supernova77

Office Cleaning Rates
« on: April 12, 2006, 12:06:42 pm »
Hello All,

I am currently putting together a quote for a small office cleaning contract... This is our first office cleaning quotation that we have had to submit.

The client wants x4 hours per week, split between 2 mornings (out of hours on a Tuesday and Friday). They also need us to supply equipment and materials.

I have come to the figure of £60 per week. This is based on x4 hours at £12 per hour = £48 + £12 per week for materials.

Does that sound sensible?

Thanks,
Andy

Re: Office Cleaning Rates
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 01:19:19 pm »
...They also need us to supply equipment and materials.

I have come to the figure of £60 per week. This is based on x4 hours at £12 per hour = £48 + £12 per week for materials.

Does that sound sensible?...

It depends what kind of equipment and materials you would have to provide

Phoenix

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 01:30:51 pm »
I think £12.00 per hour is OK, and agree with A & J as to what equipment and materials you need to supply

D woods

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 01:56:26 pm »
Hi Guys
I think you would be very fortunate if you managed to get £12 per hour
for office cleaning .

shelton

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 02:27:19 pm »
As ever, I wouldn't let them know the number of hours or price per hour.

"It's gonna cost this much, every week."

They'll either like it or lump it.

Our rate (that we use to price jobs) doesn't differ from commercial to domestic.  We think "that'll take 3 hours per week", apply our hourly rate accordingly, multiply it up and then present the overall weekly/monthly figure to the client.

Obviously, the rate we use for this calculation is based on time, materials, staff, profit, etc .. . all rolled into one.  Then, as you get slick, it takes less time, but the cost remains constant, thereby increasing your hourly rate (if you want to think of it that way).

Works for us anyway.

;D

*Chris Browne

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 02:29:01 pm »
Hi Guys
I think you would be very fortunate if you managed to get £12 per hour
for office cleaning .

Why????

chris

supernova77

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 03:56:01 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far :)

The type of materials would be toilet rolls, washing up liquid, bin bags, black sacks etc...

Andy

D woods

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 04:02:06 pm »
Hi Chris
I know many office cleaning contractors , and they aim to get £9.50 per hour.
They very rarely get more than £10 per hour

supernova77

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 04:08:00 pm »
Hi D Woods,

From my extensive research though a lot of contract cleaning companies charge more for smaller offices. I know of one company local to me who charge £15 per hour, and they are never short of work!

Andy

*Chris Browne

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 04:23:05 pm »
We charge £12.00  to £13.00 depending on location and we have more work than we can cope with ;)

chris

D woods

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 05:09:57 pm »
Hi Guys
I am talking about central London . Dont know if its the same in the rest of the UK.

Paul Kettless

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 05:34:19 pm »
We charge £12.00 to £13.00 depending on location and we have more work than we can cope with ;)

chris

Thats amazing really, and linked to another post that I have just commented on, the pricing has to be based to the area which you live in.  No way could I charge that sort of money, and if I did I would not get a single job.  Most of my competitiors charges 9 to 10 pounds, the only way I can sell my company better than others is on service delivery.  The cowboys round these parts are doing it for just over minimum wage, I really dont know how they stay in business.
Complete Cleaning "you really can tell the difference"

*Chris Browne

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 06:39:14 pm »
I agree, it does really depend on what area you cover,  and also what rate you pay your staff(i pay well over the minimum wage, this helps to get better and more reliable peeps! ) my charge also includes all materials and equipment, although i charge for t.rolls, paper hand towels etc, i also provide  linen once a week (which i charge extra for) £12 may seem a lot but you must take in to consideration, h.pay,  N.i, admin, petrol, supervision, cleaning materials, depreciation of equipment, insurance...etc...etc...it all mounts up ;)

chris

Paul Kettless

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 06:51:28 pm »
True Chris, but what you must also take into accounts is that I have to pay almost exactly the same costs as you, for all the items that you have mentioned, yet  we have to do it 2-3 cheaper.

Not that I am saying that we are better/cheaper than you, only that we have no choice, as the market decides our prices.

I can only assume that the main differences between us have to be wages paid to staff, and gross profit :-\
Complete Cleaning "you really can tell the difference"

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 05:03:49 pm »
Some interesting posts here! For your ten to 15 pounds an hour what sort of area do you cover? Square feet!?

Prestige1

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 09:37:07 pm »
Very interesting how people determine their hourly rate and the reasons behind it. I just would be unable to survive if I charged less then £12 per hour my average is £14 per plus vat of course. My business is in a cash rich area but there are loads of cleaning companies doing the same as me charging a lot less. for example today I visited a couple who wanted 2hrs per week my charge was 28 plus vat for 2 girls 1hr. he had already been quoted by 2 other companies 1 charged £22 no vat the other £25 no vat, after explain to him about our service he told me he will think about it. We got a call today 4.30 he had chosen our service because his words (was more professional). I have said this before, my accountant said to me "not all business is good business) in other words don’t undervalue your service, I follow this rule always. Fill your books first keep everyone busy then adjust prices as new jobs come on board. Kind regards Phil
Who Dares Wins

lynngc

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 10:31:57 pm »
i charge £18 per hour,
using my own cleaning materials, equipment, supplying 1 toilet roll, black bags, waste bin liners.

think this is the going rate  down my area

lynn ;D
lynn @ gower cleaning services, swansea.

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 11:49:30 pm »
Think ill move to Swansea!

cd5000

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 07:14:38 am »
£12.00 IS OK, THATS WHAT I CHARGE

STEVE
TWYFORD CLEANING SERVICES

lynngc

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 08:32:29 am »
my little motto to my clients is:

buy cheap buy often.  spend a few extra pennys and we will see you right.

my clients turn away cheap and chearfuls, my service is hard to match.

lynn ;D
lynn @ gower cleaning services, swansea.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 10:10:10 am »
i charge £18 per hour,
using my own cleaning materials, equipment, supplying 1 toilet roll, black bags, waste bin liners.

think this is the going rate  down my area

lynn ;D

I'm very surprised to read that others do it for far less than you.  I was doing a PAYE job for a company who charged about the same as you (in the southeast).  I know because I saw their memo to the company when they increased the price a few months back.  The customer also had to pay for extra materials sometimes because the materials in the basic quote were insufficient.  However, they (and I) did lose the job recently.  I've no idea if it was a pricing issue or not though.

MrsMeredith

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 07:58:11 am »
I recently did my first quotation for a small office clean @£13 per hr. They currently have a cleaner who is supposed to clean for 2 hours every week but they have found out that she skives off early after 30mins and does not clean consistantly,,,,,,,,i was shocked when i went to quote,,,there was dust and filth everywhere ! But my motto is if you pay peanuts you get a monkey and thye pay this cleaner just £6 per hr,,,,,,,so she cannot be bothered and sneaks off and still gets her pay,,,,,,,,say no more.

Tracey.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 08:33:41 am »
I recently did my first quotation for a small office clean @£13 per hr. They currently have a cleaner who is supposed to clean for 2 hours every week but they have found out that she skives off early after 30mins and does not clean consistantly,,,,,,,,i was shocked when i went to quote,,,there was dust and filth everywhere ! But my motto is if you pay peanuts you get a monkey and thye pay this cleaner just £6 per hr,,,,,,,so she cannot be bothered and sneaks off and still gets her pay,,,,,,,,say no more.

Tracey.

I was surprised to read these sort of hourly rates because I'm used to charging double that £13 P.H. (and sometimes more) for window cleaning.  I suspect that the difference is that office cleaning companies tend to employ people and take a profit from each job whereas, with window cleaning,  am a sole trader.  Of course most office cleaners are only employed for a few hours each week and often don't make the N.I. threshhold so saving some cost.

cleanall

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 05:31:09 pm »
You really want to adopt a measure ment system such as that from i-Clean to standardise and professionalise your approach.

BSF

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 05:38:04 pm »
Are you on commission ;D
Regards

BSF

Perry

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 07:12:35 pm »
Cleanall

I was hoping that you will miss this topic. Shame on you boy

mfloresclean

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 07:10:02 pm »
here in phoenix arizona I charge 15.00 per hour my minimum is 30.00 then add in cost for supplys like paper product set a budget for customer like 150.00 this would cover soap,paper products, urinal cakes depending a much products they go thru this is how I place my bids

Marigold

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 08:12:09 pm »
Hi,
I've just been asked to quote for a doctors surgery.  They want 8 hours per evening.  They are paying their current cleaners £6.50 per hour 5 days per week because they are paying them directly, but they're getting a terrible service.  I want to quote for this properly but I'm really worried to overprice it.  What's the absolute minimum I should go for?  All help would be really appreciated.

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 03:48:38 pm »
Is that 8 hours per night or 8 hrs per week? If it's the former it must be a big surgery!!! I charge £15.00 per hour to include all labour, materials and equipment. Consumables ie. toilet rolls, bin liners etc are carged for extra.

Julie Board

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 07:08:26 pm »
We charge £30 per hour for 2 cleaners and we are inundated with work.  Some clients even provide their own equipment!

BSF

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 09:00:39 pm »
Is that 8 hours per night or 8 hrs per week? If it's the former it must be a big surgery!!! I charge £15.00 per hour to include all labour, materials and equipment. Consumables ie. toilet rolls, bin liners etc are carged for extra.
We charge £30 per hour for 2 cleaners and we are inundated with work. Some clients even provide their own equipment!

Yes but try charging that on a large contract, your quote would go straight in the bin ;D

Regards

BSF
Regards

BSF

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 07:48:09 am »
Sorry, I don't agree with that statement. I have some big contracts and they are willing to pay £15.00 per hour, providing you put yourself across right.

D woods

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 08:44:43 am »
Hi Karlno
You say you have some big contracts that pay you £15 per hour for office cleaning. Can I ask what you consider a big contract ?

BSF

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 04:47:54 pm »
Sorry, I don't agree with that statement. I have some big contracts and they are willing to pay £15.00 per hour, providing you put yourself across right.

Dont you mean put something in their drink ;D
Regards

BSF

BSF

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 09:47:51 pm »

Come on Karl, let us in to your secret, how can you charge £15 per hour for a large contract, because if I could I would be  very very rich.... ;D

what size of contract  (hours weekly) have you got away with charging so much for?

Regards

BSF

Regards

BSF

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 10:17:10 pm »
Hi Bsf
Look at my website at www.cleantechcleaning.co.uk for some of our clients. karl

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 10:33:50 pm »
Hi, one of the contracts is for four hours a night - 5 days aweek. I don't know about your area but here in Sussex we have to pay part-time staff at least £7.00 per hour so if you put cleaning material etc plus profit you can see why we have to charge £15 p/h.

BSF

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 10:41:57 pm »
Karl 20 hour's per week isnt a big contract, I can just about get away with charging around £12 per hour for 20 hours weekly, if you quoted on a 50hr weekly contract it would be a totally different ball game, 100hrs you'd be down to around £7.50 per hour maximum.

Regards

BSF
Regards

BSF

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 10:44:06 pm »
What size of company are you then. Do you have a website?

BSF

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 11:00:14 pm »
Karl, Yes we do have a website, my company is big enough to be able to charge £7.50 per hour for cleaning services and make a good profit.

Regards

BSF 
Regards

BSF

shelton

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 11:02:47 pm »
Here we go - it's another "medals on the table" moment.

I had hoped that this sort of thing would be a distant memory when CMS scooted off, but I was obviously wrong.

Personally, I don't find it a difficult concept to understand that a contract can be big to someone and small to someone else.  What I do find difficult to understand is this ridiculous posturing that seems to take place every other post.

I suggest that this particular thread has run it's course.

::)

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 11:23:26 pm »
Hi BSF
Whats your web address would be good to see a learn from other companies. Regards Karl

BSF

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 11:41:12 pm »
Karl

I choose not to advertise my company on this forum for many reasons.

Dont listen to Shelton, no bravado meant,  my post wasnt meaning to put you down in any way Karl or boast about how big my company is, I'm just telling you how it is, big contracts get the service cheaper, 20hrs isnt a big contract.

Regards

BSF
Regards

BSF

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 11:51:10 pm »
Hi BSF
This is what these forums are for. I agree with Sheldon in the respect that to some companies 20hrs is a big contract. We are a relatively young company who is always looking to listen and learn from others. So all points of view are taken on board so if you have any words of wisdom then we will take them onboard and learn.
Regards Karl.
p.s if you want to send your website address to our email (FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE) it would be good to view it.
Regards
Karl

BSF

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2006, 12:17:06 am »
Hi BSF
This is what these forums are for. I agree with Sheldon in the respect that to some companies 20hrs is a big contract. We are a relatively young company who is always looking to listen and learn from others. So all points of view are taken on board so if you have any words of wisdom then we will take them onboard and learn.
Regards Karl.
p.s if you want to send your website address to our email (FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE) it would be good to view it.
Regards
Karl

Karl, take what I have said on board then, if you want your company to grow, get the idea of charging £15 per hour for big contracts out of your head, because you cant, they are my words of wisdom for you, take it on board instead of trying to disagree with me.

Why would it be good to see my website? 

Regards

BSF

Regards

BSF

D woods

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2006, 08:04:59 am »
Hi BSF
I would like to see your website, as I imagine it will be very good.

