Kewin Lindholm

How best to access roof sections for a roof clean?
« on: June 08, 2023, 09:07:10 pm »
Evening all,

I wonder if you could provide some advice on how best to get to some roof sections on a job. I've done lower levels cleans before with ladders (garages, awnings, etc.) but this is the first possible full house where I need to get to the roof and all around the property.

The back is  a full section of slope but tricky as there's decking then a conservatory in the way of reaching the roof. At the side is a storage room and planted area. On the other side is the garage. Something in the way at all sides! The front is accessible but has a vaulted section in the middle.

For the back I thought to hire an articulated / telescopic boom lift, but I'm not sure there's room?

Any thoughts on how to get up and around safely and efficiently would be appreciated!

Kewin.

Splash & dash

Re: How best to access roof sections for a roof clean?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 11:42:04 pm »
Darren is the man for this but a cherry picker is your best bet should be able to do front and back roofs from the front of the property if you get a big enough one or a small spider lift might go into the back garden .

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 11:46:40 pm »
what work are you doing to the roof - doesn't look in much need of a clean ?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Kewin Lindholm

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 08:37:36 am »
Morning,

You guys are on the boards late!

Smudger:
I was thinking that might be the simplest, all round way. We've got a Boels here that I could hire from (no idea on the price as its PoA of course  ::)roll They have a double gate at the back with a 1.3m gap to get something through. The self-powered booms seem to be 1.5m width so the gate might have to go for a bit  ;)

Darran:
Yep, this is a roof clean.  It's not too bad but the back of the house is covered in moss. Every time I go to clean the windows it's on the conservatory roof. For this the owners are constantly looking at 'what next', they literally can't leave the property alone. The plan this year is to clean the roof(s), repair the front render then repaint the whole house. Hence the roof question.

I've done the lower level stuff and showed them how what a bit of Hydro (thanks for the tip Darran, what a labour saver) and a jet wash would do (that strip on the garage). So now they've offered me to do the lot.

Just not sure of the best approach as I'm a total noob at the higher level stuff / off-ladder so any advice welcome!

Cheers,

Kewin.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 02:16:03 pm »
providing you have access 1.3 meter is more than enough as most Hinowa machines will fit through 1 meter gap (. without basket)

a 20 meter m/c would reach all the parts of the roof  - in the garden the footprint os 2.9 meter sq

You could do all the back from the garden then set up at the front for those aspects

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk