*brightclean

my prices
« on: July 15, 2008, 08:48:48 pm »
These are my prices, seems like I need to up them...

Lounge £15
Diner £10
suite £65
hsl £25
rug £4

min call out charge £50

:o :o

davep

Re: my prices
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 08:50:50 pm »
Get ready for an onslaught!

They are too low to make a good profit if you are taking the correct time and using the correct chems..

Lounge £15?  How long does a lounge take?

*brightclean

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:54:26 pm »
Bedrooms we do for a £10

Lounges take us about an hour but you got to remember it's only cleaning that we do, not brain surgery!!

davep

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 08:59:41 pm »
If it takes you a hour and you charge £15.... well you work it out.  Take out van, petrol, chems etc and what are you left with.  Is that on your own or is there 2 of you?   Do you work 52 weeks or is part of this £15 going towards holiday and sick pay?

Maybe a bit of brain surgery will help you get your prices right  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:00:37 pm »
wind up merchant. don't fall for it ::)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

*brightclean

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:01:13 pm »
We are kept very busy, we are not the so called splash and dash, we are professional concientious cleaners offering a first class service at cheap prices.

Thats why our custys keep coming back, time after time....

we make a really good living and r always busy......

sorry people, but some prices on here are too high and silly, no wonder why alot of you are struggling ......  LOWER YOUR PRICES AND SEE THE CUSTYS COME FLOODING IN  ;)

*brightclean

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 09:02:23 pm »

??? Strange comment for a moderator.

Im not winding anyone up just expressing my views, or is that not allowed

Joe H

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:06:09 pm »
When you say "we" are kept busy, who are the "we"?

Do 2 or more of you go to one job?
or are you running 2 or more separate operators?
or do you do general cleaning with carpet cleaning added as an extra service?
what machines(s) do you currently operate?

Steve Chapman

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 09:09:01 pm »

Lounge £15
Diner £10
suite £65
hsl £25
rug £4

min call out charge £50
We are kept very busy, we are not the so called splash and dash, we are professional concientious cleaners offering a first class service at cheap prices.

sorry people, but some prices on here are too high and silly, no wonder why alot of you are struggling ......  LOWER YOUR PRICES AND SEE THE CUSTYS COME FLOODING IN  ;)

so are you upping your prices or are we cutting ours ???  ::)

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 09:11:18 pm »

Spot on.

*brightclean

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 09:11:38 pm »
When you say "we" are kept busy, who are the "we"?

Do 2 or more of you go to one job?
or are you running 2 or more separate operators?
or do you do general cleaning with carpet cleaning added as an extra service?
what machines(s) do you currently operate?

We, are 4 persons using 3 vehicles  and only doing c/c and u/p cleaning. We currently use Alltec Advantage machines but are looking to replace.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 09:11:42 pm »
How many jobs do you do in a day?

Shaun

*brightclean

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 09:12:35 pm »

Lounge £15
Diner £10
suite £65
hsl £25
rug £4

min call out charge £50

sorry people, but some prices on here are too high and silly, no wonder why alot of you are struggling ......  LOWER YOUR PRICES AND SEE THE CUSTYS COME FLOODING IN  ;)

so are you upping your prices or are we cutting ours ???  ::)

LOWER YOURS   ;)

Len Gribble

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 09:14:23 pm »
Mike

you have mail.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

*brightclean

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 09:16:24 pm »
How many jobs do you do in a day?

Shaun

Hi Shaun, we normally go to about 5/7 custys houses per day, sometimes we double up, or assist another van. We have a min charge of £50 per call out no matter what we do, on average custys are spending about £68 per visit with us which keeps us busy.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 09:17:45 pm »
no I don't!!

Len I've sent you an email so you have my correct email address

*brightclean

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »
Does everyone else get an email or is this a secret society forum   ;D

derek west

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 09:19:14 pm »
do you move furniture or that extra??????????

davep

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 09:20:49 pm »
So 2 of you are getting £15 per hr?  £7.50 each?  Minus petrol etc?

Think i will lower my prices to match.   ???

*brightclean

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 09:22:41 pm »
do you move furniture or that extra??????????

We do move furniture, but only light things, not sideboards etc. Moving furniture is free.

We pre-vac, spray our solutions down and extract. Of course extras such as special treatments are chargeable and we have a annual contract whereby the custy pays us a set fee and in return we 'look after' their carpet within that year, abit like an insurance policy, works very well and guarantees us income coming in.

*brightclean

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 09:24:29 pm »
So 2 of you are getting £15 per hr?  £7.50 each?  Minus petrol etc?