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2006, 08:12:30 am »
Hi BSF
It would be good to see your website to see how a large cleaning company professionally portrays it self. Words of wisdom taken onboard.
Regards
Karl

shelton

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2006, 09:05:33 am »
I agree - we can only learn from those who have mde it to the top of the tree.

And isn't this what this board is all about - helping, etc?

Prestige1

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2006, 11:43:45 am »
Yes I to would like to see your website. I am sure we could all learn somthing from you.
Who Dares Wins

Prestige1

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2006, 11:57:11 am »
I disagree with the statement of forgetting the £15 per hour; if you can portrait a reputable company with quality and reliability at its core you can secure contracts large and small. After all why pay £40,000 for a Porsche why not pay £10,000 for a fiat? After all their both cars. In my opinion large companies want a quality service all the time just like the small companies, there will always be those who want it on the cheap but these companies just chop and change cleaning companies all the time, waste of time in my opinion. I don't want spend all my time and effort chasing jobs with loads of hassle for little return. But then my biggest job is only 60hrs a week Mon -Fri kind regards Phil
Who Dares Wins

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2006, 12:07:03 pm »
Hi Phil
I agee to a certain extent, if you provide the right services, quality and reliability, then most customers will be prepared to pay.I realise this can be dependant on the area of the country you work within. I can only speak from my experience , being a relative young company i have not had to many problems securing the £15 P/H contract and i get about 80% of the work quoted for. But then my biggest contract is only 30hrs a week.So maybe, I will find if i get to quote for the bigger contracts in time my opion will differ.
Karl

shelton

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2006, 01:07:39 pm »
The other thing I'm surprised about is, at that sort of level, it's possible to work it out on the number of hours a job is going to take.

100+ hours a week - what sort of formula can you use to estimate that?

Very interested to know how to take my company to the next level.

D woods

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2006, 02:36:43 pm »
Hi Shelton
Most big cleaning jobs (100 hours or more) will usually let you know
how many cleaners they have on the job, for example if they have 12
cleaners a day each working 2 hours a shift you can work the hours out.

In my experience you would be very hard pushed to get £8.50 per hour
for this sort of work, £15 per hour is just fantasy.

Prestige1

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2006, 02:57:08 pm »
I have a clear business plan, and it does not include low prices, its true you can make money on 100 hrs at £8.50 but to manage that contract takes to much for so little return. Not all business is good business. I found that out the hard way. my advise would be to build your business on jobs that provide you with the maximum return, slowly but surely it will grow and the foudation will be sound, at the moment I am only working 1 day aweek and the odd day made up of carpet cleaning jobs. this suits me just fine, and the business is growing. i would be unable to do this if I had to run arround chasing cleaners on large contracts making peanuts.  the prices I charge allow me to pay an area manager and secretary.
Who Dares Wins

BSF

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2006, 03:38:36 pm »
Yes I to would like to see your website. I am sure we could all learn somthing from you.

Its their on Google for the whole world to see,  you’ve probably seen it before.

I have a clear business plan, and it does not include low prices, its true you can make money on 100 hrs at £8.50 but to manage that contract takes to much for so little return. Not all business is good business. I found that out the hard way. my advise would be to build your business on jobs that provide you with the maximum return, slowly but surely it will grow and the foudation will be sound, at the moment I am only working 1 day aweek and the odd day made up of carpet cleaning jobs. this suits me just fine, and the business is growing. i would be unable to do this if I had to run arround chasing cleaners on large contracts making peanuts.  the prices I charge allow me to pay an area manager and secretary.

As Mr Woods has said earlier, big contracts are usually taken over by other cleaning company’s, they know how many hours they need, how do you think they would go from paying £7.50 per hour to your £15.00 per hour, they wouldn’t Phil…

You say you have a job of 60hrs per week, that is a good contract, I would do this for £8.00 per hour (£24,960 pa) (only if the existing cleaners were on £5.50ph) and make a good profit.

The job would be correctly managed, the client would be happy.

Hi BSF
It would be good to see your website to see how a large cleaning company professionally portrays it self. Words of wisdom taken onboard.
Regards
Karl

Hi Karl,

Sorry but I never said I had a large company, a large company to me would be employing at least 400 part time staff,  I’m a fair few off that yet  :o, but it’s large enough to know what large contracts are prepared to pay for cleaning services. 

Regards ;D

BSF

Regards

BSF

kazzie

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2006, 07:15:19 pm »
I have been following this thread with interest.. I hope I am not too late to contribute.

I am hoping to start trading in August (Office Cleaning) and I am putting some finishing touches to my business/marketing plan... Quite a few of you talk of adding your profit after direct/indirect costs.

How much profit is a realistic profit in the world of commercial cleaning? 20%...25%...30%...MORE??

Always grateful for any advice!

Kazzie

BSF

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2006, 07:18:18 pm »
That will depend on the size of the job.

Regards

BSF
Regards

BSF

Tim Downer

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2006, 08:04:58 pm »
Hi all

I am having trouble in finding out what the arguement is on this thread?? If you can make a profit on charging £7.50 per hour (assuming this is per cleaner??) and still make a tidy profit......then good for you. Just trying to find out how you make a profit on that.....but that's not my business.
If you can get work charging £15 or more per hour....then thats fantastic too!! From personal experience, when you have added up the insurance, equipment, cleaning products, paye charges, uniforms (if indeed you supply them??), training, sickpay, holidays, (i will go on to include the chance of one of your cleaning girls getting pregnant and claiming maternity pay.....), your wages for keeping an eye on the contract, your vehicle.....and your profits too.......etc etc etc (list could sometimes go on).....then only you can decide how much you will charge per hour!!

The best price is the highest price you can get away with........as long as you do work to the high standard that the higher price can dictate.....other wise you will soon loose it.

There have been articles about this on this forum and in the cleaning journals....and that is that we as the cleaning contractor should raise the prices for cleaning contracts, so that we the cleaning contractor can use the money to provide a better service for the clients. For many years now, customers out there have been used to dealing with cowboy outfits, and the larger cleaning corperations.......and their cheap contract prices (and the work that goes with it???).....thus the bulk of the cleaning contracxtors.....us.....have to lower our prices to get a fighting chance of getting work......but taking the contract at a lower price......we can give the quality standard of work with it!!!

So i am up for charging more per hour (personally do not work to the per hour!! I work out a contract price......as have said on another thread) so that we can provide a better service for our clients......and as a bonus, earn more money.

Sorry, but have not been on for a few days......so think i have gotten carried away on my rambleings.........

