Xtremely Clean

customers smoking
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:11:23 pm »
I gave up smoking over a year ago now and don't fancy passive smoking when cleaning customers carpets, for those that don't smoke do you politely ask them not to smoke and air the house out before you get there?
Thanks
Rob Clarke

wayne zabel

Re: customers smoking
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:09:27 pm »
As a non smoker I hate working in houses were they smoke,I often feel like telling them as this is my place of work I think it right that you dont smoke.

I dont know how the legislation on the smoking ban covers these situations.

Its a difficult situation when they are paying you :)

I must say its only on rare occasions that i work in smokers' houses

dan paton

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:32:10 pm »
why dont u ask them beforehand if they smoke or not . if u do a survey then you'll know as u would smell it . if u quote over the phone then ask . sorry mate but their hiring you . no way can you ask them to not smoke in their own home .dont matter if its a council house or a million pound home .. its theirs.. you cant smoke in restaruants or pubs now so u cant tell people what to do in their own homes .  if u dont want the work then dont do it . im sure there are plenty of cc in your area who would gladly do it
                                                                             dan

Xtremely Clean

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:59:33 pm »
why dont u ask them beforehand if they smoke or not . if u do a survey then you'll know as u would smell it . if u quote over the phone then ask . sorry mate but their hiring you . no way can you ask them to not smoke in their own home .dont matter if its a council house or a million pound home .. its theirs.. you cant smoke in restaruants or pubs now so u cant tell people what to do in their own homes .  if u dont want the work then dont do it . im sure there are plenty of cc in your area who would gladly do it
                                                                             dan
You can look at it that way but is it really asking too much for someone not to smoke for a couple of hours while you do a job for them, as for council houses the council do request that you refrain from smoking half an hour before the worker turns up till after they leave  :)
Rob Clarke

dan paton

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 12:17:03 am »
sorry clarkey but that is their HOME you cant tell anyone what to do in their own home . do you ask them not to smoke for a few hours beforehand ???  i  know what my missus would say to that !!!  i  dare  anyone to tell me what i can and cannot do in my own house . u decide who u want to work for . so make better choices

AshWhite

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:24:43 am »
I'm with Dan on this one. Different if they're hanging over you with a fAg in their hand, but half an hour before you arrive?
I hate second hand smoke, but asking someone in their own home not to smoke for potentially a few hours - I wouldn't do it myself, but its your perogative. As Dan said, there'll be someone else who doesn't mind doing it.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Xtremely Clean

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 08:54:15 am »
I wasn't thinking of them not smoking at all but maybe having them at the front or back door while im there, well im going to try it ill let you all know how I get on ;D
Rob Clarke

*Hector*

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 09:02:22 am »
If you leave your machine at the front door, and run the hoses into the house, then the door will be open..... Otherwise you either have to put up with it.... Or refuse the job... IMHO
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Xtremely Clean

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 09:16:25 am »
Looks like im alone on this one :'(
Rob Clarke

*Hector*

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 09:35:13 am »
I would say so... And I stopped smoking 18 months ago too...

But I would have told anyone who asked me not to smoke in my own home to take a running jump.....
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 10:50:39 am »
tell you what dont bother buying a cleaner and save yourself a few quid if this is the way you treat your custmors now befoure you have any

i hate to think what you will be like when your in there homes belive with an out look like this when you first start you wont last long ask the 1000s of landlords that now on the dole about smokeing they will tell you the real story

Steve Gunn

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 11:53:58 am »
Our local council tell their tenants they cannot smoke in their house for up to 2 hours before workmen arrive,yes some moan but if they do smoke the workmen walk and they don't get the work done

JandS

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:16:58 pm »
But they're council workers so will be getting paid anyway.
Just about every smokers house I've been in the owner
has either gone outside or to a room I wasn't doing.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Ryan @ Transparent, Carlisle

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 02:28:26 pm »
Under the smoking ban, customers should not smoke in the house while they have a worker in, be it a doctor, care worker, tradesman or a cleaner!

gwrightson

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 02:47:21 pm »

I cant believe some body is actually considering asking a potential customer not to smoke in their own home ::)  are you in a postion to turn work away ?  because I would say 100% of them will tell you take a run and jump. As for the law, what a load of twaddle, do you actualy know any body who has been prosecuted for smoking whilr work men inside? the law even supposedly stopped smokers from work vehicles, i see dozens every day of work men smoking in a van or a lorry, it simply is not enforcable, again does any body know of any body smoking in a works vehicle ? 
I have a suggestion for Clarky, either get in the real world ;) or change  your occupation to some thing like ermmmmmmmm   , ermmmmmm   , hmmmmm , the dole maybe ,please dont tell me your allergic to pets and you wont work if the custy owns pets  ;) then you will be really stuggling

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Xtremely Clean

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 05:12:29 pm »
Well thanks for your comments constructive or not ;D, like I said ill be asking them not to smoke and if they are decent people who actually care about other peoples health even though they don't their own ill be happy to clean their carpets and ovens, if they insist on smoking ill be happy not to clean them as I wouldn't want them as a customer ;D
Rob Clarke

dan paton

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 06:12:43 pm »

what about one of these clarkey  ;D

gwrightson

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 06:13:28 pm »
Well thanks for your comments constructive or not ;D, like I said ill be asking them not to smoke and if they are decent people who actually care about other peoples health even though they don't their own ill be happy to clean their carpets and ovens, if they insist on smoking ill be happy not to clean them as I wouldn't want them as a customer ;D
[/
quote] ;D  

YOU ARE JOKING ARNT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

gEOFF                  
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 06:29:00 pm »
I can't remember the last time a client smoked in my presence, so it's not a problem.

Making an issue of it could well be a problem.

I would think carefully before telling someone what they can or can't do in their own home, or you could have a short career in carpet cleaning.

Xtremely Clean

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 06:30:03 pm »

what about one of these clarkey  ;D
Cheers Dan problem solved  :D
Rob Clarke