPM boilers - give me a call on that one, through the website and we'll have a chat.

Get a website and blog, blog, blog.

I wish you well on the new venture, like Darran - happy to help if you need it.

Darran - someone else did it while I was everywhere else. We will catch up, if they've done that one over your way I'm sure there'll be others

Mark Dee

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2023, 09:34:11 pm »
My machine is 41 LPM and on idle 25 LPM, never once have I regretted having the larger flow capacity, across all previous machines as well.

The difference is I have an outlet for it and works are very large commercial, rapid and back to back.

Does it have a downside, yes - when not on a WO/hydrant fill and  I then have to go and 'fetch' water.

A 1000 litre tank will last no more than half an hour, thankfullly it doesn't run at full flow very often, just when needed.

If you take a 'good' domestic water supply to fill at 15LPM (average), when working full flow there will be a deficit of 12LPM, that eventually becomes downtime, waiting to refill or at least get enough water to carry on and so on and so on.

Pressure washing has the potential to earn great money but it isn't the machine that does that, everyone thinks get a machine and push it out there and here we go.

It just isn't that easy, learn to market the business, blog about it on your socials, get photos and post them, learn to sell it after the enquiry.

Most of all know how to use the machine for the best results, don't settle for 'good enough' match your ability with the machine to 'above' client expectation and that's a standard as minimum.

Domestic market isn't something, pressure washing, I've ever done but target roof cleaning and again do it properly.

When you know what you're doing the confidence on the doorstep will get the sale, a reputation will be built and go from there.

Having the machine doesn't make you better than others, using it to give the best results will do that

After 16 years I still want to leave the best job possible, looked at a commercial estate yesterday that was staggering in size.

I was going to write something controversial and not for a public forum about 30 LPM boilers - give me a call on that one, through the website and we'll have a chat.

Darran - someone else did it while I was everywhere else. We will catch up, if they've done that one over your way I'm sure there'll be others

Thanks for the advice. when is a good time to call?

Splash & dash

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 10:46:05 pm »

Having the machine doesn't make you better than others, using it to give the best results will do that.

Very sound advice  👍

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2023, 11:25:41 am »
Mark

Give me a call this afternoon, I'm down at my unit and the reception is not the best, send me a text and I'll call you when I pick it up.

07919 425664 - there's no point me not putting it on here, it's out there anyway.

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2023, 11:26:08 am »
Thanks guys for the likes - I like you all as well!