But just take the above words in the spirit that they have been written and that they are just my thoughts on the matter

Kind regards

Tim

Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

Prestige1

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »
Could'nt agree more Tim, With the over heads I have I must charge a minimum £13ph, I try an average £15ph plus vat. I really don't see the point in setting up a contract where its hard work for a small margin. we all know the maths charge out at £7.50 pay the staff £6.50 100 hrs a week £100 profit but it never works out that way, you either cut the hours and loose the quality to make it work!
regards Phil
Who Dares Wins

BSF

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2006, 09:34:33 pm »
Tim,  all smp is claimed back as well as compensation, if you quote for a big contract they will reguire you to specify how many hours they will be supplied in the contract, Phil if you had to charge £13 per hour minimum, you would never win a big contract,

no argument..

Regards

BSF
Regards

BSF

BSF

« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2006, 09:52:33 pm »
Could'nt agree more Tim, With the over heads I have I must charge a minimum £13ph, I try an average £15ph plus vat. I really don't see the point in setting up a contract where its hard work for a small margin. we all know the maths charge out at £7.50 pay the staff £6.50 100 hrs a week £100 profit but it never works out that way, you either cut the hours and loose the quality to make it work!
regards Phil

Phil the above is one of the biggest loads of rubbish I have ever read,

If you had a contract for 10hrs per week, 1 cleaner 2hrs mon – fri, and you made a £6 per hour profit, that would be £60 pw profit.

You’d be much better off having a 100 hrs per week contract making £1.50 per hour profit, that’s £150 profit per week, then all profit from hand towels, toilet rolls etc, also this job will be 10 cleaners doing 2hrs, if two are off sick, the other 8 would manage the work load, you’d save 4 hrs pay that shift. If a member of staff left, you might struggle to replace him/her for a couple of weeks, but the work will still be done, you would then make more money, this is the advantage of a big contract

If your other cleaner from the 10hr per week contract was off, someone else or you would have to carry out the work, what if they left?

Big contracts run themselves they take up very little of your time after the first few months of transfer, the hardest part is replacing the bad apples in the workforce and keeping hold of the good ones.

Come on guys please wake up ???

Regards

BSF
Regards

BSF

Prestige1

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2006, 11:16:49 pm »
BSF
I think its you that needs to wake up, Cleaners can be some of the most unreliable staff there is even you must know that? A large contract needs managing so you would need that in place as well, with so many staff you’re going to get hassle without direct management which adds to the cost; if you haven’t got enough fat in it you will loose money on the deal. When you say other staff will do it? Will they? No, quality will suffer and you will lose the job and that’s just why the cleaning industry has such a bad name. Its people like you who quote that low you can’t put the hours in to maintain it, and you will blag your way through the job as long as you can, cream of as much as you can, and in the end there will cancel.

Look matey if you’re happy making living at it that’s just fine! Not a problem. but if you want more from life then I suggest you loose the attitude problems you have, grow up and try and learn something. I am getting bit sick of people posting like you who think they no it all, use aggression and disrespect others on this forum with your rude replies, and on top of that don't disclose any information about yourself. I can only assume from that you either work for someone else or your company has such a poor reputation you don't want anyone else to know. Go on prove me wrong and show us your website!

No!!! There’s a surprise!!!
Who Dares Wins

Carolann

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2006, 01:30:47 pm »
It's only 2 days per week, for this you can charge more, the client will know this and expect this.
Your estimate of £60 per week I think is spot on, as they only want you twice a week it will be a small ofice so your materials costs will be relatively low and you can incorporate this into your overheads, and once you become more established and take on bigger contracts you will be more aware of incidental costs involved, and be more confident in yourself and your costings.
Good Luck

Ps I started out 6 years ago just like you, worried about what to charge, it's second nature now.
Carolann
Carolann

Phoenix

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2006, 07:06:12 pm »
Come on BSF,

Lets see your web site

BSF

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2006, 10:22:41 pm »
No ;D ;D ;D ;D
Regards

BSF

BSF

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2006, 10:30:24 pm »
BSF
I think its you that needs to wake up, Cleaners can be some of the most unreliable staff there is even you must know that? A large contract needs managing so you would need that in place as well, with so many staff you’re going to get hassle without direct management which adds to the cost; if you haven’t got enough fat in it you will loose money on the deal. When you say other staff will do it? Will they? No, quality will suffer and you will lose the job and that’s just why the cleaning industry has such a bad name. Its people like you who quote that low you can’t put the hours in to maintain it, and you will blag your way through the job as long as you can, cream of as much as you can, and in the end there will cancel.

Look matey if you’re happy making living at it that’s just fine! Not a problem. but if you want more from life then I suggest you loose the attitude problems you have, grow up and try and learn something. I am getting bit sick of people posting like you who think they no it all, use aggression and disrespect others on this forum with your rude replies, and on top of that don't disclose any information about yourself. I can only assume from that you either work for someone else or your company has such a poor reputation you don't want anyone else to know. Go on prove me wrong and show us your website!

No!!! There’s a surprise!!!

Another load of rubbish ;D its you that hasnt got a clue Phil, please dont make assumptions about me.
Regards

BSF

Prestige1

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2006, 11:16:02 pm »
Very tame from you :o I wouldnt make assumptions if you could show a little more respect, and the missing web site?????? ??? ;D ;D ;D
Who Dares Wins

BSF

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2006, 11:33:18 pm »
Come on Phil, telling you your post was rubbish isn’t aggression, its not thinking I know it all either, I take offence at the fact that because I choose not to advertise my company on here, you have decided its because I might work for someone else, or my company has a poor reputation.

My website isn’t missing Phil, if you had half a brain and added a few sums up from my previous posts you’d find it no problem.

Its you who chooses to advertise your company on here, I and anyone else can find out a great deal from the details off your website, so if I were you I’d quit trying to disrespect my company before it gets embarrassing for you.

Because if you do want to carry this childish nonsense on for a few more days, I’m your man.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Regards

BSF

Prestige1

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2006, 12:32:52 am »
There you go again using terms such as “Half a brain!" and using threats again, There’s no need for it. you can pick as many faults about my web site as you wish, I am sure there’s loads, its due for replacing this week so you can have a go at that one as well, its out there for all to see, but what gives you that right when yours is no where to be seen. You hide behind your failure to disclose your identity or reputation and throw insults and threats. I have not decided you work for anyone else or disrespected your company how can I when I don’t know it? You have done that yourself by not telling anyone about yourself and behaving in the way you do. . And if it’s out there in your previous posts then why not tell us???? And when you threaten to escalate the argument because you’re backed into a corner, sums you up. I am sure you have a lot to offer I just don't know why you use the language you do, everyone has an opinion I just wish you would respect that.  Before you have a go about my website have the bottle to put yours up for inspection as well, and put your reputation up for scrutiny by all. Regards Phil
Who Dares Wins

supernova77

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2006, 12:43:13 am »
Thanks for your reply Carolann.

Whereabouts are you based?

Andy

Phoenix

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2006, 10:10:41 am »
Come on B.S.F show us your web site. 

Are you that blinkered that you may be missing a great sales opportunity?

