Marc1867

Hi, thinking about a carpet cleaning business
« on: October 25, 2010, 08:24:38 pm »
Hi all, first post.

As the title says - my brother and are thinking about starting a carpet cleaning business. My brother has experience in this as he did it as a side-job but didn't really try to push it as it wasn't his primary income so was just happy with any carpet cleaning jobs that came his way.

I'd like to hear from those of you who have your own carpet cleaning business; how difficult you found it, whether you think you made the right choice in doing this, how long it took for it to really get going. Those of you who have made a success of it, what kind of money are you earning? (if that's not too cheeky to ask ;) )

And those of you who are struggling, do you see it getting any better?

And if you have any advice you'd like to give, I'd love to hear it.

I've searched the forum but haven't really found any answers to these questions.

Thank you for reading (fingers crossed for some help/replies)

Simon@arenaclean

Re: Hi, thinking about a carpet cleaning business
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:48:41 am »
you will get a better response if you post in the carpet cleaning issues thread above, more people view that forum.

Basics

Sadly a lot of folk think there is a pot off gold at the end of the carpet cleaning rainbow. The reality is it's a long term development business and totally depends on the ability of the operator to do a good job and gain referals whilst also being focused enough to develop a marketing strategy to find the customers in the first place. It's a continuous process for a couple of years until momentum and returning customers start to pay off. I started with a £8000 budget nearly 20 years ago but it would take more than that now.

As a minimum you will need the following.

Training. Machine supplier often offer free training with their machines. National carpet Cleaners Association. Various courses around. £0 - £300. You would be wise to get some insurance too.

Be prepared to spend between £1000 - £3000 for a decent machine. Restormate, Cleansmart, Alltec, Ashby's, Extracta & Prochem can supply various twin vac machines. Alltec, Solutions (cornwall) & Cleansmart can help with tripple vac 500psi + machines. There are often machines for sale on here in the for sale section or you could take a look on ebay. After that hand tools, hoses, chemicals, etc. £500 - £1000, and don't forget you will need a van too.

Marketing and sustainability. You will need a good marketing budget and enough cash for 1 - 2 years as a back up to sustain through lean times. I probably would not start now if I had secure(ish) income or a job it can be hard going. But if do choose to go ahead doing an excellent job so customers refer you is a good way to start.

Do a search for 'what machine' or 'starting a carpet cleaning business' lots of threads.

Marc1867

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:10:23 pm »
Thank you Simon, I appreciate your time.

I'll post this in the other forum then

Helpful post, thanks again.

David Taylor

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:06:46 am »
I started doing it as an add on to my existing business and offered a discount when they took the service with our cleaning packages. I just bought a small Karcher to start and it has done me well. Yes it is alot of hard work, but it's worth it ;)

gwrightson

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 03:26:30 pm »

I BET ITS BLOODY HARD WORK  David   ;)  hard enough and the mind boggles using a karcher .
I started doing it as an add on to my existing business and offered a discount when they took the service with our cleaning packages. I just bought a small Karcher to start and it has done me well. Yes it is alot of hard work, but it's worth it ;)

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

David Taylor

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 06:35:06 pm »
TBH I don't have alot of experience with other machines, it took me awhile to get used to using the Karcher but I was impressed at the results it gave. If you check out my website you can see it in action.

I think I might upgrage to the Puzzi 200 it has an extra motor on it. Mind, some hardwearing carpets are hard to clean using this machine, one with brushes is probably better.

I BET ITS BLOODY HARD WORK  David   ;)  hard enough and the mind boggles using a karcher .

geoff

Justine Hughes

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 12:12:13 pm »
Hi there! Starting a business is not easy. Make sure you got that passion on your business. Check the demand for market and see if the people around you are possible customers. As for the finances, you have to check what options do you have. Do you need to lend for you to raise an amount enough for the capital?

Carpet Cleaning in Grand Rapids MI