Think i will lower my prices to match.   ???

No it doesn't work like that, we pay min wage, the rest is invested back into the business - and yr figures are way out  :)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 09:24:51 pm »
Is that 5-7 jobs each van?

Shaun

PS can I have an email as well?

*brightclean

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 09:26:44 pm »
We are proud to say that we are cheap professional carpet cleaners doing a professional job. Sorry if you dont like our prices but thats called competition, we are happy with what we do and the money we make....

davep

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 09:26:44 pm »
if it takes 2 people 1 hr to earn £15 then how have i worked it out wrong?

Can i also have email after Shaun  ???

mark shannon

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 09:27:11 pm »
There is a place for everyone in this industry but Brighterclean you could charge £30 for a lounge and still undercut nearly everyone.

*brightclean

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 09:30:14 pm »
There is a place for everyone in this industry but Brighterclean you could charge £30 for a lounge and still undercut nearly everyone.

Thank you Mark. But thats the reason why we are kept busy all the time, we dont make a killing but we make a reasonable wage (dont forget its only CLEANING) and we enjoy what we do. We dont and never will rip off custys with mad silly high inflated c/c prices.

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 09:30:21 pm »
Why are you proud to say you are cheap !?

*brightclean

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 09:31:43 pm »
Why are you proud to say you are cheap !?

See previous post, anyhow I only registered on here to c what u guys think of extracta  ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 09:33:46 pm »
Yeah I agree.

I do a lounge for a tenner, 3-pc suite for a bag of chips and if they want the curtains doing I pay them £5 a pair just for the privilege of working on them.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 09:34:01 pm »
Looking at the Maths,

You said that you do an average job at £68, that's say Lounge, dining room, hall stair and landing and a bedroom.

Also you say that a lounge takes 1 hours albeit with set up and set down so for £68 would it be fair to say it takes around 3 hours?

Shaun

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 09:36:48 pm »
Brightclean,

I think the trouble is what you are doing won't be sustainable. The idea of picking up clients on maintenance plan by your initial pricing is a good idea, but the problem is there is no loyalty with the type of customer you are aiming at.

Also as has been mensioned it's idiotic to price yourself far lower than your competition unless you want to register as a charity or something. Why? there's no point.

derek west

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 09:38:53 pm »
you must be working flat out, how many mops do you go through a week, and on the posh jobs do you use a squeegee for rapid drying

elliott cleaning

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 09:40:37 pm »
Although Brightclean is getting a bit of a ribbing for his pricing & I am inclined to agree that he could achieve higher prices without fear of loosing market share,  none of us know his status.

Could be a few OAP's making pin money. ;)

He does have a point though.  He is only cleaning carpets & not offering rocket science.   Get the impression that some posts imply that they look at it the other way around.

Len Gribble

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 09:43:54 pm »
Brightclean

You have a point should have said another subject so I apologise for highjacking your thread.

Mike did you get the one about phone numbers?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 09:49:45 pm »
get out of it Len!!!

trying to take over, what do you think you are a Martian?

Shaun

Roy Edwards

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 09:53:47 pm »
If your happy to be flat out all the time ,when you could do half the jobs for the same money so be it,custy is not bothered how long you take as long as when you leave it looks good.
But  as the old saying goes buy cheap buy twice ;D

carlton care

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 10:00:02 pm »
Others say " buy one get one FREE "

*brightclean

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008, 10:12:43 pm »
Others say " buy one get one FREE "

Actually, funny u should bring that up as we are doing a special next month, have yr lounge carpet cleaned and we will clean yr suite for half price..

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 10:15:46 pm »
So you are doing a 3pc suite (£65) and a carpet for free for £32.50?

That's 3 hours.

Shaun

PS I have a full week this week and next but I'm not charging those prices perhaps I should increase me prices to suit.

Roy Edwards

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2008, 10:17:51 pm »
you will clean a suite for 32.50  and they say  there worried about inflation on the news  :)

*brightclean

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2008, 10:19:34 pm »
So you are doing a 3pc suite (£65) and a carpet for free for £32.50?

That's 3 hours.

Shaun

PS I have a full week this week and next but I'm not charging those prices perhaps I should increase me prices to suit.

We will clean their lounge carpet for £15 + suite £32.50 =  £47.50

;)

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2008, 10:21:19 pm »
Ultimately it's your business I guess. Good luck with it.

