joe.b

sanding block paving in rain
« on: May 07, 2007, 02:10:37 pm »
hey all i was wondering if you can still re sand the paving if its raining, or how heavy has it got to be to not sand, and after powerwashing its still going to be wet isnt it??

thanks, gota job on tomorrow that i cant really move

TVCS

Re: sanding block paving in rain
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 04:16:23 pm »
I personally would not  re-sand in the rain.  You may be able to but I cant see the sand getting in between the blocks as well if it is all wet and lumpy.   Don't get me wrong, I don't claim to be an expert as I've only done a couple of block paving cleans in my time but I have always been lucky enough to have done them in the gloriuos sunshine.  Clean early in the morning and after the sun has been on the area for most of the day then re sand.
I will watch this thread with great interest as I have a large area of block s to clean in the next week or two.
Ant
TVCS
Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

steve k

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 07:34:12 pm »
no you cannot...the sand will get wet and just sit in big mushy lumps all over the blocks...dont even try :o

Liahona

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 10:17:29 pm »
I second what steve has said.  Under no circumstances should you re-sand in the rain.  Nor should you just after you have power-washed.

In a perfect world the "blocks" should be left to dry for quite a few days before attempting to sand.  The blocks will appear dry but the inbetween will still be wet for days.

I cant remember if there is a time guideline for this or not but I always leave them to dry for at least a week, two if I can.

Best, Dave.

joe.b

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 11:20:26 pm »
will they be ok for driving on in between say a weeks time?

thanks for the info

Liahona

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:59:20 pm »
In theory yes, you shouldnt have removed that much to make a difference to the client driving on them.

Best, Dave.

steve k

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 07:06:50 am »
24 hours is fine if no rain within that 24 hours...the only area that needs to be dry is the area you have removed sand from...this is to allow the kiln sand to run freely into the gaps...it literally pours into the gaps.

Cars should keep off unsanded blocks...the sand is helping to stabilise the blocks...no sand - no stability!!!

keith b

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 04:54:28 pm »
Steve k and dave are quite correct, the sand needs to be dry and loose to sweep into the gaps in the blocks.

Plus, don`t even think about sealing the paving blocks unless you get hot weather for a week or so, otherwise they will go milky white in colour!