Poll

which part of staff do you find most difficult in window cleaning?

getting enough decent applicants
12.5%
3 (12.5%)
staff leaving not lasting long enough (quitting)
12.5%
3 (12.5%)
staff not dong what you want them to
20.8%
5 (20.8%)
dealing with disciplinary problems (attendance, sick, bad attitude, etc)
16.7%
4 (16.7%)
poor performance
16.7%
4 (16.7%)
i don't have any difficulties with staff :)
4.2%
1 (4.2%)
the paperwork and legalities
4.2%
1 (4.2%)
something else (please comment below)
12.5%
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 16, 2020, 11:06:30 am

Tom-01

Re: quick poll.. about staffing problems...
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 10:21:50 am »
I haven't voted because it would be the first 5.

I've employed half a dozen

Either too slow, a poor learner, too fast and get complaints. I had one who kept breaking stuff including smashing the van up. Another kept having days off or needing to finish early. Had quite a few apply then not turn up.. Had a decent one but he was only looking for a leg up to go self employed...

But overall I hated it, having the responsibility of someone on the books felt like a weight around my neck. Having to worry if they are going to turn up today or get all the work done or do a poor job or scrape the van down a wall.

I can see how it would work with the right person but finding them is another story.

Yes I hear that a lot.

Dry Clean

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 11:05:59 am »
I’ve always believed that this is a trade like any other you have to learn it,the thing that may wake someone new up is to send them straight on a WFP course if you think they could be the right person.
Then they might think hang on I thought this was just a cash in hand anyone can clean windows kind of gig,when I watched Forest Gump I thought he was a 1 off until I had a few come and go just like him 🤣🤣.

There's your problem in a nutshell, people who think that washing windows is a trade or need a wfp course shouldn't be allowed outside unless on a lead never mind be allowed to work.

Dry Clean

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 11:12:51 am »
I don't employ anymore but when I did I found it hard to find good reliable staff
You have to be able to pay well to get good reliable staff, problem is if you do this then there's not enough profit left to make it worthwhile.

Stoots

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 11:21:44 am »
I don't employ anymore but when I did I found it hard to find good reliable staff
You have to be able to pay well to get good reliable staff, problem is if you do this then there's not enough profit left to make it worthwhile.

Exactly what I found.

I paid peanuts and got monkeys. But when I did the math paying a decent wack just isn't viable.

Im not going to go through all the hassle to make only 20% profit on an employee. Better to just sell the work.

Smudger

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 03:25:15 pm »

Exactly what I found.

I paid peanuts and got monkeys. But when I did the math paying a decent wack just isn't viable.

Im not going to go through all the hassle to make only 20% profit on an employee. Better to just sell the work.

what do you call a decent wage ?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 04:05:42 pm »
I meant send them on a WFP course just to let them know I’m serious or that some people see it as serious lol,the average wage is over 500 a week so they tell me.
This is what I mean pay me 200-250k a year before wackin it up with Rishi and it’s a no from me,sounds good doesn’t it all this million notes a year turnover  stuff it should come with a swivel 🪑 thrown in for good measure 😳.