People will hit your site just to see it and then we can all give our feedback as you seem to have an awful lot of feedback/ opinions about other peoples sites.

If your proud about what you do and you have a good reputation then advertise it for free as a link to your profile.  Come on don't be shy.  What have you got to lose.

Hats off to you Phil @ prestige1 you've hit the nail squarley on the head.

BSF

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2006, 03:49:41 pm »
Phil, I wasn’t having a go at your website, it doesn’t interest me, how good or bad it is, I was merely referring to the fact that I or anybody else can find out important details about you and your company from the information on your web site, I am not hiding from anybody Phil, saying you’ve got half a brain isn’t a threat, its an opinion, one day you will realise that putting your details on here isn’t/wasn’t a very good idea, by the way this isn’t a warning or a threat to you,   Phoenix & Phil, I do not need to advertise on the forum, I could have the best website in the world, but it shouldn’t mean I should be judged on my posts by the quality of it.

It’s my own choice to hide my identity on the forum, for various reasons.

Regards

BSF
Regards

BSF

Sarah S & P Cleaning

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2006, 06:33:31 pm »
My small contract cleaning business i have offers extremely high standards of cleaning and we charge around £10.50 per hour per member of staff for man power only (no stock & equipment) and around £12-£14 per hour depending on the contract with stock & equipment.
All our clients are more than happy with the rates and the service, you get what you pay for is often true.
Hope that helps  :D
Cleaning gets me hot !!!

BSF

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2006, 09:57:57 pm »
My small contract cleaning business i have offers extremely high standards of cleaning and we charge around £10.50 per hour per member of staff for man power only (no stock & equipment) and around £12-£14 per hour depending on the contract with stock & equipment.
All our clients are more than happy with the rates and the service, you get what you pay for is often true.
Hope that helps  :D

Yes Sarah………

You can charge this and a lot more for small jobs, my company does.

The tittle tattle aimed at me by a few members isn’t justified, unless they have large jobs or have ever quoted for one of more than 50hrs weekly, they would understand my point/s, Phil has one for 60hrs a week and must charge £13 per hour for it because that is his minimum charge, if he is true to his word on that price, he is charging too much for it, without him thinking about what contradictions he is writing on this forum, it is he not me who is giving cleaning companies a bad name, by trying to overcharge for a service, if we all quoted over the top prices for office cleaning, all large contracts would employ their own staff.

Phoenixdrivers limited must have some idea of how it works because he allegedly has a 1.7 million pound turnover from his company/s.

I can supply a first rate cleaning service at a reasonable price, this is why my business is continuously growing.

Regards

BSF 
Regards

BSF

Prestige1

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2006, 10:45:59 pm »
BSF
I respectfully disagree, anything over 80hrs per week will have to be more competitively priced I agree on that but not at the levels you imply. I honestly believe that a good cleaner if worth charging out at £12 to £16 per hour. its only that there is that many cleaning companies charging a lot less, that it forces the average down. In my opinion you can have the best cleaning company in the world with the best systems and processes available. But if your pitch or sales technique is inadequate you will not be able to get the jobs at a rate which is worth it. Sales is something I know a lot about, having managed as many 280 direct sales staff in a previous life. The staff I managed would be able to sell packages from £39 up to £140 the good reps would average £100 where the poor reps £62, the poor reps would always have the same excuses that have been outlined by some on this forum/topic, like, “you can’t charge more”! “No money in the area”! Or “I had to get them for £62 or he would go to a competitor”! Its all about your sales approach ( in my opinion) if you can go through the sales process on an estimate and follow each stage of the process., identifying needs, linking the features and benefits of your company, overcoming objections and closing the sale. Sounds simple but its not, you have to work on it. Get it right and you will be able to command a much better rate. But then this is only my humble opinion based on the time I was a Divisional Sales manager, managing everything from Hull to Manchester everything North, with 4 managers and 280 sales reps. Every one to there own if you dissagree fine no problem, Kind regards Phil
Who Dares Wins

garyj

« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2006, 10:57:13 pm »
Can I throw my hat in hat ring?

Prestige has the most idealistic pricing, I wish we could all charge as much, perhaps we should!!

BSF has the most realistic pricing, and will get the job, and still make a healthy profit.

Prestige has the best picture, so I stole it.

I understand where Prestige is coming from, but in today's market BSF is on the button.

BSF

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2006, 11:09:46 pm »
Phil,

So you seriously think that if you were asked to quote for a contract of 60 hrs per week you could convince the customer that its worth £13 - £16 per hour???? even with all your sales experience, its not possible.

When the current company is probably doing it for around £8 per hour ( if current staff are paid £5.50 ph).

You really are convinced by the sounds of it Phil, is this some kind of a wind up?

By your price and very above average costs for, materials, insurance, administration, management, they know that you will be making in excess of £300 per week profit, that’s at the £13 charge (your minimum), its over £450 profit per week at the £16.00

That quote would be laughed all the way in to the shredder!

Your digging yourself in to a great big hole Phil.

Regards

BSF
Regards

BSF

Prestige1

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2006, 11:10:54 pm »
Thats fine not a problem, getting the job is easy, its getting at the best price you can is the key, I can't argue if your happy charging what you do and making the profit what you do, I personally just won't comprimise my pricing. I have never chased commercial work, it just comes my way and some I loose the majority I don't, Regards Phil
Who Dares Wins

BSF

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2006, 11:18:47 pm »
Thats fine not a problem, getting the job is easy, its getting at the best price you can is the key, I can't argue if your happy charging what you do and making the profit what you do, I personally just won't comprimise my pricing. I have never chased commercial work, it just comes my way and some I loose the majority I don't, Regards Phil

Their you go Phil your now nearly at the bottom of that hole, Garyj just posted what I was going to say in a round about way, I wish I could make £300 pw profit on a 60hr pw contract, because if I could I wouldnt be on this forum I'd be in the caribbean with CMS ;D.

Regards

BSF
Regards

BSF

therapist

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2006, 11:20:10 pm »
Interesting exchange of views and whichever route you choose, you will require a great deal of dedication and singlemindedness.

Personally and I fall back on, not just personal experience, but all of the training and business education, etc, over 30 plus years, which has cosistently impressed certain values upon me.

One of which was the avoidence of falling into the ''  low price trap  '' which is the cause of many businesses failures.

Sure, you can discount and you can, theoretically sell products, or services at lower than the competition, but, you have to comfortably exceed your breakeven and be able to sustain a consistent level of growth to, just, stand still.

It is far better to achieve a level of profitability, with which you are comfortable and which gives sufficient surplus to re invest in your business, in capital expenditure, or marketing / training / diversification.

It's a simple and obvious fact, that a compact and well structured business is a lot easier to manage.

