carpetdoctor

Vac Issues and other questions
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:16:37 am »
 ;D

Hi gang,

Today one of my vac motors went in my steempro 2000 booo, but do not despare cos i have a prochem cherokee.
can i replace the vac from my steempro with the cherokee one.

And can anyone recommend me a smaller machine. And finally what's all this about leasing a machine and is it worthwhile ?

thanks again guys

anthony

carpet doctor 8)

Ken Wainwright

Re: Vac Issues and other questions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 12:22:58 pm »
Hi Anthony

I'm working from memory and, as I'm not too familiar with the modern Prochem range, you'll need to check on my knowledge.

The Prochem Steempro 2000 range had upto two x 3 stage vacuum motors mounted in series. A colleague had the motors in his Steempro upgraded to a higher spec, so this suggests that there are different motors available.

The Cherokee is an older machine and I can't remember if this was the one with two stage or three stage vacuums, again mounted in series.

With series mounted vacs, it's the "front" motor that has the shortest life as it's working at max rpm for 100% of the time. The second or "rear" motor is the one that changes rpm/pitch during use and tends to have a longer service life.

I wouldn't recommend transfering a vac from one machine to the other as you will loose your back-up machine. But, if circumstances dictate that you must do this, you'll need to check the specs of the motor. In the absence of details, presuming they are all the same manufacturer, Amteck/Lamb, the transfered  motor must have the same dimensions for the fan cannister (ie 2 stage or 3 stage and 5.7" diameter (likely) or 7.2" diameter (unlikely)) and the measured height of the motor section needs to be the same (this will relate to the motor power, eg 1200 or 1400 watts). If the motor/vacs are not identical, I would not advise changing one for the other as their will be an imbalance.

What do you mean by a smaller machine? If you are looking for a small physical size but with a similar performance to your Steempro, I like the Alltec Aqua 40. It has small dimensions but  in it's highest spec will perform above it's weight.

If you are looking for a spotting machine, I like the Cross American Mitey One Hybrid Turbo. It is a three in one machine that can be used as a spotter, a small back-up machine capable of  cleaning a whole room, or as an in-line vac booster to give you more cfm's.

For a dedicated spotter, the Prochem option is a solid performer.

Obviously, there are many other worthwhile machine options available.

As for leasing, I have always preferred an outright purchase financed from savings, a personal loan or a small business loan. It may be wise to consult your accountant over which option will be best for your own particular needs. My concerns about leasing for a one-man business is the repayments should you fall ill, have an accident or loose your driving license. With a purchasing finance deal (but not HP) you can always sell the equipment should the brown stuff hit the fan. Many years ago, a local carpet retailer lost his license for drink-driving. His Jag was parked on his drive for a year but he couldn't get out of the agreement so had to keep up the lease payments. Ouch :'(

Safe and happy cleaning :)
The Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:47:05 pm »
Does anyone know if its ok to only run one vac on a job, with a two vac in series setup??

fitz2kleen

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:50:35 pm »
I have 2 prochem 'powermates'[1 for sale] and I baught 2 italian 3 stage motors for one as i wasnt happy with the draw on it, yes they are in tandum and I did have to slightly modify to fit but nothing major they work brilliant.
I do still have a couple of 1 stage motors in stock that I baught to replace the old ones, they work fine on a single pipe but add to it and you can tell the difference as the draw is reduced quite a lot [ thats technical for as powerful as a wet fart ].
I swear by my porties but If I had the type of work to warranted a truck mount id prolly go in that direction but keep a portie 4 the awkward jobbies.
I also have another prochem portie for drawing sewage.
Regards Marc

fitz2kleen

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:53:13 pm »
Hi adam,

If you havent already tried it I wouldnt advise on doing so.
If the vacs run in tandum and the front mopters blown u will cause undue stress to the back motor which in turn will prolly blow.
re my last post I do have a set of motors that I took off when I upgraded my machines motors.