*brightclean

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »
you will clean a suite for 32.50  and they say  there worried about inflation on the news  :)

Thats rich, we charge £65 to clean a suite, looking at your website you only charge £20 more lol

derek west

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2008, 10:25:03 pm »
how can it be £47.50, your min charge is £50 so the offer doesn't really work.

elliott cleaning

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 10:25:49 pm »
Sensible post Mike.

If Brightclean are content with what they charge, so be it

Can't recall any posts from others in Coventry bitching about losing business to Brightclean

*brightclean

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 10:29:51 pm »
Well, next time cleaners (and thats all we are) moan on here about not getting any work in, cant make a living, then think about my few posts and their content.

Lower your prices = larger custy base = higher turnover = stabilised profit margins

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2008, 10:37:09 pm »
Do you know for sure you are making a profit, how long have you been trading?

This just cleaning thing is a mindset that will keep you poor. You run a business, there are loads of people on here who are 'just cleaners' who make over £50 an hour, have customers who stick with them and recommend them.

They are not 'just cleaners' they are business people.

richie

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2008, 10:38:28 pm »
If Brightclean chooses to charge what we all think is silly low prices then that is his choice & if he is earning a living that suits his needs then fair play to him.  One comment that i found offensive that Brightclean made is "WE ARE ONLY CLEANERS".  Brightclean,  are you saying that cleaners are at the lower end of the scale?  Who is it that keeps top hotels looking so good?  who is it that keeps all the Mansions looking so good?  I will tell you who.....CLEANERS.  Some i agree are scrubbers that dont care but i think that you will find that many & 99% on this forum take great pride in their work/business and make more money than NON CLEANERS.  I know CLEANERS that are hands on in their business & there business take between £50,000 - £350,000 per year.  Those figures dont sound like the lower end of the scale to me.

Richie.

Roy Edwards

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2008, 10:39:03 pm »

Thats rich, we charge £65 to clean a suite, looking at your website you only charge £20 more lol
£85 is a fair price i think so that is what we charge
 £65 if you can do it for that  good on you
 £32.50  lol

elliott cleaning

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2008, 10:40:07 pm »
Brightclean.   Yes, we are all cleaners, but we all have our respective markets.   Afraid that if I went into one of my customers & told them I was charging what you have quoted above, they would probably be terrified as to what I might do to their soft furnishings.   That's not to say you shouldn't charge what you do. I just get the impression that you service a different customer range than myself

*brightclean

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2008, 10:41:40 pm »
Do you know for sure you are making a profit, how long have you been trading?

This just cleaning thing is a mindset that will keep you poor. You run a business, there are loads of people on here who are 'just cleaners' who make over £50 an hour, have customers who stick with them and recommend them.

They are not 'just cleaners' they are business people.

Thats very true, however most are one man bands and they are still CLEANERS! (as well as business people)

Ours is a company thats been trading for 3 years next month, yes we are making a profit (according to my sage software and accountant) and yes I own the business.

I employ staff who get paid for what they do. £50 per hour is totally outrageous to charge someone for cleaning, in other words injecting water into their fabrics...

Unbelievable.......

*brightclean

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2008, 10:44:30 pm »
If Brightclean chooses to charge what we all think is silly low prices then that is his choice & if he is earning a living that suits his needs then fair play to him.  One comment that i found offensive that Brightclean made is "WE ARE ONLY CLEANERS".  Brightclean,  are you saying that cleaners are at the lower end of the scale?  Who is it that keeps top hotels looking so good?  who is it that keeps all the Mansions looking so good?  I will tell you who.....CLEANERS.  Some i agree are scrubbers that dont care but i think that you will find that many & 99% on this forum take great pride in their work/business and make more money than NON CLEANERS.  I know CLEANERS that are hands on in their business & there business take between £50,000 - £350,000 per year.  Those figures dont sound like the lower end of the scale to me.

Richie.

Offensive or not, the reality is you ARE A CLEANER!

Not a fitter, mechanic or engineer, simply a cleaner.....

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2008, 10:48:07 pm »
Does anyone remember 'Ron' AKA 'Jack' RIP, it's the same US idea, pile it high sell it cheap, but IMO there's not much sway if things go quiet or a machine or van goes down as you have a crew sat around getting paid for doing nowt or you hire them a van but that comes out of the profit.

Looking at a half price cleanind in your area leaflet the other day and even they are expensive compared to these prices, I think that their lounge cleaning starts at £18.

Shaun

Paul Davidson

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2008, 10:49:22 pm »
Maybe Bright clean is really Simon or Tom, working on some reverse psycology! :o

Sorry Simon!!!,

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:07 pm »
Sounds like you will be still doing the same thing in forty years time, crippled body but can't give up cos you didn't make enough, when you easily could have. That would be very sad indeed.

