andyralph

Battery life
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:35:41 pm »
Hi all I use a 115 amp battery 9 months old used it for 1 man setup now useing 2 man onlly lasting for about 10 houses as when useing 1 man it was lasting for a couple of days easy any advice please thanks andy

Clever Forum Name

Re: Battery life
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:47:56 pm »
Buy another battery lol ?

Have you got a split charge relay?

andyralph

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 03:52:12 pm »
No not yet just drains battery 2 quick

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 03:59:13 pm »
Probably using between 7 - 10 amps draw. Should last the day though. Easily i would have thought.

Spruce is your man for this. However! I would have two batteries regardless if one can manage.

If you have had one day already where you can't work past 10 houses its a no brainier to fit two.

I have to say it seems pot luck on these batteries. In 2 years i went through 3 batteries. All leisure and all 80AH (one man,me).

Now i have a 115AH it seems to be fine with 1 or 2 men. But i have a decent SCR fitted. Works a lot better than the one i had fitted in my other van.

andyralph

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:06:43 pm »
Hi I do take a spare with me had battery checked and they said it's fine I will by another battery and will c the outcome thanks for advice cheers andy

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 06:23:38 pm »
Tbh - if your using it for a couple of days then charging it, you may have let it drain too low and damaged it, I understand leisure batteries do not react well when left to go flat.

SCR is best way to keep these topped up, even if you needed a bit extra charge after work.

Also a lot depends on the quality, I buy deep cycle batts from the local caravan shop @ £99.00 ( slight discount as he's a customer of mine ) but 2 of them are over two years old and going strong, before that I brought one for £55 from the local marina it was shot after six months - so, maybe in this case buy a top quality batt.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

andyralph

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 07:03:52 pm »
Hi I've charged battery every night after work my last 1 lasted 3 years think I've got I duff 1

firefly123

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:01:51 pm »
split charge relays wont work on short runs all so get a cetek charger and charge over night leisure battery's do not like the cold so if it does freeze you can kill it
shiney one

robert mitchell

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 11:41:17 pm »
or just use a big car battery
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 09:54:08 am »
Tbh - if your using it for a couple of days then charging it, you may have let it drain too low and damaged it, I understand leisure batteries do not react well when left to go flat.

SCR is best way to keep these topped up, even if you needed a bit extra charge after work.

Also a lot depends on the quality, I buy deep cycle batts from the local caravan shop @ £99.00 ( slight discount as he's a customer of mine ) but 2 of them are over two years old and going strong, before that I brought one for £55 from the local marina it was shot after six months - so, maybe in this case buy a top quality batt.

Darran

As a general rule of thumb these batteries should not be drained below 50% of capacity si in you case 57 amps. However this is based on the cells being in good condition and the amps being close to maximum at the start of the working day.

With a two pump system amp draw is doubled also the extra load means the volts are likely to fall away faster.

Depending on the cells condition the battery may simply be not holding a charge as well as it once did. It needs a long charge with an intelligent charger.

Battery capacity (how many amps it can hold) is reduced as temperature goes down, and increase as temperature goes up. This is why your car battery dies on a cold winter morning, even though it worked fine the previous afternoon. The standard AH rating for batteries is at room temperature, 25 degrees C (about 77 F).

At approximately minus 5C (22 degrees F), battery AH capacity drops to 50%. At freezing 0C (32 degrees F) , capacity is reduced by 20%.

The charging voltage to recharge your battery also changes with temperature. A higher charging voltage is required in lower temperatures. EG at -40 C, 2.74 volts per cell are required (16.4 volts). At 50C only 2.3 volts per cell (13.8 volts) would be required.

Battery Thermal mass means that because they have so much mass, they will change internal temperature much slower than the surrounding air temperature. A large insulated battery bank may vary as little as 10 degrees over 24 hours internally, even though the air temperature varies from 20 to 70 degrees.

Be aware however that a discharged battery can be more likely to freeze than a charged one. This is due to electrolyte in the battery becoming thinner and more watery making freezing more likely.

Taking into account changes and and factors already mentioned above current draw is likely to be slightly higher in cold weather. Changing the frequency of charging to ensure the battery is always at maximum capacity is advisable in winter. Also batteries can loose up to 5% of there capacity just sitting. If you are leaving a battery idle for a long period connecting it to an intelligent charger will extend the life of the battery.

V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology