mark mann

roof cleaning
« on: November 17, 2010, 12:30:26 pm »
hi guys

i have been asked about roof cleaning and as im a window cleaner posted on the wc site and got a good response form one guy but obviously not many responses.

i was wondering if i get more replies on here for methods used and price range. my customer has been quoted 2000 quid which he isnt willing to pay that much.

any advice on this subject and price guide?
an optimist takes the tartare sauce with him when he goes fishing -

Alan McTernan

Re: roof cleaning
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:18:26 pm »
Hi Mark

Roof cleaning can be hard work. And the price depends on the height and size and what they require? Do they want it cleaned or just the moss scraped/brushed off?

When someone asks me about window cleaning i give them a window cleaners number, maybe you should see if there is someone in your area and get a finders fee!!! Just a thought ;)

Regards
Alan

jaespray

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:19:55 pm »
Hi Mark

Roof cleaning can be hard work. And the price depends on the height and size and what they require? Do they want it cleaned or just the moss scraped/brushed off?

When someone asks me about window cleaning i give them a window cleaners number, maybe you should see if there is someone in your area and get a finders fee!!! Just a thought ;)

Regards
Alan

i agree with alan   i dont pretend to be a window cleaner
regards john

Blast Away

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:57:47 pm »
Fancy cleaning one this steep?

This one here the chemical did most of the work and then pressure wash which is only needed lightly.

Then there's mossy which involves a more detailed clean up post clean. Only a loon would scrape moss off a roof like this;

jaespray

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 08:15:11 pm »
easy    steaper the better   check out   roof cleaner dr520
regards john

mark mann

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 11:48:26 pm »
thanks for replies all -

i like the idea of a finders fee - i shoulda taken pic and posted.

scrappin off for a loon is that coz it would still look poope or coz too labour intensive?

and are all roof cleaning jobs i take it a 2 man job?

:)
an optimist takes the tartare sauce with him when he goes fishing -

jaespray

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 11:57:22 pm »
hi mark  when i do roof jobs  i work with my son (he is a roofer)
so the customer gets a very good job  with people who take pride in there work
regards john

drive surgeon

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 08:17:39 pm »
blast away, what did you use to pre spray the roof?   sodium hypochlorite?

drive surgeon

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:32:32 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WTgzN199X9k

i looked at the mosmatic roof cleaner but for most roofs i see it wud not work on. as the depth of tiles is to steep so the rotary bar wud catch the edge of tile when rolling down.

Blast Away

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 08:46:39 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WTgzN199X9k

i looked at the mosmatic roof cleaner but for most roofs i see it wud not work on. as the depth of tiles is to steep so the rotary bar wud catch the edge of tile when rolling down.

Yeh they're overrated mate.

The roof in the above image was pre sprayed with hypo. Nice and easy then with a turbo nozzle.

drive surgeon

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:54:46 pm »
your work looks excellent lee. i wud be proud of that myself.  its all a bit daunting when im used to working on the ground. there must be so many issues with roof cleaning. also did you use the hypo straight or mixed with water? i always use a mask with hypo as it gets on my chest.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 08:57:57 pm »
I'd be scared of the hypo getting on the lawn when you blast it all off.. i just blast f*** out of it.. ;D

Blast Away

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:28 pm »
your work looks excellent lee. i wud be proud of that myself.  its all a bit daunting when im used to working on the ground. there must be so many issues with roof cleaning. also did you use the hypo straight or mixed with water? i always use a mask with hypo as it gets on my chest.

Cheers mate. I am proud, that's why I come across a bit of a show off on here.  ;)

Got a chem feed fitted after the pump. But in the past we have poured a full 25 litre drum into the tank with 100 litres water and sent it straight through the pump. Never had a problem with the seals by doing this but stopped just in case.

Blast Away

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 09:01:22 pm »
I'd be scared of the hypo getting on the lawn when you blast it all off.. i just blast f*** out of it.. ;D

Never had that problem mate but always have 2 machines running when doing roof jobs. Me on the roof and my brother on the ground.

drive surgeon

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 09:04:05 pm »
are things slowing down now winters here or are you busy doing gutters.

Blast Away

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 09:08:55 pm »
are things slowing down now winters here or are you busy doing gutters.

Accy brick clean today and a patio and 2 big residential block cleans starting tomorrow in the centre of Manchester. Still doing at least 1 Wetherspoons pub a week at night and got other jobs booked in. Not too bad. Will slow down end of November but always got Graffiti to do for Co-op.

drive surgeon

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 09:12:50 pm »
i hate the way it slows down in winter. i mean why does it get so slow? does no one need pressure washing in winter?  it seems like no one sprays graffiti in winter or the commercial clients dont want any work either. even the gutter cleaning is not busy. maybe its the recession?

Matt Gibson

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 09:49:55 pm »

Cheers mate. I am proud, that's why I come across a bit of a show off on here.  ;)

Got a chem feed fitted after the pump. But in the past we have poured a full 25 litre drum into the tank with 100 litres water and sent it straight through the pump. Never had a problem with the seals by doing this but stopped just in case.

What mix do you use for the feed mate? im assuming you need a fair bit of chem if its running after the pump, or is it like a sealed unit that you fill up with chem?

Any links to what feed you use? i figured that if you had the machine running all day, and the feed was after the pump, it would use a hell of alot of chem.

Blast Away

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 10:26:11 pm »
Don't know the exact ratio mate but from it suck from a 14% drum of hypo continuous the drum would be empty after 10 minutes.

Wouldn't use the feed on decking though as I've found it needs to be stronger or even on black spots too.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 10:30:44 pm »
so you just have a mix in a 25l drum and suck from that just to put the chems down fast, then rinse off?

How do you feed it after the pump? doesnt that mean you have to tap into the high pressure hose?

i was thinking more of something like the wet blast nozzle, and stick the pickup hose in a drum of premix hypo?

yeah, i found its easier to use a sprayer on decks/patios then you can use a good strong mix