What you have to get from your business goes beyond, size, the most important thing is profitability and it's perfectly possible for a one man / woman business, with a small team of 6 to 8 employees to achieve a greater net profit, than a larger, but less well run business.

This kind of discussion could go, on and on, as opinions and attitudes will always be in conflict, but it does'nt mean that one approach will always succeed over another, as the personality factor, will determine the routes we choose and to a great extent , the success, or failure of our enterprise.

best wishes

rob m

Prestige1

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2006, 11:24:17 pm »
BSF
Not at all. I may be spoilt in the area in which I operate but I doubt it. One of my best domestic jobs is 6 girls for 2 hours weekly is £189 + Vat works out at over 15 per hour per girl. And the client is over the moon with the service we provide. I am making a good profit on my biggest Commercial job but it’s a night mare to manage, or I think it is, I don't want to go to much into that job as it wouldn’t take much for some one local to identify the job, but it’s linked to the above domestic job. You have to stick to your pricing strategy and me to my own. But I think if you focussed more on selling your business better you will command a better price, but then that’s just my opinion. Regards Phil
Who Dares Wins

Prestige1

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2006, 11:29:33 pm »
Well said Therapist, I couldn’t agree with your fine and intellectual reply. 10 out 10 for content and presentation.
Kind regards Phil
Who Dares Wins

BSF

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2006, 11:33:04 pm »
Rob... Your back…. I thought I had explained the maths ;D

what's being referred to here can only be agency work.........with no employer liabilities

rob m

Rob stick to what you know, do I tell you how much to charge to clean a carpet or how to clean one?

Regards

BSF
Regards

BSF

garyj

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2006, 11:34:57 pm »
If what phil is saying is true then its a lesson for all of us. I've just had a look at his website and he is in one of the poorest areas of the country.

I'm in one  of the richest, and I just would not get a look in at the prices he can charge, I know that for a fact.

I would be more than happy to quote £10 an hour for 60 hours per week, the profit margin is still there, at £13 an hour the job has gone to someone else. The difference is nearly 200 quid a week and over £750 a month  :o

A BIG  difference.

BSF

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2006, 11:39:01 pm »
BSF
Not at all. I may be spoilt in the area in which I operate but I doubt it. One of my best domestic jobs is 6 girls for 2 hours weekly is £189 + Vat works out at over 15 per hour per girl. And the client is over the moon with the service we provide. I am making a good profit on my biggest Commercial job but it’s a night mare to manage, or I think it is, I don't want to go to much into that job as it wouldn’t take much for some one local to identify the job, but it’s linked to the above domestic job. You have to stick to your pricing strategy and me to my own. But I think if you focussed more on selling your business better you will command a better price, but then that’s just my opinion. Regards Phil

Well done Phil, thats 12hrs per week on one job ;D ;D ;D ;D not 60hrs
Regards

BSF

BSF

« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2006, 11:45:47 pm »
Can I throw my hat in hat ring?

Prestige has the most idealistic pricing, I wish we could all charge as much, perhaps we should!!

BSF has the most realistic pricing, and will get the job, and still make a healthy profit.

Prestige has the best picture, so I stole it.

I understand where Prestige is coming from, but in today's market BSF is on the button.

It is a good picture, thought I'd give it a try ;D
Regards

BSF

Prestige1

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2006, 11:56:46 pm »
I don't know how you can scratch out a few figures on the back of a fAg packet and assume that I am making a load of cash on that one job. You make it sound so easy, it makes money sure it does but you need to appreciate other factors and expenses

. As for a poor area, I operate in 2 areas 70 miles apart from each other. One area has poor parts but the other is one of the most affluent areas in the country even better then Cheadle’s where you operate Paul.  And there you go again BSF (PAUL) disrespecting Rob’s view; do you have any idea on how you come across? Your postings are based on disrespecting everyone’s view because your way is the only way!

12hrs is his house 58 hrs is his office complex; one thing you will see in all my postings is truth, no need to exaggerate or mislead.
Who Dares Wins

Prestige1

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2006, 11:57:43 pm »
Dont know whos who Now!!
Who Dares Wins

garyj

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2006, 12:09:20 am »
I know, I'll change it back  tomorrow, but for now it looks patriotic.

Art

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2006, 12:13:45 am »
 ;D ;D ;D Anyone know where i can get a St. Andrews cross from  ???

Prestige1

« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2006, 12:21:23 am »
Who Dares Wins

Art

« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2006, 12:28:45 am »
Thanks Phil  ;D ;D

BSF

« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2006, 12:32:53 am »
I don't know how you can scratch out a few figures on the back of a f*g packet and assume that I am making a load of cash on that one job. You make it sound so easy, it makes money sure it does but you need to appreciate other factors and expenses

. As for a poor area, I operate in 2 areas 70 miles apart from each other. One area has poor parts but the other is one of the most affluent areas in the country even better then Cheadle’s where you operate Paul.  And there you go again BSF (PAUL) disrespecting Rob’s view; do you have any idea on how you come across? Your postings are based on disrespecting everyone’s view because your way is the only way!

12hrs is his house 58 hrs is his office complex; one thing you will see in all my postings is truth, no need to exaggerate or mislead.

Phil I was being sarcastic ;D

My name isnt Paul, Phil. That was me posting undercover ;D ;D

Regards

BSF
Regards

BSF

Art

« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2006, 01:23:33 am »
Shake hands and call it a day, this argument is pointless.

Who likes my avatar  ??? ;D

garyj

« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2006, 01:54:57 am »
I prefer mine  ;)

garyj

« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2006, 01:59:16 am »
I've just changed mine  ???

Has everyone else got the same one or is my pc gone mad  ???

garyj

« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2006, 02:05:34 am »
Excellent website by the way BSF, one of the best I've seen, AND you did it yourself  :)

Prestige1

« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2006, 08:49:19 am »
Yes I thought that. he knows his stuff when it comes to web design, can't argue with him on that.
Who Dares Wins

Prestige1

« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2006, 08:51:13 am »
At least I have got you all using the my flags, you now need to follow my pricing and the jobs complete ;D ;D ;D
Who Dares Wins

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2006, 11:00:19 am »
Hi Guys, been following the posts with interest. What B.S.F website address?

Art

« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2006, 11:20:59 am »
At least I have got you all using the my flags, you now need to follow my pricing and the jobs complete ;D ;D ;D

Why not change flags to the same one i've got  ::)

D woods

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2006, 11:45:13 am »
Hi Guys
I dont think it is fair to publish the web address of BSF, if he does not want
to show it .

garyj

« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2006, 11:47:30 am »
I think you are right Dave, thats why no one has so far or should.

