Cliff Horne

Driveway cleaning chemicals
« on: November 18, 2010, 01:37:41 pm »
Hi Guys

This is my first post so be gentle with me.

I have been building tennis courts for 30 years now and decided my back wasn't going to last so have retired from doing that, but as I intend to continue cleaning tennis courts, having still got my PWs and Whirlaways, I needed something to supliment that income, and have set up "Kernow Pro Wash" drive/patio cleaning and I am trying to sort out which chemicals to use, so far I have been using sodium hypochlorite and TFR but was wondering if hydrogen peroxide would be a better bet as this seems to be more eco friendly, what do you guys use.

Also what are your thoughts on moss killers such as "Armillatox" and "RBT247" are they any good?.

Regards
Cliff

Smart like a donkey, hung like Einstein

Cliff Horne

Re: Driveway cleaning chemicals
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:27:42 am »
Hello, is anybody there  :o

Blast Away

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:25:16 pm »
Cliff, I've never used the latter but sodium hypo is the common gear to use. Avoid plants and grass with it though. Don't know why anyone would use TFR.

jaespray

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:55:10 pm »
hi cliff  rbt247 will get rid of salmonella/swine flue  tfr you wash cars with   be carefull with the green chemicals   had several jobs this year from customers who had used green chems  it left a wierd stain behind    i think they didnot rinse enough
regards john

BDCS

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:41:07 pm »
Hydrogen peroxide is used to re-oxygenate a water course after a sewage spill. When I cleaned a water mill it was the chemical the EA offered as an alternative to hypo before we settled on percarb.

Cliff Horne

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 08:37:57 am »
Cliff, I've never used the latter but sodium hypo is the common gear to use. Avoid plants and grass with it though. Don't know why anyone would use TFR.

Thanks for the replies guys

So sodium hypo for general cleaning of drives pathways etc, I thought maybe TFR would act as a degreaser on areas where vehicles had been parked? can you tell me if this is wrong please

Hydrogen peroxide is used to re-oxygenate a water course after a sewage spill. When I cleaned a water mill it was the chemical the EA offered as an alternative to hypo before we settled on percarb.

Would I use sodium percarbonate on decking?

hi cliff  rbt247 will get rid of salmonella/swine flue  tfr you wash cars with   be carefull with the green chemicals   had several jobs this year from customers who had used green chems  it left a wierd stain behind    i think they didnot rinse enough
regards john

What would you use for moss killing on (say) a tarmac drive that won't take a pressure wash?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I don't want to spend too much time on trial and error, all your input is thankfully received

Cliff

Blast Away

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 10:59:38 am »
Sodium Percarbonate(Oxygen Bleach) is used a lot in the US for roof cleaning. I've tried it here but it's only good for roof tiles that have only gathered general soiling and algae not heavy moss ball.
It's also good on decking, safer for the wood than hypo, although hypo works faster a good rinse is needed to avoid rotting the wood.

Tarmac, hypo again is what we use. At 9 quid for 25 liters 14% neat, I wouldn't waste money on all these gimmick brands.

Jimmy Jon

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 02:07:57 pm »
Hi Blastaway, Where do you get your Sodium Hypo from?

Blast Away

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 09:11:30 pm »
Hi Blastaway, Where do you get your Sodium Hypo from?

Walker Brothers in Bury, Gt Manchester.

Unit 3a, Pimhole Business Park Pimhole Rd, Bury BL9 7ET - 0161 761 7776

Cliff Horne

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 06:36:02 am »
Would you apply sodium hypo through your PW or with a backpack sprayer?

If a backpack sprayer would that be diluted or neat?

Regards
Cliff

Cliff Horne

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 07:48:25 am »
Would you apply sodium hypo through your PW or with a backpack sprayer?

If a backpack sprayer would that be diluted or neat?

Regards
Cliff

BUMP

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 12:39:03 pm »
hi guys,

using sodium hypo on painted tenniscourts would it remove the paint from the tarmac?
mark

jaespray

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 01:35:05 pm »
hi mark  only if it was badly painted   (1)  previous bad wash  (2)  badly rinsed  (3)  tried to paint over moss or silts
regards john

Ged

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 08:27:08 pm »
why do you need chems to clean domestic drives and patios. tfr and hypo? does'nt make sense. if you have correct gear set up properly you rarely need any chemicals at all.

Cliff Horne

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 06:44:47 am »
hi guys,

using sodium hypo on painted tennis courts would it remove the paint from the tarmac?

No it should'nt do, I know some tennis court cleaners use this prior to clean but only in small areas so it does'nt dwell for long.

I've had 30yrs building and maintaining tennis courts, mostly the porous macadam type, I have never used any chemical on them, I always use a whirlaway with 3000psi then a fan lance to rinse off.

You will no doubt remove paint as you should never put on thick paint as this causes slippages problems for players.

You may also remove some chippings from the surface on older courts, this is to be expected because of the type of tarmac used, its a matter of knowing how much is acceptable, you can only try a test patch if your not confident, having contact with a court sprayer will help, but they are likely to do there own cleaning.

If as you are rinsing there is a lot of moss left you can only do it again or remove CAREFULLY with your lance.
Having said that the average clean takes about 1 1/2 days although I have done some easily in 1 day.
Dense macadams (usually black) take 1 day, Acrylic/cushioned acrylic, because of the smooth surface texture may need hypo/broom and will take 2/3 times as long if there NOT being re-coloured, never use pressure washing on an artificial grass court.

I charge direct to the customer from £350 per court (most charge about £450) but have charged as much as £950, depends on surface/access/water flow/removal of debris. blocks of tennis courts can be good earners but be careful of reducing prices too much.

Not to much info I hope :o

Regards
Cliff

Ged

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 09:15:10 am »
cliff, do you usually have to re  paint the line markings after cleaning a court ?

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 10:18:08 am »
cliff,

ive cleaned for 15 yrs tenniscourts and used the way that you do it and your right with what you have said.

have you a court painter that i could use.

mark
mark

Cliff Horne

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 11:46:27 am »
cliff, do you usually have to re  paint the line markings after cleaning a court ?

Only if they need it, the lines tend to be better wearing than the colouring.
cliff,

ive cleaned for 15 yrs tenniscourts and used the way that you do it and your right with what you have said.

mark

I know a good guy he is in the southwest but would probably travel if the price was right call me if you want his number.

Regards
Cliff

Cliff Horne

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 12:18:16 pm »
cliff,

mark

Mark

Two numbers for you

Geoff Read
01208 892603
07710 599919

Len Pesker
01454 323862
07768 480813

Both do very good works

Regards
Cliff

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 02:55:51 pm »
hi cliff,

Thanks for that.mark
mark

Gutter Cleaning

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 10:11:35 pm »
I clean tennis courts with the whirlaway and my 3000psi machine. I don't use any chemicals, never had one that didn't come up sparkling yet!