Mike Halliday

Conservatory roof cleaning
« on: December 24, 2014, 08:50:17 am »
I bought a full WFP system a few months ago, is this capable of cleaning green, horrible conservatory roof inc the apex?

Or should I be buying a big set of step ladders and getting up their and scrubbing it.

I know they are all different, but is a roof clean a full mornings work or can they be cleaned quite quickly with the right equipment and a bit of practice
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Smudger

Re: Conservatory roof cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 09:01:40 am »
You should be able to clean the majority of conny roofs with wfp. Sometimes when access is tight you will benefit from splitting a 3m double so you can climb up above the gutter line, this is a personal preference as I find the angle better to clean and it's faster - WFP will remove all that green and black, but we always g101 as it speeds up the whole process. Lichen can be hard work, there are various ways to tackle this,

Check with customer with glass roofs, if self cleaning no chemicals!

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 02:36:14 pm »
Lightly soiled you may get away with wfp, depends what level of service your offering, for a deep clean you may need to apply creams and solvents around trims Etc, We use platforms for access as its far safer than ladders. Time depends on size / shape access etc, we have cleaned some within a few hrs others over a few days  ;).
Always carry out a survey, charge accordingly

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 03:02:39 pm »

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 04:17:21 pm »
I hate the finials. They can be fragile.

Blast Away

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 04:57:20 pm »
I hate the finials. They can be fragile.

After chem, turbo nozzle low pressure gets in the nooks and crannies on them mate without blowing them off.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 07:13:07 pm »
Good tip. Cheers.

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 09:05:10 pm »
Mike, if you intend to do a lot of roofs get some conservatory ladders. Expensive but gets you up close to the finials and crestings for a deep clean . Also looks more professional . Ed
Aqua Power Solutions external property maintenance 01423 541 400 Mobile 0752 158 3240  Visit our Facebook page for examples of our work https://www.facebook.com/Aqua-Power-Solutions-332485570200950/

Kenny83

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 03:32:42 pm »
Foam the conservatory up with tfr out of a foam nozzle, you can use hypo on brown conservatories which is even better and cleans quicker! covered in solution within 30 seconds, scrub with soft conservatory cleaning brush, usually around 20 - 30 mins for a small - medium conservatory, rinse off, then check for and missed bits and finish off with a polish / solvent wipe around the ingrained areas (usually around the door steps, hinges and gutters  ;D ;D
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 04:41:38 pm »
Can you not use  hypo on white upvc?

Thanks for the advice so far, so a pair of these would be advantages?.....

http://www.extensionladdersonline.co.uk/shop/conservatory-ladders/trade-conservatory-ladder
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Griffus

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 12:02:52 am »
Virosol, and a WFP connected straight to garden tap for the grimey ones.  Rinse well afterwards with tap water and then finish with pure.   Try to keep the Virosol away from the glass as much as possible as it takes some shifting and will leave bad streaks if not completely removed.

WFP on its own with pure water will sort a few though.

Get a range of brushes, stiff through to flocked.   These two are good for connies.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODIxWDk0NQ==/$%28KGrHqZ,!ooFBsd%28QfqwBQfst8nsOg~~60_35.JPG

http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/hi-lounjettedbig.jpg

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 10:43:47 am »
you don't need to splash out for those ladders using WFP.
If your offering a cleaning service then WFP with a bit of g101/ubik/virosol etc.. Will bring up 99% of conservatories to as new condition and certainly 100% of them better than the customer was expecting or hoping for. However, if your going into restoring the conservatory then you would require these because your getting up there to hand scrub the spars, re seal spars, remove replace end caps etc...  That's a totally different service, for a restoration clean your looking at £600 minimum to make worth while for your time spent on it.

Darran

Kenny83

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 10:51:32 pm »

http://www.extensionladdersonline.co.uk/shop/conservatory-ladders/trade-conservatory-ladder

Mike, in my experience hypo on white upvc is a big no no, however on newer upvc a mild solution, say 10:1 has worked great, but I think this maybe put down to how they make it now, it must be more chemical resistant. I have done test patches on older upvc have turned them yellow!  so defo not advisable :'(
Pressure Washing -

Matt Gibson

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 08:25:43 am »
I'm with Darran. I use G101 and it works great.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 09:26:00 am »

Mike, in my experience hypo on white upvc is a big no no, however on newer upvc a mild solution, say 10:1 has worked great, but I think this maybe put down to how they make it now, it must be more chemical resistant. I have done test patches on older upvc have turned them yellow!  so defo not advisable :'(

Plus with the older ones, the rubber seals are prone to rot, so you are not going to want a hypo mix getting into the cavity etc. You can reverse the "yellowing" Kenny, Citric Acid but you have to be quick in getting it on the UPVC.

Kenny83

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 03:09:54 pm »

Plus with the older ones, the rubber seals are prone to rot, so you are not going to want a hypo mix getting into the cavity etc. You can reverse the "yellowing" Kenny, Citric Acid but you have to be quick in getting it on the UPVC.

;)
Thanks Roger
Pressure Washing -

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 09:49:19 pm »

Mike

These ladders are what we use !

Getting up close we find will achieve better results on all of the upvc  Ed
Aqua Power Solutions external property maintenance 01423 541 400 Mobile 0752 158 3240  Visit our Facebook page for examples of our work https://www.facebook.com/Aqua-Power-Solutions-332485570200950/

Matt Gibson

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 10:57:13 pm »
That ladder is awesome.

Smudger

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 12:30:19 am »
Yep nice ladders, but you don't need to get that close to get perfect results

Darran

Kevin Miller

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 09:16:35 am »
Darren I know you've talked me through this before but I've forgot. I've got a clx 22 WFP and virosol. What mixture of virosol would you suggest 1:10? How do you apply it with a brush or pressure sprayer? And how long do you leave it to dwell?