lee_dewing

dedicated battery users.
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:26:40 pm »
Hi.
All you guys thar use a second batteey for pump and charge separately overnight what di you recommend.
Car batteries or leisure batteries?

Also what chargers.
Links would be great if possible.
Especially for chagers.
Thanks lee.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Smart Carpet

Re: dedicated battery users.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:31:42 pm »
2nd Car battery charged with >>This Split charge relay<<

Never need to bench charge as I use a smaller pump which doesn't draw as much current as a bigger shurflo or flojet pump.

Hope that helps.

Don Kee

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 04:36:18 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310903460442?redirect=mobile

Thats the battery i'd use if you're charging over night.
You'll probably get away with charging it every few nights if working on your own

Spruce put up a link for a great charger a while ago if you can find the thread...

(Maybe think about a split charger if using a separate battery : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMPER-VAN-SPLIT-CHARGE-RELAY-KIT-30-AMP-12V-/151348668660?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item233d1568f   For the price mate get one fitted and its topping up your bat every time your vans on. I've never had to bench charge since i fitted it)

lee_dewing

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 05:11:44 pm »
Thanks guys for links.
Don't think relay would be good for me car battery only last 18 month's to 2 year's.

Only do 9000 miles a year tops.
The nature of a job stop start driving means relay would probably mean a flat van and pump battery ;D

So looking to charge battery every night if leisure battery the yeh maybe every 2 nights charging.
Thanks lee. 

Smart Carpet

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 05:18:34 pm »
ok.. the idea of a smart relay is that it will never flatten your van battery, because that always get priority from the alternator.

If you get a leisure battery, you should get enough charge from the split charge relay imo.

robert mitchell

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 05:23:40 pm »
i have a large car battery as my second battery and a split charger from grippatank .....never have to charge it .

from what i can gather a car battery can accept a higher charge rate .

my battery was £30 secondhand off ebay two years ago.

split charge relays do vary in quality so worth getting a good one .

your van battery will last longer as your not drawing from your main battery to run the pump.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Don Kee

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 05:34:51 pm »
Thanks guys for links.
Don't think relay would be good for me car battery only last 18 month's to 2 year's.

Only do 9000 miles a year tops.
The nature of a job stop start driving means relay would probably mean a flat van and pump battery ;D

So looking to charge battery every night if leisure battery the yeh maybe every 2 nights charging.
Thanks lee.  

I do less miles than you mate and never had to bench charge

Frankybadboy will be lucky if he does 5000 in a year and i'm pretty sure he hadnt had to bench charge, bar maybe a couple of times just in case

As has been said, if you get an intelligent relay your van will never go as it will only charge the 'second' battery if your van has ample charge

Regarding chargers, ideally you dont want a trickle charger as you'll be there ages charging if you use a leisure bat
Hopefully spruce will be along soon and post a link

EandM

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »
Having tried leisure batterys, AGM and deep cycle I actually read someones post on here who claimed that they just got cheap batteries off the local scrap guy for a fiver, so I tried that -  Sound Advice ! I have an old diesel battery from my XM with at least two cells down but it runs the pump all day and at a lower speed that stops the pump from cycling - acquired a backup for a fiver about a year ago but haven't needed it yet ! I just charge it every night as I don't do enough miles to split charge.

Smart Carpet

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 06:03:56 pm »
+1

I bought a used (diesel) car battery for £10 iirc

lee_dewing

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:12:36 pm »
Thanks everyone.

Tony, as a one man band i guess your battery would need charging every 2 days?

How long does that charger take to do that battery?

Just see some of the reviewers said charger has 8 amp charge option but they could not use that on their battery and took ages to charge.

Many thanks for those links Tony ;)

lee

tonycarr

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »
hi lee....my van is setup for 2 men (or more precisely 1 man & 1 woman, the wife  ;)) 2 controllers & 2 pumps. i put it on charge when i get home even if im not working for a couple of days, when the battery has finished charging the charger Automatically switches between charging and maintenance mode, so will never overcharge. both battery and charger have proved to be excellent.

iv never managed to run my battery flat, so not sure how long how long it would take to charge from flat

hope this helps

tony
T & J Window Cleaning services

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 08:28:49 pm »
This is the charger I've got;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Numax-12V-10A-Leisure-Battery-Charger-Caravan-Campervan-Motorhome-Marine-Boat-/321156058628?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item4ac6648e04

This is the battery I have;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-110AH-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Numax-XV31MF-Leisure-Caravan-Marine-Boat-Range-/190603406688?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2c60d92d60

The battery is 3 1/2 years old and still going strong.

I have a split charge relay and my van is a 2 man setup. When the previous battery failed, we were able to finish the job by letting the van engine idle. That provided enough current to finish the job with 2 pumps running.

We do so little mileage that the split charge relay isn't enough on its own to keep the leisure battery full. I put the battery on charge every second evening and leave it on all night.

My SIL does more mileage and he bench charges his battery every couple of months. He has a single operator setup with an 85 amp Numax battery, now nearly 2 1/2 years old.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

lee_dewing

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 09:20:14 pm »
Thanks again Tony.

Thanks very much Spruce.
I just ordered battery charger and had not seen your post but ordered similar/same  ;D

Battery wise got a banner car battery one of the smaller spec ones.
If it lets me down will get your leisure battery.

Will bookmark this post for future reference.
Thanks everyone.
Lee.