Rob_Mac

Re: Using Self employed staff
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 07:28:54 pm »
The main reason on here it maybe.

It certainly isn't my reason for working this way ;)

Rob ;D

TN Cleaning Services Ltd

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 07:45:36 pm »
The self employed guys I use are definitely not cheaper than employees.
Don't know how you work that one out?

G O Cleaning

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 10:03:47 pm »
The main reason on here it maybe.

It certainly isn't my reason for working this way ;)

Rob ;D

Explain then 

G O Cleaning

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 10:25:08 pm »
We have one se others are employed, in the past we have used SE office cleaners far cheaper than employed, they where regd to have own transport, ins, equip etc still cheaper than employed.
Once you factor in Employers NI, holiday / sick pay, training courses payroll etc but maybe its me  ::)roll

Rob_Mac

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 10:04:14 am »
A SSSTS qualified supervisor, with CSCS card, IPAF/PAL license, who works away from home is not cheap to sub contract to.

You may be presuming all SE are the same.

The answer to why I work the way I do is simple - it suits my business, whether that is perceived by yourself as 'legit' or not is neither here or there

Rob ;D

G O Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 02:42:44 pm »
A SSSTS qualified supervisor, with CSCS card, IPAF/PAL license, who works away from home is not cheap to sub contract to.

You may be presuming all SE are the same.

The answer to why I work the way I do is simple - it suits my business, whether that is perceived by yourself as 'legit' or not is neither here or there

Rob ;D
Rob,
Reason for the initial post was simply curiousity, as you state yourself its a grey area using Se. To be honest I dont really understand your post, as you now mention sub contract which is totally different ball game, anyhow...

If its suits yourself fair play,  I did find it surprising sitting back and looking at some of your posts as I had this false perception that you was running a large company, again this is not a dig  ;) I have spoken to a couple of other members on here who were also surprised with your honesty .
  Funny enough I had the same impression with a anther forum member, via his posts. Having spoken to him it truns out I was totally wrong again.  Have fun best Mike

TN Cleaning Services Ltd

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 09:16:01 pm »

View Profile   Re: Using Self employed staff
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 10:25:08 pm » Reply with quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: TN Cleaning Services Ltd on Yesterday at 07:45:36 pm

We have one se others are employed, in the past we have used SE office cleaners far cheaper than employed, they where regd to have own transport, ins, equip etc still cheaper than employed.
Once you factor in Employers NI, holiday / sick pay, training courses payroll etc but maybe its me  Roll Eyes 

That's office cleaning though which isn't very highly priced compared to other types of cleaning services.
Does it work out the same for your other services?

TN Cleaning Services Ltd

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 09:17:21 pm »
How do you copy another persons post so it comes up in the box when you reply?

king marko

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 09:24:54 pm »
I used to work "self employed" for a local guy who owned a large window cleaning round.
I used his van, filled up with his water, used his equipment and he insisted on us wearing his uniform.
The only thing I had to pay for was fuel.
I worked full time 5 days a week, but could finish when I'd more or less completed the days work.
I had to ask for time off in advance and book holidays.
The way it worked was I invoiced him after every round completed, and got 50% of the round value

Is what he was/is doing (he has 5 vans out) dodgy then??

BDCS

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 11:05:52 pm »

In the top right hand corner of each post is a button "quote", press that and write under the quote - quite simple even for me

G O Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 06:40:07 am »
I used to work "self employed" for a local guy who owned a large window cleaning round.
I used his van, filled up with his water, used his equipment and he insisted on us wearing his uniform.
The only thing I had to pay for was fuel.
I worked full time 5 days a week, but could finish when I'd more or less completed the days work.
I had to ask for time off in advance and book holidays.
The way it worked was I invoiced him after every round completed, and got 50% of the round value

Is what he was/is doing (he has 5 vans out) dodgy then??

You worked for him full time ... why didnt he employ you ??? Was it possibly cheaper for him  ??? 

Its up to you how you work  ::)roll - speak to Hmrc tell them exactly what you have posted above here their response.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 09:08:28 am »
Mike

There was no edge to my reply.

It is difficult to determine what is a large business without divulging what my turnover is and what my profit is.

You will appreciate that I wont be doing that.

In perspective I would say that it is not at the level of JV Price but it is, in relation to most others on here, up there.

I am proud that I have managed to develop it the way I have, without the commitment of full time employees, it continues to grow and it is expected, without the Farrow System to take a substantial leap forward, within the next twelve months.

My staggered workload and lengthy spells of no works is the reason for the set up. This is being dealt with.

If you put the amount of actual work time, against turnover & then subsequent profit I have an extremely healthy business.

We are in a quiet spell at the moment and I will do nothing from December to the end of February (same every year).

Dependant on how you view a large business I doubt you could argue that I am doing very well.

If someone phoned me up and said 'I need ten people on site tomorrow morning' it would happen. If there was a further call to get another six people elsewhere - they would not be let down.

It's all about how the business is perceived, how it is perceived on here (to me) is not important, what I gain as profit, whether the people I use feel valued and are well paid and most importantly is the client happy are what I concentrate on.

The business continues to grow and I keep investing profit back into the future development.

Is that a small business

Rob ;D

G O Cleaning

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 09:43:50 am »
Mike

There was no edge to my reply.

It is difficult to determine what is a large business without divulging what my turnover is and what my profit is.

You will appreciate that I wont be doing that.

In perspective I would say that it is not at the level of JV Price but it is, in relation to most others on here, up there.

I am proud that I have managed to develop it the way I have, without the commitment of full time employees, it continues to grow and it is expected, without the Farrow System to take a substantial leap forward, within the next twelve months.

My staggered workload and lengthy spells of no works is the reason for the set up. This is being dealt with.

If you put the amount of actual work time, against turnover & then subsequent profit I have an extremely healthy business.

We are in a quiet spell at the moment and I will do nothing from December to the end of February (same every year).

Dependant on how you view a large business I doubt you could argue that I am doing very well.

If someone phoned me up and said 'I need ten people on site tomorrow morning' it would happen. If there was a further call to get another six people elsewhere - they would not be let down.

It's all about how the business is perceived, how it is perceived on here (to me) is not important, what I gain as profit, whether the people I use feel valued and are well paid and most importantly is the client happy are what I concentrate on.

The business continues to grow and I keep investing profit back into the future development.

Is that a small business

Rob ;D

Yes as you only have one employee .... You, only kidding give us a smile  ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 09:55:25 am »
 ;D

Rob ;D

Knocker

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 12:12:39 pm »
Hi Rob (M Clean)

Thats a great way to run your business. Making sure the profits end up in your pocket and not somebody elses pocket.

G O Cleaning

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 05:56:04 pm »
there you go, enjoy  ;)

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employment-status/

One heading -

Employer's obligations (worker's employment status)

It is a general requirement that those wishing to take on workers consider the terms and conditions of a particular engagement to determine whether the worker is an employee or self-employed. If these requirements are not met it creates unfair competition between those businesses that meet their responsibilities and those that do not. :o

Think it says it all really

G O Cleaning

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2013, 09:13:37 am »

Don't tell him ... then he can't use my quotes   :D

G O Cleaning

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 08:58:07 am »
Seems that most wc's no what they are doing

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=174155.0