cybersye

what planet are some people on ?
« on: March 20, 2009, 04:20:24 pm »
quoted for a 6 weekly job yesterday, £15
went and did it today, even rang ahead and gave an eta
turned up did the job when finished the guy says "can I pay you next time, I have no cash"
So I say "I can take a cheque"
"I dont have a cheque book" he says "can you drop by on a weekend to collect it?"
 ??? some people are just unbelievable
needless to say, I wil ring them arrange a time and get my money and wont be going back
I read alot on here of similar experiences but never in my 5 years at this job have I had this happen to me with a new customer  ::)

tomy jackson

Re: what planet are some people on ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 04:26:29 pm »
youv bin lucky

chuggers

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 04:38:53 pm »
Some people will always take advantage, get your money whatever it takes as a matter of principle and never go back.
It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

steve a

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 06:05:52 pm »
always when quoting for a new job. Ask the frequency, walk the job, agree which windows are to be cleaned and ask HOW WILL PAYMENT BE MADE!.

This generally sorts it out from the start.

cybersye

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 07:53:37 pm »
always when quoting for a new job. Ask the frequency, walk the job, agree which windows are to be cleaned and ask HOW WILL PAYMENT BE MADE!.

This generally sorts it out from the start.
;D
there I was thinking I had everything covered,
a couple of weeks ago I bought a new tyre for the van, I asked how much it would be and when I booked it in to be fitted I paid them there and then when I collected it. I thought that was the way we did things these days.

martinsadie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 07:59:05 pm »
Dont see what your problem is if he says he will pay at the weekend,not everyone has cash when you do the job,collecting is just another aspect of the job ,not worth losing the customer if he pays you  ;D

cybersye

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 08:56:31 pm »
Dont see what your problem is if he says he will pay at the weekend,not everyone has cash when you do the job,collecting is just another aspect of the job ,not worth losing the customer if he pays you  ;D
I agree with you to a point Stan
but this was a new customer, they had called me, I've been accomadating by arranging a time at their convenience to quote and followed up by a day and time to clean at their convenience even a courtesy call to notify them I was on my way. They both work , have nice cars, plasma telly etc. afford a better lifestyle than myself ( I'm starting to sound bitter ). For the princely sum of £15, then expect me to go and collect again at their convenience on a weekend. These people had 24 hours notice of the windows being cleaned and knew the price.
WHAT PLANET ARE SOME PEOPLE ON ?

got that off my chest, my rants over  :D

tonyoliver

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 09:12:31 pm »
you are only the window cleaner

you are like waiters maids and skivvys invisible and unimportant you have no thoughts and feelings. you are unimportant how very dare you expect payment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peter holley

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 09:17:02 pm »

No you don’t see the problem, do you Stan.   ;D

peter holley

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 09:18:19 pm »

lol

NWH

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 09:19:22 pm »
It wouldn`t have bothered me either i would have said send me a cheque if he-she wanted,i don`t collect though ever.

cybersye

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 09:26:10 pm »
"I dont have a cheque book" he says "can you drop by on a weekend to collect it?"

Window Washers

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 09:37:08 pm »
I would have siad thats fine, you can either post a postal order, pay at the post office into our bank, or pay direct at the bank, sorry will do not offer a collection service, if we did we would have to charge extra for it. ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

cybersye

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 09:52:44 pm »
I would have siad thats fine, you can either post a postal order, pay at the post office into our bank, or pay direct at the bank, sorry will do not offer a collection service, if we did we would have to charge extra for it. ;)
I doubt someone who cant even show the consideration to scrape together £15 with 24 hours notice at THEIR request to have windows cleaned is going to bother to get off their lazy backsides and que at a post office to arrange a payment. Sod em, I'll get my money and bid em farewell.

Window Washers

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 09:56:22 pm »
I doubt someone who cant even show the consideration to scrape together £15 with 24 hours notice at THEIR request to have windows cleaned is going to bother to get off their lazy backsides and que at a post office to arrange a payment. Sod em, I'll get my money and bid em farewell.
I would bill them a late payment fee, I am not that worried about £15, the guy could well have forgot thats all, now if he does it again then fair enough he could well have other things on his mind apart from getting money for some that cleans his windows, his kid could have been sick anything who knows, you could well lose out on a loyal customer, but hay its up to you what you do fella as it is your business not mine or anyone elses so you do what you think is right, but I would say look at both sides of the coin first  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 10:43:00 pm »
Profitable customers are the best, not loyal and especially not customers that think they can take more of your time and because they pay a few pounds. 
correction loyal profitable customers are the best ;)

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 07:06:42 am »
When you take on new customers you are always going to get this, is all part of the refinement of your round, but educate them as well, they may have been used to pssing there last window cleaner about like that. Tell them if you have to come out twice once to do the job and them once to collect you loss money. They have cheek letting you do them then saying they don’t have money, really that what they should have done when they seen you pull up. I had one like this the other week and said I would collect next time, but I will knock the door first, before I start.

I had another one a while ago and let it go longer than I should, I had them in on say Fri and did there windows, every time they were in and never had money, not been to the bank sorry, can you pop up on Sunday. Now on Sundays I go and visit my mum and passed there house pretty much so said ok, but after the third time I just felt they were taking liberties, and wasting time I spend with my family, so I dropped them. my mum has a dog that would learn the routine faster, its easy put money in a tub and leave it there, you don’t have to run to the bank every time, an hour before I arrive, just be prepared.

This I think is where I love old dears, they might be generally cheep and stuck on what you got for your money 50 years ago, but they are seldom out, always pay no problem, and I have had tons of referrals generally from old dears. You do one and its like a club, they phone round there bingo pals in the area, and you end up with about 10 custies off that one.

The good with the bad!

So chin up

peter holley

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 08:11:53 am »
i used to do one that would come to the door and ask for an envelope as she didnt have time to write a check there and then ....same thing for three months in row!!!

personaly i find this just plain rude....as she is a hairdresser i would imagine she had plenty of cash in the house anyway.....now if it happened once i can understand , but when it becomes everymonth it becomes a liberty.
out of principal i dumoped her. and then i used my angry energy to go door knocking and replaced her with more new good paying ones ;D

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 08:36:28 am »
When you take on new customers you are always going to get this, is all part of the refinement of your round, but educate them as well, they may have been used to pssing there last window cleaner about like that. Tell them if you have to come out twice once to do the job and them once to collect you loss money. They have cheek letting you do them then saying they don’t have money, really that what they should have done when they seen you pull up. I had one like this the other week and said I would collect next time, but I will knock the door first, before I start.

I had another one a while ago and let it go longer than I should, I had them in on say Fri and did there windows, every time they were in and never had money, not been to the bank sorry, can you pop up on Sunday. Now on Sundays I go and visit my mum and passed there house pretty much so said ok, but after the third time I just felt they were taking liberties, and wasting time I spend with my family, so I dropped them. my mum has a dog that would learn the routine faster, its easy put money in a tub and leave it there, you don’t have to run to the bank every time, an hour before I arrive, just be prepared.

This I think is where I love old dears, they might be generally cheep and stuck on what you got for your money 50 years ago, but they are seldom out, always pay no problem, and I have had tons of referrals generally from old dears. You do one and its like a club, they phone round there bingo pals in the area, and you end up with about 10 custies off that one.

The good with the bad!

So chin up

Good post.

martinsadie

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 03:02:49 pm »

i dont see the point in most of your posts either Ewan