*brightclean

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:28 pm »
Does anyone remember 'Ron' AKA 'Jack' RIP, it's the same US idea, pile it high sell it cheap, but IMO there's not much sway if things go quiet or a machine or van goes down as you have a crew sat around getting paid for doing nowt or you hire them a van but that comes out of the profit.

Looking at a half price cleanind in your area leaflet the other day and even they are expensive compared to these prices, I think that their lounge cleaning starts at £18.

Shaun

Lord whats his name who owns Carpetsh@te runs on the same principle, sell cheap, high turnover, high customer base.......

*brightclean

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2008, 10:51:30 pm »
Sounds like you will be still doing the same thing in forty years time, crippled body but can't give up cos you didn't make enough, when you easily could have. That would be very sad indeed.

In 40 years time ill probably be dead, but if im not, my staff will continue cleaning for me in the same manner.

*brightclean

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2008, 10:53:47 pm »
Dont forget most of u r one man banders (nothing wrong with that) but my business is growing year on year on my methods, and I personally dont have to work on the 'front line' anymore (but I chose to at the moment as I enjoy it).

If I wanted to I canm jsut sit back and answer the phone, how many CLEANERS on here can say the same??

elliott cleaning

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2008, 10:54:14 pm »
Shaun
There was a fellow by the name of Cohen in the 1960's. His idea was also "pile high sell cheap".  He started a business called Tesco.
Look at their profits now.  Maybe Brightclean (if he is not on a windup) is following this business formula

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2008, 10:55:04 pm »
Maybe you are right, especially with staff. Still have a think about what's been siad though, no harm in just having a think about it.

richie

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2008, 10:55:23 pm »
So a fitter, mechanic or engineer is better than us CLEANERS?  Most of them charge around £50 per hour and dont even break sweat.  You may well be JUST A CLEANER but i can tell you that most on here are carpet & upholstery Restoration Technicians.  I am proud to be in this GREAT industry.  We often get £50 per hour & offer great value for money in what we do.  The other day i cleaned a lounge/diner and charged £83.00,  from set up to set down it took me 1 hour 10 minutes. The customer had informed me that she had a plumber in the week before that was in her house less than 4 hours & charged £300 labour.  She went on to say that i offered EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY & that she thought the plumber was a rip off.

Richie.

*brightclean

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2008, 10:55:45 pm »
Shaun
There was a fellow by the name of Cohen in the 1960's. His idea was also "pile high sell cheap".  He started a business called Tesco.
Look at their profits now.  Maybe Brightclean (if he is not on a windup) is following this business formula

Thats how Im building the business up, its my way and its working, and know I dont wind anyone up.....

davep

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2008, 10:56:39 pm »
Qoute from BC..  Lower your prices = larger custy base = higher turnover = stabilised profit margins

Sounds like your running around like headless chickens!

Another quote from BC.. We have 7 lounges to do, 3 suites, 9 bedrooms and 2 h/s/l

4 people doing all that?

Again, headless chickens spring to mind!

elliott cleaning

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2008, 10:58:11 pm »
Good for you Brightclean

God,  this thread must now have been hammered to death, or will it go around in another circle

Roy Edwards

« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2008, 10:59:06 pm »
Lets not forget what the orig post is

Lounge £15
Diner £10
suite £65
hsl £25
rug £4

min call out charge £50

Shocked Shocked

Think as nobody on here has said they are as cheap as you,it is safe to say you can put your prices up a little ;)

*brightclean

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2008, 10:59:41 pm »
So a fitter, mechanic or engineer is better than us CLEANERS?  Most of them charge around £50 per hour and dont even break sweat.  You may well be JUST A CLEANER but i can tell you that most on here are carpet & upholstery Restoration Technicians.  I am proud to be in this GREAT industry.  We often get £50 per hour & offer great value for money in what we do.  The other day i cleaned a lounge/diner and charged £83.00,  from set up to set down it took me 1 hour 10 minutes. The customer had informed me that she had a plumber in the week before that was in her house less than 4 hours & charged £300 labour.  She went on to say that i offered EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY & that she thought the plumber was a rip off.

Richie.

Your customer could have had the same job completed with us for £50 (min charge).

Let me say that this is the easiest 'trade' to get into, you dont even have to serve an apprentiship, just buy a porty and away you go, some 'trade'..... but, yes, I love carpet cleaning, don't know why but its in my blood....

