geefree

GRAVE CLEANING
« on: September 30, 2007, 03:50:41 pm »
Hi,

Has anyone ever cleaned graves, headstones and memorial, monuments etc, ?

Cheers.

Gary.

Kwackers

Re: GRAVE CLEANING
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 04:05:28 pm »
Never even thought about something like that, have you been asked to quote for one?

I suppose you would just charge 1 hours worth, as i can't see it taking more than 25/30 minutes personally

geefree

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 04:08:59 pm »
yes but i have seen some and they are overgrown, and the whole thing is black, as opposed to white marble how it used to be,

just curious as to the best way and to pick brains if anyone has done one.

cheers

Kwackers

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 04:14:55 pm »
Good Idea.

Can see it being hard to find a point of sale for it, so unless your approached it could be hard.

steve doyle

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 04:33:07 pm »
Grave cleaning?

Over my dead................................

geefree

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 04:37:28 pm »
just had a go at cleaning my mums, who died a couple of months ago !....

but she wanted to be buried with her mum and dad and the grave is old and very black.  :'(

Kwackers

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 04:41:43 pm »
if it's really bad, you'll probably need to apply a bit less pressure but a tiny bit of heat.

The Great One

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 05:41:21 pm »
Hi

Go to or phone a local supplier and ask what they suggest for traffic dust, moss and aged stone, maybe a stonemasons or even a funeral director may know more.

Best of luck

Regards

Martin 8)

Londoner

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 07:45:43 pm »
I clean my grandparents grave with an old nail brush and a bucket of water with a squirt of washing up liquid.
I go every two years or so, they are buried in South Yardley Cemetry in Birmingham which is about 100 miles from where I live.
The stone comes up like new, unlike my grandparents.

Kwackers

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 10:17:35 pm »
I know that one 5 miles from me.

drive surgeon

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 10:19:40 pm »
jesus thats a deadly job that!!   maybe its a good idea as graves go like flags. (black)  there would be enough of them to do too in one cemetry. you would need to be very carefull not to damage them.  how would you advertise it, in the cemetry itself.??  

northstar

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 07:48:45 am »
Make sure you don't quote tombe much or you cadaver customer who is unhappy about coffin up for the bill.

geefree

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 10:32:19 am »
going up to mums grave is  is not something i found pleasant she had a brain tumour and died in june, i asked advice regarding cleaning graves, from professional people on this site.

im afraid i am not in a joking mood regarding this, and although some may find having a laugh over coffins and graves, i am not one of them ,

Thanks to all the other inputs regarding cleaning.

will take them on board.

Cheers.

Gary.

northstar

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 11:44:42 am »
Gary,
Absolutely not my intention to cause offence, but sincere apologies if I have done.
Mike

garyj

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 12:14:30 pm »
Not one product recommended except washing up liquid  >:(.

I've been watching this thread as my mums stone could do with a clean and really don't think Fairy Liquid is the way to go. Marble is a soft stone and can be quite easy to scratch, the white stones especially seem to show the dirt and grime from traffic and the elements.

Can anyone recommend something that will do a good clean rather than a maintenance wipe over. As marble is porous once the moss gets in there it is really hard to get off and leaves a black 'scar' and I'm even wondering if the marks left behind are permanent unless professionally polished in some way.
I'm thinking something alcohol based and quick drying applied by a miracle cloth followed by a coat of something to stop the moss growth. 

creweexcel

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 02:40:41 pm »
you have to be careful of lettering. fairy liquid seems the way.

Art

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 03:51:13 pm »
This thread was about marble. So it might give a few ideas to try

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=42591.0

Arthur

Roger Oakley

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 09:44:00 am »
The 2 Garys,
Have a look at this site
http://www.tensid.com/index.php

It sounds like what you need is the Marble poultice or the liquid Marble cleaner gel, check to limitations on these as the cleaner gel is not intended for Black Marbel, if you give them a call ask to speak to Richard, very helpful. Remember you PPE as some of this stuff is very strong.

Ryan Phillips

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 04:50:23 pm »
recently cleaned an old family gravestone which was white marble but over the years had gone black was trying for ages with scrubing brush not much joy then the cemetry caretaker came over and said use parazone bleach neat but not any other brand dont know why so igot a couple of bottles put it on and it came up a treat

garyj

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 05:13:45 pm »
Ummmm  :-\ tempted to give it a go, but will stay away from the black lettering. Thanks though, I'll let you know how it goes.

Dropped some peannuts in a saucepan of chocolate once, they came out a Treat as well  :P