Helen

Re: just men
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 08:09:55 pm »
[quote author=robert meldrum link=topic=107083.msg911040#msg911040 date=1282299417

Bobbie dear, I think you are geting a little confused between structured working and multi tasking, the latter of which you menfolk think you do, but ain't a patch on us women

Well how come Helen, women can't drive and touch up their make up at the same time ? - just saying  ;) ;D

Are you saying that men can  ??? ;D ;D

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 08:21:10 pm »
I do mine before I leave the house  ;D

Sarah Kirby

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 08:52:36 pm »
There ARE a few women who run c/c businesses / work in c/c businesses / work with their husbands / partners as carpet cleaners. One of the most successful carpet cleaners on here is a young woman ( alhough she allowed herself to be influenced by men on here ) and has subsequently lost her way. Hopefully temporarily.

My wife worked with me a few years ago and we worked very well together.

Strange thing about women is their inability or unwillingness to work in a structured  way while leaning which can result in a lack of uniformity in finish.

They work as hard and can achieve the same results but tend to be less systematic in their approach.

Im just setting up too but admittedly not on my own, lets hope I'll manage to put the sugar, tea and milk (or should that be milk, sugar, tea?) in the cup in the right order while the significant other does the heavy stuff!  :P

Joking aside, Im learning alot from this forum, especially that a sense of humour is a must  :)

Dean Wilson

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 09:28:19 pm »

There is nothing stopping women being perfectly successful in this industry.  Only interesting thing on this is when myself anf my wife were setting up I came up with the idea of calling the business "Sarah's Carpet Care" (wife's name), on the basis that people would flock to a female-branded carpet cleaning company (even though I'd be doing 90% of the cleaning  :o ).

However when I done my market research, a LOT of people (mostly women I must honestly add) said they'd choose a different company, in fear that carpet cleaning was a heavy, physically demanding process, and a women may not be able to get as good results, or might use lighter duty equipment !!!!!!

I personally think that's a load of tosh but people aren't always so "right on" when it comes to spending their money.

zoe humble

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 09:39:03 pm »
Dean, you are probably right I can imagine that.  The other thing is.... a lot of women prefer having their hair done by a man (hairdressers I am talking here!)  human nature to some extent.  I'll just lower my voice on the phone.. hehe

Colin Day

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 09:57:46 pm »
There are a couple of ladies run a successful carpet cleaning business down here.. "Cleanher Carpets"

Dean Wilson

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 10:01:23 pm »

'The Carpet Nurse' would be a good name for a female operated CC business.

robert meldrum

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 10:51:00 pm »
While you're looking I suggest you take a look at the L/M thread and take on board the comments..............

fitz2kleen

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 11:50:33 pm »
Well all i can say is..... i am a fully qualified carpet cleaner and fire and flood technician, have been for many years.
My partner in life and business joined the same company i worked and trained in.... and as well as his training course , he was sent out with ME for on the job training.
As for why its mostly men .... probably one of the reasons is it is very physical and men tend to be stronger.
I dont do much in the way of actual carpet cleaning now, there isnt anything my partner does that i havent done myself, but i do know every aspect of the job when taking calls and discussing with clients etc.
We make a great team in running our business and im not sure we would if i hadnt been hands on in the past.

Trena (definately ALL WOMAN)  ;D

zoe humble

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 08:10:31 pm »
While you're looking I suggest you take a look at the L/M thread and take on board the comments..............

what does L/M refer to ?

Colin Day

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 08:23:45 pm »
"Low Moisture" as in using a pad and buffing machine Zoe... Very effective and aimed at mainly commercial, low profile carpets!

zoe humble

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 08:43:21 pm »
ah thank you I sort of guessed it might mean that.  There is a whole lot of jargon on this site. 

colin thomas

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2010, 08:44:12 pm »
when i first started carpet cleaning my wife used to come out and help me on weekends, she would pre-spray and i would do the other. many a time i would be prepared to pack up and go and she would say 'you have'nt finished yet, there is a bit there that needs another go' or 'i can still see a spot of something over there', she used to drive me mad but it led to me believing that women have different eyes to us men and it made me much more observant and critical of my work. i still hate it if the man of the house is the only one there, he will ALWAYS say, yes, that's fine mate but i dread the lady coming home and seeing anything i might have missed!!

colin
colin thomas