Re: black soot from exhaust on van
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 08:39:50 pm »
"Yeh....they all do that guv'nor"

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

Richard60

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 09:56:04 pm »
the guy that does the motoring section in the sunday mirror .says the transit van is a workhorse .that should be run at 70mph at least for half a hour once a week to blow soot deposits out of filters .n reguler oil n filter change .thats why im on the m4 most sunday mornings  ;D giving it a blowthrough .yes i said blowthrough .not something else you dirty minded devils ;D

kempy

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 09:59:48 pm »
Mine does the same . Every so often I blast it .
I rev it high .

It's great in summer if a CONVERTABLE CAR is behind me , Jesus I think I can poisonous them .

Our lasses car is a 2.0 tdi 140bhp and I tell her to Thrash it now n again

KLEENAWAY

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:15 pm »
Daz have a look at a thing called a "terraclean" they will come to your house and carry out a clean on your engine, it clears a lot of running problems and iv only seen good things about it. You should also get the van serviced after but it should run like new. Ill be getting my van done soon

Danny

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 10:14:48 pm »
i just checked.my van DOESNT have a DPF fitted THANK GOD!! ;D ;D

price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 10:19:48 pm »
Service it yourself dazmond, I done my recently for under £40, new oil/filter, new fuel filter, air filter, cleaned egr, flushed water and topped up with freeze antifreeze.
Took around 3 hours and at least I know it's all been done, you never know with garages these days.
Check eurocarparts and halfords for the best deals and always use fully synthetic oil.

I CANT BE BOTHERED DOING IT MYSELF MATE!!i havent got the time or inclination to get my hands dirty faffing about.

ive been taking my cars and vans to the same garage for 26 YEARS and they are cheap and trustworthy. ;)
price higher/work harder!

Spruce

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 10:25:37 pm »
i just checked.my van DOESNT have a DPF fitted THANK GOD!! ;D ;D

I didn't think it did. :)

Get the mechanic to check the glowplugs are working to spec. Guess the start up smoke has become worse in the cold mornings than during the summer.

The exhaust from your diesel van will always be black. In the winter water condensation escapes from the exhaust and washes the soot off, dripping onto the floor when the van is idling and leaving a soot stain.

I seen some cars just blow streams of water from the exhaust that has accumulated in the rear silencer. The Transit Connect has a large rear silencer box and will be prone to collecting water. Doing minimal mileage will mean that the box doesn't get hot enough to dry the box out.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Danny F

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 01:00:11 am »
I just serviced my car, new oil, filters, checked all fluids - all serviced by myself. Parts and oil are cheap enough if you are handy enough. tbh the first thing you should have done is a service, especially if you dont know its history or last time its oil was changed...

Michael Peterson

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 06:53:09 am »
even if you don't want to service it yourself, get an axelstand and change the oil its one plug

CleanClear

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 10:29:11 pm »
The exhaust from your diesel van will always be black. In the winter water condensation escapes from the exhaust and washes the soot off, dripping onto the floor when the van is idling and leaving a soot stain.

I seen some cars just blow streams of water from the exhaust that has accumulated in the rear silencer. The Transit Connect has a large rear silencer box and will be prone to collecting water. Doing minimal mileage will mean that the box doesn't get hot enough to dry the box out.

There's the answer, right there. Exhaust will be the next thing he buys for it  ;D
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Spruce

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 08:46:23 am »
The other issue he could have is that its oil or diesel droplets from a leak somewhere.

A diesel drip from a fuel will be sucked into the airstream under the van when in motion and be sucked up behind the van by the vacuum caused and some deposited on the rear doors. The same would apply from an oil leak although he should be able to tell the difference very easily between diesel and oil.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

tonycarr

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 10:04:32 am »
Half price oil at halfords £12 for 4 ltrs fully synthetic

get ya hand dirty  ;)

tony
T & J Window Cleaning services

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 10:25:48 am »
Half price oil at halfords £12 for 4 ltrs fully synthetic

get ya hand dirty  ;)

tony
Thats a good deal.
I'm not that mechanically minded but even I've got in to the habit of changing my oil and filter. Only takes 30 mins.
I do it at the end of the summer, the logic behind that being that in colder months like now dirty oil will be thicker and gloopier. Also I add a bottle of engine flush in the oil filler cap the afternoon before changing the oil.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 05:36:20 pm »
theres been a lot of talk on the diesel fourm about people using a drop of two stroke oil in there fuel and seems to work well how ever if you want to know any thing about them connects join the face book group transit connected  the guy that runs the page knows his stuff