reflection

Insulate the van ?
« on: January 17, 2021, 09:26:51 pm »
I’m currently getting my van prepped to have a system fitted took all plylinning out and  protectacoted the floor.

I’m just thinking do any of you put insulation behind the walls of the plylinning or even the roof.

NWH

Re: Insulate the van ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 09:52:13 pm »
If I was going cold all over again I’d use a pump box that was insulated next to the hose that’s what freezes up next,I wouldn’t ply line I’d get a carpet fitter to line all the sides inside.
Don’t forget the floors  on vans are wafer thin a lot of the time that’s where the cold gets in.

RPCCS

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 10:13:13 pm »
I just put an electric heater in the back of the van overnight on the lowest setting. It’s thermostatically controlled so switches off and on as necessary. Saves having to insulate pipes and sides etc. You can get them from Argos  for about £20..
Cheers Rich

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 10:28:43 pm »
waterproof the floor - thats it

I wouldn't turn into a shag wagon like Nigel suggests - its a work van

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 11:18:51 pm »
Lol yeah keep the sound of screaming out 🤣

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 12:06:36 pm »
Depends on your situation. If you're street parked and can't run leccy out to it for a heater it maybe a good idea. A system ? does that include ro and filters ? I've a static system in my garage so only tank/reel/pump on board. Although I could put a heater in overnight I don't bother ( south coast and my tanks never frozen in 15 years ). However I've built a pump box as NWH suggested - houses battery, charger, pump and controller. I have the option of quickly removing it on freezing nights or simply chucking a duvet or similar insulation over it and my fixed powered reel. Insulating the whole van seems a lot of trouble to go to unless it's really needed.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 12:57:41 pm »
I insulated the inside if the roof in my vivaros. Siliconed sheets of polystyrene between the rails.. Stops the condensation. Probably helps keep the heat in slightly from oil filled rad also.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 02:52:55 pm »
Use a pump box empty the hose out take the box indoors you are giving yourself a good chance of no freezing 🥶,you’d have to be working at the North Pole to get in trouble then.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 03:23:49 pm »
Is easier to connect up to an oil filled rad for me. No disconnecting hoses etc or water in the van.

Steve H

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 09:44:16 pm »
yeh, oil filled radiator for me if needed, I also put towels over my pump and controller to keep the frost off.  Dont bother covering battery (leisure battery) as it should be fine, same as the van battery really, that doesnt seem to freeze up. Could always chuck a towel over that as well if you felt the need.
If you reach for the stars and only reach the moon, you will have acheived more than you thought you could.

reflection

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 09:58:12 pm »
Thanks for the advice it’s just what I thought anyway just thought I would ask while I was doing it.
Full ro/di system fitted in the van.
I had thought is there much point insulating the walls or roof when the floor isn’t being insulated.

What about roof vents do they help keep condensation out

Ched

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 10:17:54 pm »
Thanks for the advice it’s just what I thought anyway just thought I would ask while I was doing it.
Full ro/di system fitted in the van.
I had thought is there much point insulating the walls or roof when the floor isn’t being insulated.

What about roof vents do they help keep condensation out
Condensation forms when warm moisture laden air hits a cold surface i.e. the roof inside! The water then condenses out of the air! You can basically do 2 things to stop condensation.
1. eliminate warm air through very good ventilation.
2. Stop  the warm air coming to contact with a cold surface - i.e. insulate the interior.

Personally I would buy some 25mm polystyrene sheet and silicone it to the roof of the van and use something like EarthWool insulation bats behind any ply and then seal the ply to the van body with ali tape. That way you will reduce the amount of condensation as there is less cold metal that the air can come into contact with.

Smudger

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 10:43:30 pm »
You can't do all that the van will implode/explode - well according to yo da man Nigel  ;D

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 11:28:53 pm »
The safest thing to do is to get an L5 heater and just leave it on all night in the van,the best thing to do would be to nick a small hole in the gas pipe open the van first thing in the morning and light a blow lamp 🤣🤣🤣 🔥 🔥

P @ F

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 12:36:06 pm »
Well I just bought some insulation wrap for my heater pipes that is fire retardant.
Thought I would test it before fitting it up and guess what  ?

It caught fire in my kitchen  :o
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

CleanClear

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 01:17:42 pm »
Well I just bought some insulation wrap for my heater pipes that is fire retardant.
Thought I would test it before fitting it up and guess what  ?

It caught fire in my kitchen  :o

How much did it retard the fire ? And what did you use as your start measure ?
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 02:02:02 pm »
It didn’t retard the fire and I used a lighter  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 02:05:21 pm »
And I bet retardant isn’t the same as proof thinking about it  ;D

WaxONwaxOFF

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 04:48:21 pm »
Insulate all cavities, add vapour barrier under lining kit (including roof linings).

Lining kits that cover roof/sides/floor come in different materials, Polypropylene, recyclable plastics, timber etc.

Get interior sprayed with line-x.

Diesel heaters, plumb into fuel line and set temp via thermostat.

There are all sorts of options, depends on budget etc.

RPCCS

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 10:32:42 pm »
As I said earlier a cheap electric fan heater from Argos for about 20/30 quid will suffice,  like this

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9200399?clickSR=slp:term:fan%20heater:5:228:1
Cheers Rich