With our min charge we dont come far off your charge BTW...

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2008, 11:00:32 pm »
I'm not saying it can't be done but it's stressful if things go a bit Pete Tong and the minimum wage goes up a bump and petrol goes up even further.

Shaun

*brightclean

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2008, 11:01:44 pm »
I'm not saying it can't be done but it's stressful if things go a bit Pete Tong and the minimum wage goes up a bump and petrol goes up even further.

Shaun

Like everyone, we can ajust our prices overnight   ;)

*brightclean

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2008, 11:03:06 pm »
Lets not forget what the orig post is

Lounge £15
Diner £10
suite £65
hsl £25
rug £4

min call out charge £50

Shocked Shocked

Think as nobody on here has said they are as cheap as you,it is safe to say you can put your prices up a little ;)

I was taking the p@ss!!   :o

I was so shocked at what you guys are charging....

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2008, 11:05:55 pm »
Can I ask, are you employing carpet and upholstery cleaners at minimum wage?

If so don't you find they leave, set up on their own and make more money? After all like you say all you need is a porty and a bucket.

*brightclean

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2008, 11:07:23 pm »
Can I ask, are you employing carpet and upholstery cleaners at minimum wage?

If so don't you find they leave, set up on their own and make more money? After all like you say all you need is a porty and a bucket.

1. Yes
2. No they dont as none of them can offord to
3. I didn't say you needed a bucket   ;D

Paul Davidson

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2008, 11:08:19 pm »
This is a wind up!  ::)

Just leave him be!

*brightclean

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2008, 11:11:21 pm »
This is a wind up!  ::)

Just leave him be!

Your a strange lot, im off as ive a busy day tom answering the phones and organising staff. Happy cleaning folks? (did my original question get answered I cant remember, but thanks anyway)

John Gregory

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2008, 11:14:45 pm »
i'm knackered after all that reading , Goodnight , Brightclean , Tom . and Simon

john

« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2008, 11:17:12 pm »
Eh John, a bit less of the banter you. ;)

gwrightson

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2008, 07:05:07 am »
Just read this thread for the first time this morning,

First thing that sprung to mind " brightclean is taking the p**s , low and behold , as i read down the posts, mike comes out with Wind up merchant,
got to agree ;D

A point nobody seems to have picked up on is, according to bright clean , he is so busy , and full up every day and making a living YET!! He is about to put a speciial offfer up.

"get you lounge carpet cleaned , your suite half price," I believe was stated :D  :D  :D

WHY???????????????????   if so busy

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Mike Halliday

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2008, 07:15:04 am »
but he's got everyone talking, and its good to talk,

so he's done us all a favour,  we should reccomend he goes over to cleantalk, he would quadruple thier yearly  posts in an hour :D :D

mike

jasonl

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2008, 07:57:15 am »
I think he has a great business plan , there is a company, albeit in retail that is increasing turnover and profits in a massive way right now , they have a business plan , they stick to it , and it works. They sell some good products , but even more really bad products, as we mostly all ASSUME Bright clean does. I am seriously considering setting up this kind of operation , to appeal to the social housing/benefit/carpetright type of demographic.
The retailer I am talking about is called  Aldebrecht discounts..... commonly known as .... ALDI.
Also spectacles can be bought from vision express for £300 plus/pair... the same pair , with free sunglasses are 129 from specsavers, different service standards , different business model, both companies make outstanding profits, except the franchisor of Specsavers (the "daft" cheap one") ,is based in Jersey , for tax reasons.

Go Brightclean..... if what you say is true carry on .

P.S. my prices are not high, yet I drive a very nice car , buy property regularly , and have a decent income , neither do I work more than 40 hours most weeks. I have employees to do all the running around.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2008, 08:25:20 am »
Is there anyone else who lives in Coventry  who can confirm that this company is charging these low prices

To me the entire idea is dependent on Volume

So what do you do, or did three years ago to get phone ringing

Your Maintence Plan is that on a Standing Order

Sorry to be sceptical  but a lot of people read The Forum  so evidence would be good.

Have you a Web Site?

carlton care

« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2008, 09:27:24 am »
A point VERY worthwhile noting....................

Too many kid themselves that Aldi / Lidl / Primark are only selling to the lower income sector and nothing could be further from the truth.

Whether you like it, or not, the Retail and Service companies are attracting a higher percentage of the available market each year, by offering More competetive prices and Perceived "Good Value."

You don't have to be selling at the Bottom End to be offering Good Value, but it's a lot easier to gain and keep customers if your charges appear to be Competetive.

