*paul_moss

Internet cleaning sites do we give to much away
« on: February 23, 2008, 08:50:20 pm »
Regarding Spencers web site rapeing, it got me wondering, do we give too much info away free to people on these type of sites.
We all like to help each other out,but I often see lots of people come onto the site,not to contribute, but just to use the info to their own ends.

So do we give too much away free???
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Re: Internet cleaning sites do we give to much away
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:57:50 pm »
So do we give too much away free???

Yes and no is the answer to this.
Yes we do risk losing some our 'own' potential business by saying how we do something and how much we charge.
Now on the other hand
How are those serious about our industry going to discuss things unless we have a closed shop for the selected few.
I have always warned people on this and other sites about disclosing how much they charge/earn, never moreso than on the window cleaning side of things where cash payments make up the majority of payments. The problem there are people laying themselves open to an IR inspection when they read some of the things stated on open forums.

Mark Roberts

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:45:35 pm »
Totally agree Paul, but what do you do, if we all stop giving then you dont have much to talk about which is the point of the forum. Thats the trouble with the internet, you can learn a lot for free I guess, but raping Spencer is pretty lame for sure.

spencer davies

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 04:34:22 pm »
I think the majority of people on a forum like this are genuine people, its a numbers game, sooner or later a donut will come along and try to spoil things for others.

On the funny side, I had really hilarious messages and texts from all around the world, people were splitting their sides with laughter when they had seen Marks little alterations and comments.   :D

Regards

S

martin19842

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 05:11:35 pm »
hi there

there is an argument that your website is an extension of your marketng material.

therefore you put on it what you are comfortable with.

however the point of marketing is to create an interest, a call to action from the potential client irrespective of the product or service they wish to purchase.

therefore if you put your prices on display, that could turn off a potential client befoe you get chance to talk to them.

the idea being to generate open questions on the marketing material,

and then for you to sell your products and services when the client makes the contact,  at this point you then have the chance to explain in more detail the features and benefits of your services, the chance to explain further what the customer is getting for their money.

you may not be the cheapest in the world, but when you talk to your potential customer then you can close the sale.

therefore only put on your website and other marketting material the information that you are happy with.

regards

martin

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 08:26:10 pm »
The idea of a Forum is to share information.

If you do not want to share it do not post.

Some of you establish a reputation in the industry as the man to ask.

martin19842

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 08:52:51 pm »
hi there

i must agree with Ian,  we are all sensible people, i subscribe to several forums, not purely relating to cleaning, but also other business interests/activities. 

i must say though, that this forum seems to maintain a level of decorum, and professionalism.

with regards to the sharing of information.

each subscriber, makes a conscious decision about what information they wish to share, and to whom they enter into conversation.

and therefore you mke and decide what you do

regards

martin

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 07:57:24 am »
Im trying to learn about Ebay

Although i do not have the time

I have joined a Forum run by top Ebayers  but it costs.

I was also on a US cleaning site which supplied weekly talks podcasts etc again that costs. 

I also belong to another Forum where you have to be vetted to join non cleaning related, only 20 members gets boaring after a time .

On an open Forum you never know who is going to turn up

Some come some go some stay its the churn that keeps it Fresh

*paul_moss

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 07:14:26 pm »
Ian you must pay out a fortune each year  ::)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL