*paul_moss

Strange at the moment
« on: November 06, 2007, 04:30:19 pm »
Been running a week or so in front as normal this year but its gone really strange this week. Now last Nov was my busiest month so last week I had 15000 leaflets delivered and this week 12000 are going out.
Last week and up to today only had 3 calls from the 15000 leaflets, and today got 2 calls from them, but they are all PRICE SHOPPERS  ::) ::).

Got a few booking for the back end of Nov but still nothing for Dec yet last year I had about 10 booked in for Dec a this time.

This game is really strange.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Neil Mc Anulty

Re: Strange at the moment
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 05:31:59 pm »
Paul aswell as seasons we have to deal with slowdowns in other economies. At the minute Ireland is experiencing bad times in the construction industry so this rolls on to "luxury services" that we provide.
i believe it is also harder to obtain credit this past while so we have to go back to the old fashioned saving all the pennies for christmas.

Cheers

Ian Rochester

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 05:36:41 pm »
Paul,

If you'd posted this yesterday I would have totally agreed with you, like you, I've been working about a week ahead without really over exerting myself.

I said to my better half this morning that the calls were not coming in a thick as I remembered last year.

However, today I have just counted up that I have booked in 18 jobs today alone and there have been several price requests as well.

Just looked at my mobile and last number retrieval only goes back as far as 11:37am today (20 calls)

I still have plenty of spaces but there are jobs booked in for every week up to christmas, one of the calls today, a vicarage, wants her carpets done on Saturday 22nd December after 1pm as she has a childrens party on in the morning!  That WILL be my last job before the shutdown!

Mike Roper

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 09:22:07 pm »
I really think were heading ,if not already in a big resession. Its quiet , too quiet!!
Time to tighten your belts , stream line your business and you'll sail through it.
Mike

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 09:30:47 pm »
saw this on the ICS site and thought its quite applicable

the hot dog seller

THE MAN WHO SOLD HOT DOGS

THERE WAS A MAN WHO LIVED BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND SOLD HOT DOGS.

HE WAS HARD OF HEARING SO HE HAD NO RADIO.

HE HAD TROUBLE WITH HIS EYES SO HE READ NO NEWSPAPERS.

BUT HE SOLD GOOD HOT DOGS.

HE PUT UP SIGNS ON THE HIGHWAY TELLING HOW GOOD THEY WERE.

HE STOOD ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND CRIED; "BUY A HOT DOG, MISTER?

AND PEOPLE BOUGHT.

HE INCREASED HIS MEAT AND BUN ORDERS.

HE BOUGHT A BIGGER STOVE TO TAKE CARE OF HIS TRADE.

HE FINALLY GOT HIS SON HOME FROM COLLEGE TO HELP HIM OUT.

BUT THEN SOMETHING HAPPENED.

HIS SON SAID, "FATHER, HAVEN'T YOU BEEN LISTENING TO THE RADIO?

HAVEN'T YOU BEEN READING THE NEWSPAPERS?

THERE'S A BIG DEPRESSION.

THE EUROPEAN SITUATION IS TERRIBLE.

THE DOMESTIC SITUATION IS WORSE."

WHERE UPON THE FATHER THOUGHT, "WELL, MY SON'S BEEN TO COLLEGE, HE READS THE PAPERS AND HE LISTENS TO THE RADIO, AND HE OUGHT TO KNOW."

SO THE FATHER CUT DOWN ON HIS MEAT AND BUN ORDERS, TOOK DOWN HIS ADVERTISING SIGNS, AND NO LONGER BOTHERED TO STAND OUT ON THE HIGHWAY TO SELL HIS HOT DOGS.

AND HIS HOT DOG SALES FELL ALMOST OVERNIGHT.

"YOU'RE RIGHT, SON" THE FATHER SAID TO THE BOY.

"WE CERTINAILY ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A GREAT DEPRESSION."

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Damian

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 09:36:31 pm »
Amen Mike!! Tell it like it is.