Sure, it's great to target the customers who just pay what you ask, but that is a tiny percentage of the overall market and to get Tom, Dick and Harriet all chasing those clients will result in one thing.!

The prices offered to the Top End customers will automatically get lower, as they will have more people competing for their business.

Whether B/C is genuine, or not is irrelevent, there are are many B/C's out there and many are just getting on with it. Doing their 5 - 7 jobs per day and taking around £2k per week.

No point in suggesting their running costs will be astrononomical, or they won't be giving the " full monty " to their clients.

They are delivering what 80% of the market wants.

It's easy to get bogged down with ideals, or trying to follow the book. There are smart and shrewd  "businessmen " out there who JUST DO IT and take the money.

Many of them don't stand out from the crowd in any way, but they collect the money day in, day out.

robert m

Ian

Of course you depend on volume if you offer low prices, but if you aim your marketing at the 80% plus end of the market, it's a lot easier to get and sustain that volume, while others struggle to get the less reachable top end clients.

I'm not saying " be cheap " but being moderate in your pricing will give a steady flow of cash.

The successful guys on here are mainly trading on their character and personality. They have the confidence and charisma to pull it off. That's the main difference !

*brightclean

« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2008, 09:33:28 am »
Just read this thread for the first time this morning,

First thing that sprung to mind " brightclean is taking the p**s , low and behold , as i read down the posts, mike comes out with Wind up merchant,
got to agree ;D

A point nobody seems to have picked up on is, according to bright clean , he is so busy , and full up every day and making a living YET!! He is about to put a speciial offfer up.

"get you lounge carpet cleaned , your suite half price," I believe was stated :D  :D  :D

WHY???????????????????   if so busy

Geoff

1. As I have already stated I'm in no way taking the p%ss!
2. The special offer next month is because we have been trading for 3 years, and it's a very good idea to clean suites in August because of the whether. Dont you run promotional campaigns??

If you look at Carpetsh&te, they are always offering a special, 50% / 75% off or free underlay etc and it draws the custys in. They are selling crap but the business has made a massive profit last year and again in this half year.

Is there anyone else who lives in Coventry who can confirm that this company is charging these low prices

To me the entire idea is dependent on Volume

So what do you do, or did three years ago to get phone ringing

Your Maintence Plan is that on a Standing Order

Sorry to be sceptical but a lot of people read The Forum so evidence would be good.

Have you a Web Site?

1. Yes, it is dependent on volume, but as our prices are cheap, we get the business through (don't forget our min charge is £50, so if u were just wanting 1 or 2 rooms doing thats what we would charge, it becomes more of a saving for the customer the more they want cleaned. Each custy is left with a business/advertising pack which tells them when they shold ideally call us again, stain removal chart, about extra services, and importantly, a further discount voucher of 10% if they introduce a friend.

2. We started with 1 man and 1 van (like most of you guys), and I started by charging simular prices to you. Got 1 -2 jobs in, things were very  very slow, and I had a long hard think and came up with this plan. As I say, I nowemploy staff and have the oppurtunity to sit back if I want to, my gross turnoever is exceeding previous years by on average 28.9%, which I'mpleased with and profits are up. I also give the technicians a bonus if they sell any extras such as stainguard, or anti static etc or they bring in further business. Furthermore, if they are or have a spare hour or 2 in a day, they dont just sit around doing nothing, they are very much proactive by way of distributing leaflets and making contact with local carpet retailers and fitters etc.

3. Our maintenance plan is on a standing order. In fact, the income I receive now from monthly agreements is now paying the wages and more, so I dont have to worry about that. This is taking off, because more and more people are wanting their soft furnishings cleaned and looked after as the expence of replacing, for some people, is too great. The plan is based on several issues and covers all aspects of carpet and upholstery cleaning as well as emergency call outs for fire, flood damage and stain removal.

4. No, we haven't a website yet but something we're looking into.

Hope I have answered your questions Ian, cheers.

*brightclean

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2008, 09:37:53 am »
A point VERY worthwhile noting....................

Too many kid themselves that Aldi / Lidl / Primark are only selling to the lower income sector and nothing could be further from the truth.

Whether you like it, or not, the Retail and Service companies are attracting a higher percentage of the available market each year, by offering More competetive prices and Perceived "Good Value."

You don't have to be selling at the Bottom End to be offering Good Value, but it's a lot easier to gain and keep customers if your charges appear to be Competetive.