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2006, 11:49:14 am »
I agree with you just wonded how you had seen his site

Prestige1

« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2006, 03:36:11 pm »
No I agree, We have had a good bit of banter, every one's enjoyed it. but  everyone has there right to remain private, but I will tell you the traffic on my site has gone up, shame its not been any customers ;D ;D
Who Dares Wins

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2006, 03:41:21 pm »
Hi Prestige
I've had loads of traffic on my site as well, jus waiting for the phone calls. You said you have seen BSF website did he send you the address?? after you made up..lol

D woods

« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2006, 04:37:26 pm »
Hi Guys
We have had a constant stream of hits on our website from this forum,
other cleaning contractors checking out the competiton.

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2006, 04:55:39 pm »
Hi
Have checked out your website myself. You seem to have a welll established business, have you been trading long? any advice you can give on the wpf systems? i have not branched into that area yet but it looks the way to go with the new health and safety laws. Do you find it a very competetive market.

Thanks
Karl

D woods

« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2006, 06:02:03 pm »
Hi Karl
We have been trading for 25 years, we started out as a window cleaning company and then got involved in daily office cleaning.

Ten years ago we gave up on office cleaning ( due to the low rates that
were being quoted ) and now only offer window cleaning services.

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2006, 06:13:22 pm »
Hi
So wfp is a profitable service if you can get the right contracts. Could is ask where you buy your equipment from?

Thanks
Karl

D woods

« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2006, 07:07:27 pm »
Hi Karl
WFP is very profitable we use Ionics and Omnipole

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2006, 07:12:11 pm »
What process do you use to quote for the contracts. Hourly rate, overall price..etc

thanks
Karl

BSF

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2006, 07:35:48 pm »
Yes I thought that. he knows his stuff when it comes to web design, can't argue with him on that.

If thats a compliment,, gee thanks!

My website still states we do domestic cleaning as it needs updating, I studied and passed exams to qualify as a webmaster, I dont use web design programmes as I write the sites I have built from scratch using hyper text markup language (this is what all sites are written with) I am no designer,  I make more money from supplying cleaning services.
 I really do hate my site, but haven’t got the time to re-write it.

So I am in the process of employing a company to do it for me, I will still maintain/amend it myself though.

This isn’t the reason for hiding my profile, as I have said a lot of information can be sourced from a company’s details.

Regards ;D

BSF

What process do you use to quote for the contracts. Hourly rate, overall price..etc

thanks
Karl

As much as you can get away with, if its a takeover of contract, you would need to try and find out what the other company has been charging, their are ways to do this!

If you charm the decision maker enough, you might get away with charging a bit more ;D

Regards

BSF

Regards

BSF

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2006, 08:12:38 pm »
Hi BSF
Could i have a look at your site please, mine's there for you to view. You can send your address to my email if thats ok with you.

Thanks
Karl

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2006, 09:45:16 pm »
I like the nilco site not sure its your though, especially as you claim to be a cleaning company not supplier. But if you don't want reveal it i take the point  :)

BSF

« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2006, 10:45:04 pm »
SNA asked me a series of questions,,,, it was all military talk.    my replies followed............

Yes 16th/5th Queens Royal Lancers (recce)  ;D
Regards

BSF

BSF

« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2006, 10:49:23 pm »
Sorry I wasnt a  tankie, they were royal tank regiment, so in answer to your question no.

But like I said I was on CVRT's ;D
Regards

BSF

BSF

« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2006, 11:08:20 pm »
I think you might be thinking of the life guards & blues and royals,  same thing but they ride horses :(

I'm scared of horses ;D

Sorry if no one no’s what I’m on about, heres a bit of info to make it a bit clearer: I was on, combat vehicle reconnaissance tracked (cvrt)  

Tankies are a main battle tank regiment (mbt), our role was to go behind enemy lines to gather information about the enemy, then pass this on to the big guns,

They would then go in and use their 120mm rounds which could be…. heat (high explosive anti tank) heap (high explosive armoured piercing) hesh (high explosive squash head)

If this didn’t work I would have to use the Nilco which all CVRT’s are equipped with, but this was the last resort, the Geneva convention actually banned these because of their sheer power, I have post traumatic stress disorder from when I attacked the enemy with my nilco, you should have seen the size of the mark on his neck, it knocked me sick :o  
Regards

BSF

BSF

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2006, 11:43:30 pm »
I'm pulling your leg, blues and royals & life guards (household cavalry) are armoured regiment's, but one unit of each is an armoured regiment, the second unit of each is the household cavalry mounted regiment, these do the ceremonial duties, its a dead easy job they only work on the queens birthday, but they do like horses ;D ;D alot...

All armoured regiments were once on horse back...  but only the elite use the Nilco's (me!).

I can change a bag with my eyes shut in four seconds :o

Regards

BSF

BSF

« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2006, 11:53:47 pm »
Sorry James, I didnt answer your question.

No I wasnt in Windsor with my regiment.

Are you x forces? or is it just the way you walk? ;D
Regards

BSF

BSF

« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2006, 12:01:00 am »
Do you remember the trooping of the colour, when that clown shot the starting pistol and a jock guard decked him and held a bayonet  to his throat  ???

I hope it wasnt you George ;D it wasnt a bayonet, it was the stair attachment off his Nilco ;D
Regards

BSF

Phoenix

« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2006, 01:28:15 pm »
What the hell has all these posts to do with OFFICE CLEANING RATES?  This Chitchat should be posted in another sections of this forum!!!

Phoenix

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »
And Oh, I dont miss the green kit one little bit after 24 years service. Why dont you two get together at your nearest British legion Club, pull up a couple of sand bags and "swing the light"!!!!

Art

« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2006, 03:13:52 pm »
Sorry phoenix, your right i've deleted all mine  :'(

Prestige1

« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2006, 03:33:06 pm »

Oh! I wanted to know who saved our Queen when the gun went off!! Kind regards Phil

Who Dares Wins

garyj

« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2006, 03:36:15 pm »
So did I, I thought we were going to find out last night.

Surely it couldn't possibly be our very own Arthur SNA could it  8)

One minute saving The Queen, the next being reprimanded for talking in the wrong section, funny old world init.

Art

« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2006, 04:32:09 pm »
Phil, Gary, sorry i can't disclose any more about that incident with  HRH, but it wasn't me  ;D

Prestige1

« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2006, 05:47:48 pm »
If it was,nt you who saved her, was it you that pulled the trgger?
Ps. fisrt one to guess what flag I am flying gets 10 house points!!!
Who Dares Wins

Robert Parry

« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2006, 02:40:17 pm »
I find it interesting that you let your client/prospect tell you how many hours they want you to clean their premises, surely you are supposed to be the professional? We approach this type of client/prospect by asking them how clean they want their building to be, we then base our quote on that and other factors.
It is very unlikely, that your client/prospect would have enough knowledge to be able to prepare a real cleaning specification, unless the building warranted a qualified/experienced full time FM.
Regarding the hourly charge, if you add on the real costs of doing business, holiday pay, sick pay, pension payments, insurance, payroll expenses etc, etc, i don't think £10.00 per hour would cut it.
At the end of the day, it is the industries duty to inform and educate our clients in the real costs involved in maintaining their premises to the standards that they themselves set.
A world of difference....

