AuRavelling79

A question re: Gardiner Extremes for every day use.
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:24:00 am »
OK, Dan the Man and I use SLX22 (5 section, shorter closed length) and an "SLX20" (4 section, longer closed length) for every day use.

We also have an extreme 47 set up as a 35 for general higher stuff which only comes out the van a couple of times a week.

Here's the question ... the extreme you either extend fully or half way (forgetting the extra stop on the very bottom section), yes? So if you had an extreme for everyday use say 22 or 25 how does it stack up against the infinite length adjustment of the SLX?

Is it so much lighter that it's a no brainer?
Does lack of infinite length adjustment on an extreme for everyday use(having end and middle stops only) hinder you? Especially on the sides of houses where you are in a narrow walkway.
It's a game of three halves!

♠Winp®oClean♠

Re: A question re: Gardiner Extremes for every day use.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:34:25 am »
As far as I'm aware Goldilocks the shorter Xtreme pole i.e. shorter than your 47 have shorter sections to begin with. They are a shorter, more compact pole & may even have extra clamping points too- although I'm not 100% on that bit.

So, using an Xtreme 25 would be a different experience to using your Xtreme 47 with some sections removed. ;)

bobplum

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 10:41:20 am »
Why not just break down the extreme pole to a desirable length and use it for a week or two, this is what i do with my slx35 and you can decide if its worth investing in the extreme range as a everyday pole

Tony dunmall

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:54:05 am »
Never found the lack of adjustment to be a problem, actually found that it's less repetitive over the coarse of a day as you need to stand in different positions as you have to change your position and angle more on different windows 

The multiple adjustments available on other poles I found I would set the pole always adopting a similar position never good for the body

Good idea to break down the 47 and see how you get on, before spending and deciding it's not for you

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 10:57:10 am »
The extreme pole is quicker to extend. As the only bits that slow the pole down are the top,middle and bottom sections.

So basically i whizz the pole to the end stop and clamp.

I never ever think god i wish i could have 10 less inches on this window.

if anything its helps with neck pain, as it promotes standing back from the glass more and needing a less acute angle for neck.

JackieW

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 11:20:12 am »
I have used SLX22 and SLX 25 Extreme.

I much prefer the closed length of the 22. That's about it in favour of the SLX22.

However, the weight difference is very noticeable to me. And I'm one of the idiots who dares to put an Aquadapter on the top too. :)

I much prefer using the Extreme 25.

The halfway or fully extended positioning of the Extreme took a little to get used to, as in a week.

Now I find it's actually quicker as it's a choice of halfway or fully open, as opposed to infinite choice.

It is quicker to extend.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 11:37:21 am »
Thanks chaps;

It's a no brainer on the dropping the 47/35 to 25 and having a go so I'll do that. That's how I ended up with an SLX20 by dropping away the two larger sections of my original SLX30 when I got the SLX 47.

I do like the shorter working length of the SLX22 over the "SLX20" but it feels markedly heavier as it has five sections.

Looking on the Gardiners site it seems the extreme 18 only has top and bottom stops unlike the 25's middle one; but with an extension to 22 it is only 30g lighter than a 25. 

Maybe a pair of Extreme 18's at 720gm is the way to go and just use my present poles on properties that need a bit of extra length?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 12:47:54 pm »
Thanks chaps;

It's a no brainer on the dropping the 47/35 to 25 and having a go so I'll do that. That's how I ended up with an SLX20 by dropping away the two larger sections of my original SLX30 when I got the SLX 47.

I do like the shorter working length of the SLX22 over the "SLX20" but it feels markedly heavier as it has five sections.

Looking on the Gardiners site it seems the extreme 18 only has top and bottom stops unlike the 25's middle one; but with an extension to 22 it is only 30g lighter than a 25. 

Maybe a pair of Extreme 18's at 720gm is the way to go and just use my present poles on properties that need a bit of extra length?

Hi Gold

The video is slightly out of date and the Xtreme18s now do also have halfway adjustment points on each section.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 12:59:31 pm »
Thanks Alex, that might make a difference, maybe extreme 18's are the way ... as you can't sell any because the 25 is too good is there an offer?

;D ;D ;D

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 01:07:37 pm »
Thanks Alex, that might make a difference, maybe extreme 18's are the way ... as you can't sell any because the 25 is too good is there an offer?

;D ;D ;D

I have put a note on the video to reflect this.

There are no offers on the poles at the moment (apart from free gooseneck and free brush) as they are about as lean as we can be on pricing  :(

The Xtreme18 poles do sell better than I ever imagined (still very small numbers) despite their high manufacturing cost. I personally only ever had them made for our own window cleaning firms use and did not really expect anyone to want to afford the cost of them when an Xtreme25 is not that much more money.

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 04:29:31 pm »
Malc, order a reisineck swivel at the same time then you'll have no problems in confined spaces. It's only about a tenner, brilliant bit of kit.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 06:46:41 pm »
you soon get used to the half way clamping points.i use my extreme 25 day in/day out on most work since i bought it last july.

then my extreme 47 for anything higher than 25 ft.

i use an aqua-daptor on the 25 and a pole hose tap on the 47.

the 25 is as close to a perfect pole as your ever gonna get.very fast in operation and a breeze on awkward windows! ;)
price higher/work harder!

KS Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:54:03 pm »
Thanks chaps;

Think I got one of the first Extreme 18's that has mid way clamping, superb pole and anything it disny reach the employee gets with the SLX25. After you have used the Extreme 18 you will wonder how you ever managed with the SLX22 ;D