Sure, it's great to target the customers who just pay what you ask, but that is a tiny percentage of the overall market and to get Tom, Dick and Harriet all chasing those clients will result in one thing.!

The prices offered to the Top End customers will automatically get lower, as they will have more people competing for their business.

Whether B/C is genuine, or not is irrelevent, there are are many B/C's out there and many are just getting on with it. Doing their 5 - 7 jobs per day and taking around £2k per week.

No point in suggesting their running costs will be astrononomical, or they won't be giving the " full monty " to their clients.

They are delivering what 80% of the market wants.

It's easy to get bogged down with ideals, or trying to follow the book. There are smart and shrewd  "businessmen " out there who JUST DO IT and take the money.

Many of them don't stand out from the crowd in any way, but they collect the money day in, day out.

robert m

Ian

Of course you depend on volume if you offer low prices, but if you aim your marketing at the 80% plus end of the market, it's a lot easier to get and sustain that volume, while others struggle to get the less reachable top end clients.

I'm not saying " be cheap " but being moderate in your pricing will give a steady flow of cash.

The successful guys on here are mainly trading on their character and personality. They have the confidence and charisma to pull it off. That's the main difference !

Very true, an excellent post, now im off as lots todo,will log back in tonight, bye for now.

*brightclean

« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2008, 10:49:41 am »
A quick example of 3 jobs Ive just preiced for:-

1 x lounge + rug = £50 (min charge)

3 beds + lounge + suite = £110

1 x lounge/diner = £50 (min charge)

Although we advertise lounge £15 etc.it is very rare that we actually just do a lounge. This policy gets the custys to phone us and get a couple of carpets cleaned for £50. If we didn't have the min charge in place we would struggle.... but it's working!!

markpowell

« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2008, 11:39:46 am »
You must be mowed under with work mate, you stated at 9.37 am that you had to log off cos you was so busy and you would log back on tonight. You then further post at 10.49 ans still logged on now. You need to take a break
Mark

*brightclean

« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2008, 11:39:56 am »
Just signed up 2 more monthly service agreements.

This is to show that my business plan and pricing policy is working. I post on here to pass on my idea to you cleaners who ARE struggling to make ends meat (and believe me, I suspect there is alot of you, but to embarrarrased to say).

The well known guys on here will get paid £50 - £100 per hour, but I can assure you that probably 95% of you cleaners that frequent this forum are no where earning near this amount, and the advise that they give you is often based upon their experiences only.

Fundamentally, it is you that has to decided about your business and what not to charge etc. but believe me when I had invested £8k on my first machine, stock and van etc and it wasn't going anywhere I WAS p%ssed off and I knew I had to change something or I would end up working for someone else again.

Reduce your prices to as low as you feel you can go (the lower the better) BUT
you must have a min charge in place ie £50 - otherwise it wont work.

Try it for a couple of months and see. I couldn't cope with the demand.

Dont be fooled by what the so called experts are saying on here about pricing, dont forget they're your competitors, and they will try and tell you all the cock and bull about what you should and shouldn't do....  but remember, utimately, it's your business and if you want to make a success of it just adopt my policy!

Cheers.

*brightclean

« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2008, 11:41:21 am »
You must be mowed under with work mate, you stated at 9.37 am that you had to log off cos you was so busy and you would log back on tonight. You then further post at 10.49 ans still logged on now. You need to take a break
Mark

Mark, if you read my previous posts I EMPLOY STAFF TO WORK FOR ME. I'm in the office answering the telephone, doing paperwork and when I got time logging onto here.  You must be busy, a one man band at home this time of the day lol   ;D  ;D

kinder clean

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2008, 12:13:11 pm »
Hi Brightclean

What advertising/marketing do you use?

Cheers Paul

maxcarpets

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2008, 12:20:21 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to suck eggs please?

gwrightson

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2008, 12:39:08 pm »

not knocking primark,
they do have some exellent buys  , if you want some , socks underwear ect, I have bpought on many occasions.
but, a big but , if i want some thing decent I go to a shop that sells Strellson, or Boss  ok paying a little over the odds, but its nice to know your wearing a bit of quality ;D

what was thats word ? Oh yes Quality.

You stick to your price seekers, minging carpets that your attracting .if your happy fair enough, or maybe its just you cannot attract decent prices and had to go down the road you have gone ?

and do you really think that sending out guys on minimum wage , or cash in hand perhaps :-\ are going to care what sort of job they do ? I doubt it, and if you believe that   then you are kidding your self.