Kingfisher-CCS

« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2006, 11:25:44 am »
I agree I quoted for my first job the other day, the owner and his wife used to do the cleaning when they could be bothered.

The bloke took me in his office and said, 'so you're a cleaning company? How much will it cost then?' I just smiled and told him I'd have to look around first as I'd only seen the reception and his office. He then told me it would take me an hour.....how much would that be?

I said it depends on what there is, toilets, kitchen I dunno

He eventually told me to look around and come back to his office.

So I had to find my way around and take notes, then realised it would take 2 hrs, but he still thought 1 hour!

I quoted for 1.5hrs per night at a ridiculously low £8.50 an hour!! :-\ He nearly snapped my arm off!

I charged that low as I'm used to working min wage, but I'm not gonna price that low again, he was lucky, I'll live n learn 8)

[wow, nearly wrote an essay!]

Paul

*Chris Browne

« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2006, 06:33:48 pm »
£8.50!!!jeeez, can you make anything on that??

chris

Mr BSF

« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2006, 10:20:19 pm »
Any company would bite your arm off at £8.50 ph for 7 and a half hours a week, I think we are now on the border of bickering about charges again :o

I will try and put my point across with out trying to sound mad or make out that I know everything, because i'm not mad and I dont know everything.

If I was selling 25 litres of toilet cleaner to a small cleaning business, I would charge him accordingly, because he is only buying a small amount I would want to make a good profit to make it worth my while.

If a large cleaning company approached me wanting to buy my fantastic toilet cleaner, in amounts of say 1000 litres a week, I can afford to sell them a lot cheaper, I could even offer them free delivery, I would even put their name on the bottle.

I have made a lot of mistakes relating to charging in this business, I have learnt the hard way, I consistently over quoted on large contracts when we started, hence I threw the work away, I refused to lower my profit margin because only making a quid an hour didn’t seem viable, my attitude was stuff them I hope they get a poor service, big contracts are very hesitant to change supplier especially if it costs them more, the only way to get them is to offer a better service for an equal or cheaper price.

I totally agree the basic principal is to charge what you can get away with or what you are happy to do it for, but always remember 12 months down the line there is always someone out there wanting your contract, they will do it cheaper than you.

Large customers want the job doing for the lowest price possible, its ok saying I’m giving cleaning a bad name, ok in the ideal world I want to charge £10 an hour for a 50 hr contract, but if I realistically want that contract, I can’t, why let someone else get it.

What I can say to put it in simple terms:

A young aspiring footballer gets the chance of a lifetime to play at a premiership football club, he plays in the reserves for a few seasons then gets his place on the team, he plays well for the next couple of seasons…..

Hey presto all the premiership clubs want him to play for them.

Its all about getting your foot in the door with big customers, when you do the worlds your oyster.

Regards

BSF ;D 

need a cleaner

« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2006, 11:22:53 pm »
Well done BSF :Dyou manage to restrain your self ;D :o

Kingfisher-CCS

« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2006, 11:33:28 am »
I clean a place just over the road after I've been to the £8.50 an hr one and I use the absolute minimum cleaning materials there. So it's not too bad  :-\ HOWEVER, I am getting a bit peeved when I think I've set myself up for working for a poor price for the next 12 months!

I wont charge low like that again, I may aswel work for someone else £5.05/hr and have no worries :)

Kingfisher-CCS

« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2006, 11:38:09 am »
They only wanted 3hrs/wk (2 nights), it was filthy at first but I'm getting it up to a decent standard. And it appears to stay fairly clean. So hopefully the client may be nice and say I can go once I've done ;D

Or I'll try and staff it, but the person would need transport, blah blah

bscleaning

« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2006, 09:35:28 pm »
Hi, am new to this business and thought that domestic rate would be less then office cleaning rates, can anyone give me some information,  our clients are of good income, if you know what i mean! Thank you.

Sarah S & P Cleaning

« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2006, 09:56:25 pm »
Hi,
I charge from £10.50- per hr up to £12.00- per hr per cleaner on office contract and have no problem recieving this rate.
Domestics i dont handle any more but i used to charge £25 per 1 1/2 hr for 2 cleaners and £32 for a 2 hr clean.
With all stock, expenses, insurances etc it would hard work to make a living in office work for any less.
 :D  :D  :D
Cleaning gets me hot !!!

Mr BSF

« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2006, 10:52:59 pm »
Hi,
I charge from £10.50- per hr up to £12.00- per hr per cleaner on office contract and have no problem recieving this rate.
Domestics i dont handle any more but i used to charge £25 per 1 1/2 hr for 2 cleaners and £32 for a 2 hr clean.
With all stock, expenses, insurances etc it would hard work to make a living in office work for any less.
 :D  :D  :D

Hi Sarah,

If you quoted on a contract in excess of 30 hrs p/w your hourly charge would have to come down to get the contract.

regards

BSF

mk1

« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2007, 06:52:43 pm »
what an interesting read this lot is  ;) ;) just quoting for a 35hrs a week office cleaning contract 4 cleaners at 2 locations 200 yards apart.......which side of the fence do i go £10.00 or £15.00  ;D ;D

Suehuitt

« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2007, 07:12:28 pm »
Hi there i have multiple contracts now thanks to hard work and I have now increased my price with all my  contracts to £15 per hour, they seem to be happy with that, when you take into consideration wages, NI Holiday pay, insurance materials its about average price
First Time Every Time

newbroom

« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2007, 07:15:34 pm »
Hi all,

I have been watching this topic with great interest, really do agree with BSF on pricing structure for large contracts, To clarify i would consider any contract worth £50,000 per annum to be large.

To obtain contracts of this nature you would have to adjust prcing to the scale of hours required.

Slighty off track does anybody make allowances/discounts for multi site cleaning with a client.

cleanimperial

« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2007, 03:15:04 pm »
Hi Bsf
Look at my website at www.cleantechcleaning.co.uk for some of our clients. karl

Cool website

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2007, 05:39:56 pm »
what profit margin do u work on for office cleaning

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2007, 05:44:43 pm »
Hi Cleanimperial

Thanks
Karl

lowesdarwen

« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2007, 06:28:53 pm »
So all in all, what would be a good price for a 4hr per week office clean,

one suppling materials, one without (in the north of england)

got a contract (12 month) based quote to do!!!!

with materails £3120 - £15 per hour
or
without  £1872 for year - £9per hour

What do you think?????? :)