waynebarry

Roof Cleaning
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:25:07 pm »
Hi I have been asked to do a house roof clean which I would normally do by jet washing, but the client has asked it to be done using a differnt method because the tiles are like a thin slate.
Hot low preasure steam cleaning has been mentioned and even something called a duff machine, can anyone give me some advice on these machines i.e what to look for and where to hire them from. Cheers Wayne.

TomCrowther

Re: Roof Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:41:05 pm »
I am also interested in this thread. I have seen a system which may be pressure washer based, sending a foam out all over the roof {works on steep roofs too}. Leave it for a period and then pressure wash off on a very low setting and it comes up superb. {No idea what the make is though}

jaespray

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 08:52:21 pm »
hi wayne   try wwing  doff or jos systems
regards john

waynebarry

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:17:08 pm »
cheers Jaespray you have been very helpful.

greencleaning

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:11:47 am »
it is also a good time for shingles to be checked for damage from the winter months. If there are any bent or damaged roofing, before power washing would be the time to change them.

jaespray

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 10:43:09 am »
if you are talking wood shingles    i would not touch them untill well clear of the frost zone
regards john

Gutter Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:05:48 pm »
In my experience it is never ever ever suitable to pressure wash a roof even at low pressure as it seriously damages the tiles and pointing. You can do it by hand but it takes a long time. Price accordingly.

jaespray

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 10:44:26 pm »
ok ??? ???

gb property care

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:50:14 pm »
How does it damage the tiles?

Rob_Mac

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 08:51:49 am »
What a load of b*ll**ks

The basis of that statement is what!!!!. I clean supermarket roofs - would they have them cleaned if that was the case??

Rob ;D

BDCS

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 09:07:03 am »
He never said you should'nt clean them - "just do it by hand"  - probably does a lot "by hand"   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Blast Away

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 09:26:04 am »
Sodium Percarbonate(Oxygen Bleach)

I've done a couple now with it but it's no good on mossy roofs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaNoO2Vm39I&feature=related

Gutter Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 07:48:30 pm »
Hope it works out for you mate but I was only saying that in my experience, the use of any sort of pressurised water method is seriously damaging. Roofers will tell you that it can reduce tile life by up to 15 years if you use high pressure, ask one.

www.guttercleaninglondon.co.uk

Rob_Mac

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 08:26:46 pm »
There's no hope it works out for me - it is working out!!!

What is your experience?

I'll give you one of my experiences - a supermarket roof - some 20 000sqm, small amount of ingress, a lot of mess and one very happy customer, who happens to be one of the top three supermarkets in the country.

Where does the figure taking 15 years off the life of the roof come from?? and if it comes from your mate where does he get that nfo from.

There is an amount of surface that comes down with the algae & detritus and the work is like anything else, if done properly by someone who knows what they are doing it is like looking at a new roof!!!

I would say I have more experience than you and I know that the impact on the roof does not take 15 years off the life of it.

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 09:12:27 pm »
I notice on your website that you have a testimonial from Twickenham.

Take a look at the Twickenham Asda store roof - I cleaned that about three months ago. Not a very big job but you will certainly see before and after because it joins a Currys or something next door and I had to make a dividing line between the two parts of the roof.

No damage and no 15 years loss of life!!!

Rob ;D

jaespray

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 09:19:03 pm »
when i wash roofs i use a propper roof washing flat surface washer    i do the work with a propper roofer    any damage is caused buy   age   mosses   or previous bad roofing    i would say a propper wash PUTS a extra 15 years of life into a roof ;D
regards john

greencleaning

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 02:38:08 am »
Chemical roof cleaning will damage shingles, gutters, and landscaping.  If you’re using the right chemicals with the proper procedures and rinsing techniques then you have nothing to fear.

Blast Away

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 01:48:55 pm »
Chemical roof cleaning will damage shingles, gutters, and landscaping.  If you’re using the right chemicals with the proper procedures and rinsing techniques then you have nothing to fear.

How much money have you made from your website adsense by informing people of this?

gordonswindows

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 11:25:52 pm »
Sorry Rob but gutter cleaning is right

He did not say your roof would not look clean he said it may and probably will cause damage to the roof and he is absolutely correct

How about a different example..wash your car with TfR and it will look clean but if you have used the wrong type of TFR the paint will fade and the metal will begin to rust over the coming months

And another thing about power washing roofs, health and safety and I don't mean yours .

I also agree with one of your statements about it "being done properly by someone who knows what he is doing" but judging your work by purely cosmetic results does not let you become such a person

Don't shout and blow, try listening or even asking things to be explained and you will be amazed by what you can learn, qualified experienced people are not going to jump into a slanging match to share their hard earned experience and skills.

Try hard brushing roofs and then see how clean a roof really can be, what you want another example ? Ok why do we wfp with a brush and not just blast windows clean with pure water? Do you get it yet? Can you hear me over your shouting
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

Rob_Mac

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 05:17:53 pm »
There's no evidential proof in either persons statements that pressure washing a roof causes damage (I am whispering.)

The example of wfp on glass is something completely different and bears no relevance. My works are subjected to quite a high degree of inspection. They are often carried out on trading stores with way above the average health and safety procedures.

That seems to be a reply of half finished responses with no substance to back them up.

I have been on your profile to have a look at your website. It doesn't seem to exist (as it backs back onto your profile) - still whispering.

Rob ;D