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

markpowell

« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2008, 01:18:19 pm »
Yes your right i am a one man band with one van to run 1 machine to keep serviced, no holiday pay to shell out. I dont have to worry about my staff not doing the same quality of work which i demand all the time and i charge a decent price and all the money goes into my pocket at the end of the week, oh and i only work Mon - Thurs. ;D ;D
Forgot to ask Brightclean do you actually exist, i have done a full search of the business directories in Coventry and you dont seem to show up anywhere, think Mike was right we have a wind up merchant on our hands.
Mark

*brightclean

« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2008, 03:40:23 pm »
Hi Brightclean

What advertising/marketing do you use?

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul, We only do internet direct advertising, leaflet drops (in the thousands), and mobile phone text advertising which works extremely well.

not knocking primark,
they do have some exellent buys , if you want some , socks underwear ect, I have bpought on many occasions.
but, a big but , if i want some thing decent I go to a shop that sells Strellson, or Boss ok paying a little over the odds, but its nice to know your wearing a bit of quality ;D

what was thats word ? Oh yes Quality.

You stick to your price seekers, minging carpets that your attracting .if your happy fair enough, or maybe its just you cannot attract decent prices and had to go down the road you have gone ?

and do you really think that sending out guys on minimum wage , or cash in hand perhaps :-\ are going to care what sort of job they do ? I doubt it, and if you believe that then you are kidding your self.

geoff

1. We do do a thorough and professional clean, everytime. Not all our customers are lower earners, in fact its about half and half at the moment, alot live in afleunt areas and we have a couple of celebrities on our books.

2. Our staff work extremely hard, are reliable, positive and have been fully trained. I or I disagreeistant telephone a customer the day after we have attended their property to ensure that they are happy/pleased with the work we have carried out. There are, on some occasions, the need for a second visit as the custy is not happy, we accept this and re-clean, but that doesn't happen very often. So, we dont just send anyone out on a minmum wage who in your words 'doesn't care what they are doing', they are fully trained professionals who love what they do. We have checks and balances in place to ensure good customer service.

Yes your right i am a one man band with one van to run 1 machine to keep serviced, no holiday pay to shell out. I dont have to worry about my staff not doing the same quality of work which i demand all the time and i charge a decent price and all the money goes into my pocket at the end of the week, oh and i only work Mon - Thurs. ;D ;D
Forgot to ask Brightclean do you actually exist, i have done a full search of the business directories in Coventry and you dont seem to show up anywhere, think Mike was right we have a wind up merchant on our hands.
Mark

We do exist, thats for sure, and I am pleased that you are making your business work for. If thats all you want in life or out of your business thats fine, but I always wanted a little more....

Our pricing policy and business plan works very well for us, by sharing it on here I thought I would be helping other cleaners generate more income for themselves, I'm certainly not here to offend.

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2008, 03:53:06 pm »
If trained then by who???????

Come on tell us where your really from
And if your so busy going by the time on your post and the quantity of them why you been on here all day ?/?????

Oh yeah "YOUR OTHER CLEANERS DO ALL THE WORK"
1. AM NOT KNOCKING YOU I JUST THINK YOU HAVE TIME ON YOUR HAND AND YOUR ON TO WIND UP ........

as for your prices yeah it can be done but not with you on here all day !!!!
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

*brightclean

« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2008, 04:00:04 pm »
If trained then by who???????

Come on tell us where your really from
And if your so busy going by the time on your post and the quantity of them why you been on here all day ?/?????

Oh yeah "YOUR OTHER CLEANERS DO ALL THE WORK"
1. AM NOT KNOCKING YOU I JUST THINK YOU HAVE TIME ON YOUR HAND AND YOUR ON TO WIND UP ........

as for your prices yeah it can be done but not with you on here all day !!!!

Are people really dum on here. I only registered on here a few days ago and posted last night as I wanted advise about extracta. This is the first day I've actually spent on here, only because I'm working in the office, you certainly wont see me on here after 5pm tonight or for the rest of the week as I am on the front line tom (we have a massive job on). I can feel a little bit of jealousy creeping in here by some of you one man banders   ;D   ;D

Our staff are trained by prochem.

Why cant I achieve what Im doing by sitting at my desk on my laptop on here, as well as answering telephones and doing paperwork?? Some people are beyond me. There are people in this world who will only work for someone else or will earn very little by themselves, thats life and you're probably one of them. Think BIG and you'll earn BIG, learn to think outside of 'the box'.

Mike Halliday

Re: my prices New
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2008, 04:04:06 pm »
and with that excellent reply we'll call it a day on this thread, I believe everything has been said within the topic.

mike