Mr. S

Re: Two tips I'd like to share.
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 06:08:17 pm »
Dont give it a bash might, if u break windows you'll have to replace em ;D

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 06:26:40 pm »
1 : Stop using Unger rubber, and get Ettore rubber

2 : Stop using Fairy liquid and start using a professional substance. (Ettore Squeegee off, Glass Gleam 3 or Glass Gleam 4)

- After trying out Ettore rubber after using Unger for quite some time, I can only say : Dump Unger, Ettore rubber is SO much better, it really makes a huge difference. Minimal pressure on Ettore rubber, and with Unger I always used to get a film/tiny trails, no matter what the pressure or base distance was. Maybe it was the bulk 36" packet that was a bit rubbish, but then many many more packets would be like that.

- After using Fairy liquid for a long time, I tried using Squeegee off, the difference is again remarkable, Fairy liquid just doesn't shine the windows properly, the 'leave your windows sparkling' is very true, and quite a few customers commented how shiney/sparkling their windows looked. You can get Squeegee off at any B&Q, which is only a couple of quid, and you only need 4 teasp0ons a bucket! (8ltr)

Just two things that I've picked up since I've started.

Why don't you give Ettore a go? I did and I was really amazed with the difference! I just thought it was just a load of rubbish and it didn't matter much what rubber you use (and no I'm not an Ettore salesperson haha ;D )

You got nothing to lose anyway  :)

Window Cleaning Warehouse has free shipping atm, 10x 14" Rubber is £12.50

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk

have you got shares in etore? ???
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

dai

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 06:47:56 pm »
Just a cheapie washing up liquid and a dash of dishwasher rinse aid does the job for me. Used it for the last couple of years. Try it.  Dai

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 07:12:18 pm »
A clean window is a ruddy clean window and no-one can argue with one of those.
Hooray!

Tosh, you made un-biased sense! :D

I tried vinegar mate.
Useful for insides of nicotine stained pubs.
Useless and smelly elsewhere. :-\

You lose the glide big time. :o

Templar

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 07:26:57 pm »
I thought Simon Knight dealt with the wfp chauvanists brilliantly. They did interupt the topic, but it was worth it to see them bladed off by a perfect  S stroke.

I wondered about dishwasher rinse aid, they do big tubs at a wholesaler I go to , has anyone tried this or does any one (a graduate maybe) now anything about the science involved?

It's got something to do with reducing surface tension hasn't it?

chrismroberts

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 08:32:21 pm »
Sorry, it was sarcasm, my skin doesn't seem to like Fairy liquid, and every night I had to use hand cream because they were cracked and bleeding, I have it way less with squeegee off. :)

*my mother has the same problem, might be allergy? or just sensitive hands I guess.

I know what you mean, my hands dont react that badly... but, at the risk of sounding a bit girly LOL, they do dry out really quickly! I use Persil, not Fairy, but I guess the chemicals are the same?

edd

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 09:30:40 pm »
i use Evans neutral hard surface cleaner £4.00 for 5ltrs its just excellent
and a bit of tfr for inside pubs etc I've cleaned windows for 28 years but find Ettore rubbers good probably better than most but we highly recommend vileda professional soft rubber. its been used for the last ten or so years when it first came out they said it would last 100% longer than anything else and i thought
oh yeah heard it all before but after 1 free sample its been used ever since it does last a lot longer i agree
  We do all upstairs wfp and downs trad ,bytheway clean tech sell vileda stuff
hope this helps fairy does kill our hands to whereas the Evans stuff doesnt
foam up a lot so its quicker to wipe down which means more money in the bank?

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2006, 09:34:24 pm »
fairy is kind on your hands :-* :-*

edd

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2006, 09:39:27 pm »
i dont think making them bleed and crack is kind ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
 :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2006, 09:41:03 pm »
some thing wrong with your hands then

edd

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006, 09:41:45 pm »
cherubs how long have you been cleaning windows??

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2006, 09:47:55 pm »
9 years with no props :)

EasyClean

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2006, 10:12:19 pm »
Fairy liquid is great for cleaning the windows, collecting your money and knowing that the next visit the windows will be looking dirty and require your services again for which your customers will be grateful for.
My tip is: when you have customers who are reluctant to have their windows cleaned so frequently and are considering less frequent washes what you could do is double, tripple or quadruple the amount of fairy liquid you add to your water so that the windows attract the dirt much quicker than previously and then the customers would require your services more often! Also the more fairy in the water, the more skin it leaves on the glass and after a couple of washes you'll find that you can blade the glass faster than normal, NOT that I've ever done any of the above, (Pinnochio)
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

pjulk

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2006, 11:44:27 pm »
Tosh Said
With regards to Unger liquid, gg3/gg4, squeegie off and the rest; don't you think we all go through a phase of trying different window cleaning detergents, and then once we're bored with that, we go back to good old Fairy 'green stuff

I went back to fairy a couple of weeks ago as i used to swear by it.
But after a couple of hours i went back to squeegie off which i have been using for over a year now.
I now think that squeegie off is much better than fairy loads of bubbles great slip and a nice shine.
What more could i want

Paul

macmac

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 11:57:25 am »
i find gg3 crap on its own, but add a wee drop of fairy into the bucket and its much easier to work with, i just cant get enough slip with gg3 on its own, so it tends to leave marks where i turn the squeegee. adding a drop of fairy makes rubber glide so much more and gives a little foam too (to see where you've been) but not too much as to make it a nightmare to mop up all the time. always used pulex standard for rubber.

anyone else do this???? :)

Ian_Giles

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 12:06:38 pm »
Any reply with WFP in has been deleted.

Trad thread. keep it that way please.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

WavieDavie

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 12:24:17 pm »
i find gg3 crap on its own, but add a wee drop of fairy into the bucket and its much easier to work with, i just cant get enough slip with gg3 on its own, so it tends to leave marks where i turn the squeegee. adding a drop of fairy makes rubber glide so much more and gives a little foam too (to see where you've been) but not too much as to make it a nightmare to mop up all the time. always used pulex standard for rubber.

anyone else do this???? :)

GG3, Ecover http://tinyurl.com/y76zow instead of Fairy for me, and good old Pulex.

Ecover doesn't strip the natural oils from your skin, and also doesn't leave a residue on the glass
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Jason Atwell

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 01:41:31 pm »
I use 'syr's glimmer clean, alot cheaper than gg3 and leaves them sparkling! £5 ish foe 5 litres
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

bumper

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 02:04:26 pm »
I use a bit of urine on mine, about a cupfull in a bucket, and when im  round a back i need a bit of water i sneak a quick leak on my pad,windows stay clean longer. about a day and a half,and if its freezing it doesnt freeze on the windows.

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 04:19:28 pm »
Two things that I already new of but thanks for looking out for your fellow window cleaners!!