Damian.
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

*paul_moss

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:39:35 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

As usual Mr Halliday comes up trumps.

Mike what is the response like from your leather add in yellow pages?
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 09:55:46 pm »
crap, 'KING OF LEATHER'  brings in a job every 2 week on average, so over the year I would expect 25 jobs @ £120 

from an advert costing £1200

not so crap now I've actually wrote it down

'ABIGALE'  4 jobs in 3 month  cost £800

'HENRY HALLIDAY & SON LTD' 2 jobs a week cost £2200

Mike

homecare

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 09:59:16 pm »
paul..like you on bookings,plenty of jobs until the 18th of nov,then nothing else yet. LAST YEAR  had  bookings for dec at this point in time<funny old buissness were in.

*paul_moss

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 10:06:31 pm »
Mike
King of leather sounds too ponsey, but at 5 to 1 return thats not to bad.
I have just done some new full colour leaflets with a different slant as usual.They have the carpet cleaning on one side and leather on the other, it is more pictures than text just to see if pictures speak better,I will email you a copy tomorrow as there on the other computer.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 11:18:24 pm »
I like this 'other computer' thing, I'm going out for tea tomorrow with my other wife! actually that sounds crap as the 1st one won't let me ;D

any chance of that leaflet for me Mossy?

shaun_ashmore@lineone.net

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 07:23:09 am »
Paul I think king of leather is a good ad, it a square quarter page on the top right. I just don't know why it doesn't bring in more work, its the only advert solely based on leather, I would have thought anyone who is looking for leather cleaning would chose this advert.

its closer to 3-1 which I don't think is enough for every  £120 I earn  £40 is paying for the advert. With leaflets I get approx 8-1

Mike

ps I've changed ISP so I'll send you a blank email  for you to reply to.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 07:47:54 am »
Hi Guys

I've been really consistent all year , about a week ahead.

As I hardly advertise apart from  a big internet presence I think this is down to quoting on an as need basis.

By this I mean where is it, what is it, do I want it,  which will all affect the price and how I sell it.

I haven't advertised into Christmas for many years as I don't want to be exhausted come the big day.

Cheers

Doug

*paul_moss

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 04:57:01 pm »
Is it me or is anybody else getting lots of price shoppers at the moment,had another 6 today  :o
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

maxcarpets

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 06:03:01 pm »
Had a lady call earlier asked how much for a single bedroom I said our min charge of £35 she said OH NO THANKS & put the phone Down?

jeff1966

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 06:35:26 pm »
Paul,would you hire a plumber to fix your toliet not knowing what is charge was? I would,nt. Most people want the best deal possible even though they might not get a better service.You were price shopping  when your hand tool packed in,£45 I think you said  someone quoted you, in the end you paid £15. If your hand tool falls apart in a couple of months you'd wish you paid £45.
                            you tight Welsh git  :-X

*paul_moss

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 07:24:29 pm »
 ;D ;D
Jeff
The point I was making on the hand tool is that I only needed the end reclipping and was not wanting to buy the whole new kit.

Re price shoppers I dont mind them as there are markets for both high and low cleans,again the point I was making was im getting lots more lately.

I must look cheaper, think its knocking around with you lot  ;D
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

lands

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 07:40:33 pm »
Perhaps its the company name Paul. Who ever has moss cleaned (removed more like). Sorry thats poor but feel like contributing some humour (even if it is not that funny)

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 09:44:45 pm »
Is it me or is anybody else getting lots of price shoppers at the moment,had another 6 today  :o

Ditto. Much quieter than this time last year on new customers.
Having spoken to several builders there is a bit of a mini recession going on.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 09:57:27 pm »
From my experience a general election would have been great for business as it seems to get teh country going again, When Labour won for the first time in Yonks 1996 my telephone went 'off the hook' people were euphoric, let's prey for an early election perhaps who ever gets in will push the 'telephone go daft' button not the economy button ;D

Shaun