clairuk

General Extraction Machine Questions/Advice
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:03:03 pm »
Hi all..... I hope business is doing well??

I hope those that read this topic will find it useful in the future and anyone who can add advice will be much appreciated....

For anyone that has seen my recent posts they will be well aware i have been seeking (and now purchased) our first carpet cleaning machine to add-on to our existing domestic cleaning business.

Like others this has become a more common request during end of tenancy cleans, spring cleans etc and after using the Rug Doctor ::) ( i know) ::) we decided to go for a real machine!!

We now have a Nilfisk 307H MX hot water extraction machine complete with 4.5m hose & evolution wand (£800 in all). Its has a set onboard, 100 degree heater, single vac and i have now obtained a stainless detailer or handtool from ebay for £65 new (really good) as Nilfisk want £270+vat!! :o

After testing a standard extraction shampoo (£7 for 5Ltrs 20:1) from our local cleaning supplies and not being to impressed i decided to look around..... and from reading on this forum and i have now ordered..

Prochem Double Clean
Prochem Power Burst
Prochem Powdered Defoamer
Prochem Liquid Woolsafe

The above seem highly recommended and i understand there is more to get!!

Please can anyone suggest or reccomend more chemical i need???
I understand there are spot treatments available, are there any recommendations?

As mentioned i have practised at home using heat, but im a little dubious on using heat on everything, and im sure someone can give advice on that aswell :)

I shall be cleaning a few family members carpets in the next few weeks for free and to practice or gain experience.

Im sure i will be told by other forum members to go on a Prochem course, (rightly so) but until children go to school sept and other work commitments are seen too, its not possible, this side of christmas.

Any advice on next items to get, using heat on certain carpets and when not too use heat???

More questions to follow and i will try and keep this topic alive/updated with progress

Thanks in advance for any advice.......

AshWhite

Re: General Extraction Machine Questions/Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 08:32:51 am »
One of the best investments I made was a Prochem spotting kit. It's a bit steep but I use it on almost every job (plus the carry case is handy for other bits as well)

Cheapest I found was Cleanstore I think http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Product.asp?ID=2292&?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=comparsionshopping

Others will disagree, but I've found that a machine to agitate got me much better results than agitating with a sweeping brush, I bought a Sebo Duo which is good for domestic jobs. They can be had for around £100 used, often advertised on here.

Also, are you going to be cleaning upholstery? If so you'll need another attachment, and probably different chemicals.

Basically, you'll probably find (as I did) that you've just opened a HUGE can of worms - it's possible to spend spend spend, but of course a lot of these things are to make the job easier, and in no way compulsory.

All the best,

Ash
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

clairuk

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:50:16 am »
Hi Ash,

Thank you for the info!

You are completely right about opening a can of worms and i`m expecting a call from the bank manager, once he`s picked himself up off the floor  ;D

The spotting kit looks good and will be considered next week.... Thanks for that one!

What are your thoughts on a carpet dryer (blower) and how far up the list should that be placed??

Thanks again

AshWhite

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:34:53 am »
I've only used mine on an upholstery job so far. Don't find it works fast enough to make a difference on carpets (not in this weather anyway). Plus its more room in the van without it.
That said, I'm using a TM so the carpets aren't exactly soaking when I've finished.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

StreakFree

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:23:29 pm »
As a home owner I am wondering what the best machine is to clean my carpets? Is it the stand alone machine or the truck mounted machine. I will be looking for a carpet cleaning contractor and want to know what questions to ask about their equipment.
San Jose carpet cleaners contains a listing of local carpet cleaners.

robert meldrum

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:25:46 am »
S F .............

There is no BEST MACHINE for cleaning carpets. A dedicated user of a single vacuum / 135 psi machine using an inexpensive powder chemical can achieve as good or even better results than another who uses a £20 k truckmount with the " latest " chemicals.

Bryan Griffith

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:11:46 pm »
Having read the posts i would say to any new start up, its not about the machine , its more about experience. someone who purchases a very expensive machine/truck mount will cause as much damage as jo bloggs with a supermarket hire job.  no one has mentioned insurance or training courses.
I am the first to say do not be afraid of starting your own business but make sure you know the risks. carpets and upholstery are two of the most expensive items a home owner purchases and therefore, they are prized items.
Could you as a new start up stand a claim for new carpets or a new suite if your cleaning goes wrong? Do you know the difference between a Sizel carpet and a wool one? will a Belgian Wilton shrink if wet cleaned? if you can not answer these questions leave the cleaning and get yourself on a course.