Tosh

Sod that.
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:13:53 am »
Fella roof cleaning over the road from me today.

*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

p1w1

Re: Sod that.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:05:21 pm »
Must be Smurf   :D

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:18:18 pm »
That's a rough council estate too, sod that!

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:32:47 pm »
Fall protection springs to mind.  But at least the worker from the roofing firm is using a cat ladder unlike some numpties I've seen about. Mind still I'm sure a H&S bod would have shut the job down if they had been about. Also the firm would have ended up in court and would have been fined heavily for unsafe working practices.

It was on a bookfarce page not so long ago someone was doing similar sadly fell off a roof and died...
Makes you think don't it.

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 01:24:37 pm »
He probably charged pittance too for risking his life
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 01:34:05 pm »
It will never happen to me macho bullcrap is what gets people killed.
Over the years I've know personally 3 experienced roofers that went to work and never came home.

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 06:13:25 pm »
i lost a £70 job a few months ago because the other window cleaning company gets on her high 2nd storey roof and jetwashes it.(ive seen his "staff" up there.no safety equipment,just someone footing the ladder).my heart was in my mouth! ::)roll.a normal ladder too (albeit a long 3 section one).
price higher/work harder!

robbo333

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:22:08 pm »

I've zoomed in a bit on the pic. That is not ideal.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Og

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 07:23:44 pm »
How would you guys do it? What you gonna fix your fall arrest to?

kikjason

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 07:47:11 pm »
I'd rather be skint than risk doing that...he'd get more money cleaning wheelie bins...idiot

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 08:50:00 pm »
I saw a fellow windie round my way split his double extension ladder and hang one half over the plastic finials on top of a conny roof and climb up it just to clean a small bedroom widow.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Smurf

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 09:15:56 pm »

Anyone with half a brain would do a proper RAMS and cost whatever is needed into the price to comply for a particular job in hand.
Instead to want for a better word cowboy firms  to keep the cost down don't give a fig about their own safety nor their workers for that matter.

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 09:43:13 pm »
Looks like you've left your keys in the ignition Slacky.  ;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smurf

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 09:57:10 pm »

Spruce I just clicked on the pic and scrolled it to the van window as you mentioned it and yes he has.
Come to think of it how was that pic taken as looks high up to me?

Smurf

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 10:04:51 pm »
I saw a fellow windie round my way split his double extension ladder and hang one half over the plastic finials on top of a conny roof and climb up it just to clean a small bedroom widow.

Oh the good old day when men where men. Or should that be brain dead. lol

Bungle

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 10:08:34 pm »

Spruce I just clicked on the pic and scrolled it to the van window as you mentioned it and yes he has.

Slacko was on the roof of next door cleaning their roof  ;D
We look at them, they look through them.

chris turner

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 10:16:02 pm »

You know slacky. He got his ladder off to get the right angle so his van could be in the picture.
Surprised he didn't have his little 'copyright Oakley window cleaning' in the corner too ;D

Tosh

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 10:30:54 pm »
Garage roof ladies.

When I finished for the day the other fella had disappeared. Packed up and gone.

His roof ladder was still hooked up on the roof though  :)

He’d dislodged the gutter to the rear elevation of the house, it was at quite an acute angle one end of the property. I could see two end caps on two gutter lengths that hadn’t been cleaned, I don’t know what the rest of the job was like but it looked more bodge than quality.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 07:40:10 am »

Anyone with half a brain would do a proper RAMS and cost whatever is needed into the price to comply for a particular job in hand.
Instead to want for a better word cowboy firms  to keep the cost down don't give a fig about their own safety nor their workers for that matter.

Pikeys charge £650 for a roof round our way, not bad for a mornings work. Biowash seems to be the latest trend going by all the signage left on peoples drives, not watched anyone doing that though.