Stoots

So I thought I would work today
« on: August 26, 2019, 10:02:03 am »
Never worked a bank holiday before but going away next week so decided it would be a good idea to get some work today.

Well, I've never felt so awkward in my life  ;D

Everyone is in bed lol. Not seen anyone about, loads of cars on drives, curtains shut and windows open.

I've had two locked gates that I couldn't get in and had someone told me he didn't really appreciate me cleaning his windows at 9 o clock on a bank holiday as just work him up.

Now I know why I have never worked them and I won't be doing it again in a hurry

I started at 8 :15 and have decided to call it a day it's not for me this bank holiday lark.

Shrek

Re: So I thought I would work today
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 10:11:00 am »
Lesson learnt  ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:18:54 am »
I need to work a couple of hours today, to keep my rounds in order due to family health issues.
Over the many years ive worked a number of bank holidays but ive never started before 10.  ;D i need a lay in never mind the customers.

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Edge Clean

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 10:45:48 am »
Yer customers are a weird lot south of the border.

We work every bank/public holiday and have never had any problems.

Most folk in jobs seem to work bank holidays these days, so why not us?

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 12:09:18 pm »
Yer customers are a weird lot south of the border.

We work every bank/public holiday and have never had any problems.

Most folk in jobs seem to work bank holidays these days, so why not us?

When i was employed, i would get either time n half or double pay for working bank holidays. Lol so one major difference.
The second, is the advantage of being a self employed as a sole trader, being able to choose to work these days or not.  Mostly I for one, would prefer spending such a great sunny day as today, with my family rather than working. Unfortunately this time round, i need to work a hand ful of hours
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

tlwcs

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 12:32:34 pm »
Never worked a bank holiday before but going away next week so decided it would be a good idea to get some work today.

Well, I've never felt so awkward in my life  ;D

Everyone is in bed lol. Not seen anyone about, loads of cars on drives, curtains shut and windows open.

I've had two locked gates that I couldn't get in and had someone told me he didn't really appreciate me cleaning his windows at 9 o clock on a bank holiday as just work him up.

Now I know why I have never worked them and I won't be doing it again in a hurry

I started at 8 :15 and have decided to call it a day it's not for me this bank holiday lark.

8.15 on a bank holiday and just turning up ☹️ No wonder you weren’t well received.
There’s always tomorrow, have a couple of beers and enjoy the sunshine
Tony

Dave Willis

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 01:01:48 pm »
I’d rather spend the day on my phone reading about window cleaners than enjoy the weather and family.  ;D

zesty

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 01:23:14 pm »
Did a quick £45 while the wife was getting up and ready.

Usually do a bit on a bank holiday, more to get me moving than anything else.

I’m a man of routine, feel sluggish when not up and working!

P @ F

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 01:43:08 pm »
My office view today , rarely do a BH but nobody in bed here .
What did my head in was I went to open the back doors and the mechanism cable snapped, took me half an hour to strip the locks out and get it open  :'(

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 03:21:23 pm »
I'd start no earlier than 10 am unless prearranged.

Don't work bank holidays as a rule.
It's a game of three halves!

Stoots

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 03:46:23 pm »
Yeh 10am would have been a better time to start.

However it seems a bit pointless starting at that time as you've wasted half the day so best policy is to just to not work them I think.

Jon_Phelps

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 04:07:43 pm »
Don't mind doing commercial on a Bank Holiday when its convenient for me, I worked a few hours this morning. 

I have done half a dozen houses before.....Once....and all pre-arranged.  Gave them the option as I was running out of time before a holiday and they all said yes.  But given the choice I'd have happily missed them until the next clean.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 04:12:35 pm »
I've never had a issue working a BH  myself     I usually work them but I've been working 6 days a week for last few months so I had a well deserved day off today.

robbo333

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 04:21:27 pm »
Mrs window cleaner was working this morning (she's a carer), so I thought I'd do a few hours today.

I'm behind on my regular work (only a bit), plus i've got a whiteboard in my office with a list of extras and bits and bobs, so I've ticked a few off today.

Had three days off last week (lovely long weekend in Bath) and a complete chill day yesterday, boat trip round the Jurassic coast, followed by a nice lunch out, drinks, taxis and a chilled afternoon.

Not terrible  ;D

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

robbo333

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 04:26:28 pm »
I've never had a issue working a BH  myself     I usually work them but I've been working 6 days a week for last few months so I had a well deserved day off today.

SB
May I say, I have seen some of your patio and driveway cleaning work in the 'General Section'.
Very nice work indeed.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Plankton

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 04:54:13 pm »
My guy was hitting out with this bank holiday weekend stuff last Thursday thinking he was getting a long weekend off! Naw it's only down south mate...  ;D ;D ;D

SB Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 06:03:53 pm »

SB
May I say, I have seen some of your patio and driveway cleaning work in the 'General Section'.
Very nice work indeed.
Thanks mate

That's why I have been working Saturdays last few months do all the PW at weekends so I dont get behind on windows.

Ooooooog

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 07:23:46 pm »
Bit rude turning up on a bank holiday innit?

Johnny B

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2019, 08:10:57 pm »
I used to work most bank holidays when I was in the UK. I was in Kent, but I never used to start before 10:30 and never had a problem or got sent away.

Here in Ireland I tried the same when I started up here. It very quickly became obvious that it's not the done thing here without prior arrangement! I may do the odd one now and again, usually gutter cleans rather than windows, but I have come to appreciate having a bit of time off!

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Stoots

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 07:40:27 am »
Bit rude turning up on a bank holiday innit?

Exactly what i have always thought to be honest

I did text them all though so it's not like they didn't know I was coming but it still felt wrong.