John Mart

New unit
« on: October 17, 2018, 02:49:51 pm »
We had to move out of our last one in April due to a number of issues, so we've been operating from my garage for a few months. In some ways it's been beneficial for example managed to charge a partial rebuild to the company so all paid for without paying tax on the income, but I've hated it. Three vans coming in and out plus the disturbance to homelife.

Anyway, we've found a new one on the old Greenham Airbase for less than we were paying for the old one. With more space, mezzanine floor. And the real bonus is........ NO WATER METER!! Couldn't believe it. We use 1,800 litres a day, so we go through 4,000 litres. All free!!  ;D

Smudger

Re: New unit
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 02:56:23 pm »
Well done,

How did you charge the company for the garage rebuild ? I know that if you do improvements to your home for the company you become liable later on when you no longer use it for company biz or sell the property

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

John Mart

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 03:14:51 pm »
Well done,

How did you charge the company for the garage rebuild ? I know that if you do improvements to your home for the company you become liable later on when you no longer use it for company biz or sell the property

Darran
We haven't put it through yet as it's in the current year, but I asked the accountant and he said it was fine. The garage is used pretty much exclusively for the business. They were essential repairs. The front needed replacing, new doors, walls needed securing and a new roof.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 03:31:04 pm »
That’s good - you never know what the tax man will/won’t allow for one year to the next

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

deeege

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 04:12:19 pm »
Give it 6 months until they realise that water usage is through the roof they’ll be straight round installing a water meter. Make the most of it whilst you can.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

John Mart

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 04:22:41 pm »
Give it 6 months until they realise that water usage is through the roof they’ll be straight round installing a water meter. Make the most of it whilst you can.
It's a huge business park. My consumption will be dwarfed by the rest of the site. Just one company on the old US airbase is English Provender. I expect the consume 500x what I'll consume. I reckon I'll be ok.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/greenham+airbase/@51.3749611,-1.2840537,700m/data=!3m1!1e3

Don Kee

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 04:32:18 pm »
Well done,

Darran
We haven't put it through yet as it's in the current year, but I asked the accountant and he said it was fine. The garage is used pretty much exclusively for the business. They were essential repairs. The front needed replacing, new doors, walls needed securing and a new roof.

I’d have been asking him about digital VAT returns whilst you had him on the phone!

Compulsory from June 2019. Does anyone know what it means?

:P :P :P

John Mart

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 05:16:53 pm »
Well done,

Darran

I’d have been asking him about digital VAT returns whilst you had him on the phone!

Compulsory from June 2019. Does anyone know what it means?

:P :P :P
He doesn’t do our VAT.  ;)

Tom-01

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 05:18:17 pm »
Well done 8weekly. Always nice when a plan comes together.

Can you leave vehicles there? Do you mind me asking how much you pay?

We have a unit on a farm and space to leave one van, it works well for now, however we will need to move at some point. Prices are high round our way I think.

John Mart

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 05:27:00 pm »
Well done 8weekly. Always nice when a plan comes together.

Can you leave vehicles there? Do you mind me asking how much you pay?

We have a unit on a farm and space to leave one van, it works well for now, however we will need to move at some point. Prices are high round our way I think.
£350 + VAT. 280 sq ft plus a mezzanine floor.

We can leave vehicles there but the guys take the vans home now with trackers so it’s not an issue.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 06:16:01 pm »
Nice one buddy. Keep the water thing to yourself, only takes one bored/jealous A-hole to get wind and throw a spanner in the works!! Pretty sad but there's always someone with too much time on their hands. 👍
Comfortably Numb!

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 06:35:51 pm »
What’s your policy on the vans being at staff houses in the winter ie what frost protection is in place,  that’s one of the reasons I have a unit is all vans are inside overnight so no freezing issues

Darran

John Mart

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 06:45:43 pm »
What’s your policy on the vans being at staff houses in the winter ie what frost protection is in place,  that’s one of the reasons I have a unit is all vans are inside overnight so no freezing issues

Darran
This is the first winter, but the agreement is that everything gets drained and an oil radiator goes in. We pay the cost for each night. We've not worked out what it will be yet. There's obviously a trust issue here.

John Mart

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 06:47:49 pm »
Nice one buddy. Keep the water thing to yourself, only takes one bored/jealous A-hole to get wind and throw a spanner in the works!! Pretty sad but there's always someone with too much time on their hands. 👍
It's a non issue. I told them what we'd use and he said it's a drop in the ocean. In the scale of the site that's true. It's a very large site with hundreds of companies.

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 10:58:50 pm »
I’d be interested to see how that goes over winter and should they “forget” to frost protect how you deal with it - how many vans/staff ?

Darran

John Mart

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 02:44:10 am »
I’d be interested to see how that goes over winter and should they “forget” to frost protect how you deal with it - how many vans/staff ?

Darran
It is a concern. If it happens the right to take the van home through deep frost forecasted weather will be lost. In the past when we’ve been caught out a couple of fan heaters chucked in the back for 1/2 - 1 hour is enough to defrost and assuming the systems are drained down we’d most likely get away with it. No one is perfect, but genuinely I have very reliable guys working for me.  I have considered fitting diesel heaters. That would obviously automate things. I may yet do that.

It’s three vans and three staff.

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 08:59:00 am »
It’s tricky - and your fortunate that the lads have suitable parking for the van overnight, my guys are good but I would still see someone forgetting to plug in especially over a weekend

Darran

Simon Trapani

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 10:19:20 am »
Someone’s bound to forget or misjudge the weather sooner or later. If you’ve got space it the unit then why not use it?

Fair play though, sounds like you’redoing great. I’d like to get to at least three vans, preferably with me in none of them!

John Mart

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 10:53:01 am »
Someone’s bound to forget or misjudge the weather sooner or later. If you’ve got space it the unit then why not use it.

Fair play though, sounds like you’redoing great. I’d like to get to at least three vans, preferably with me in none of them!
I think it will happen too. But as I said, unless it’s a really bad one it’s only an hour at most to defrost. There is also the threat of removing the privilege. It’ll be fine.

STEVE-UK

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 07:23:18 am »
Nice find mate, rare as hens teeth