*paul_moss

ph tester
« on: August 25, 2004, 07:26:20 pm »
Does any body know where the best place is to buy a PH tester.

What type of tester is the best to buy ?

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Glynn

Re: ph tester
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 07:48:52 pm »
Regards
Glynn

Dynafoam

Re: pH tester
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 08:16:46 pm »
Paul,

The Hanna meter Glynn directed you to is an excellent instrument but is only suitable for immersion testing.

The same unit can be bought from Prochem at  nearly double the price.

If you order one, don't forget the sachets of pH 7.01 and either the high or low pH buffer solutions you will require for calibration.

Once the instrument is calibrated get a bottle of distilled water, check and record its pH and you can then  in future use this for the neutral range setting. similarly some acid rinse concentrate can be used of the low-range calibration. this will save you having to purchase further supplies of buffer from Hanna.

John.

Neil Gott

Re: ph tester
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 11:55:26 pm »
Good advice from John, and don't forget to switch the thing off after use. I have learnt the hard way twice and had flat batteries (not expensive - I think Maplins do them).

Re. calibration, I used to get my knickers in a twist worrying about two places of decimals. I am not advocating sloppiness, but I now settle for an 'as near as dammit' reading.

I do find a pH meter easier to read than pH papers which I sometimes have peered at for ages trying to work out what they are saying, if anything at all.
Neil Gott     Southampton U.K.

www.neilgott.co.uk